• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-20s head for Pan Am Games

U-20s head for Pan Am Games
    published: Wednesday | July 11, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter
    ALREADY SET back by what coach Wendell Downswell describes as 'inadequate preparation time', Jamaica's 18-man Under-20 football squad heads for Brazil today for the Pan American Games.

"We've had a couple of training sessions but nothing to any great extent. We have only had the full squad for a week now," Downswell said.
    "It's not a team that we have prepared. So I can't say that they will be able to be A or B, two weeks of preparation heading into a tournament of this magnitude."

"What can one say?" he went on.

"We haven't had any high-quality international games or anything like that so I guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for some sort of positive results," he said.

The team has so far been hampered by the fact that the majority of the squad, the Under-17 and Under-20, players have being unavailable for practice due to various examinations during the period. The fact that the tournament was originally expected to have been for Under 23s has not helped things as, according to Downswell, at least four players who were originally considered have had to be left out of the squad.

Campaign against Colombia
    Jamaica have been placed in Group C along with Argentina, Colombia and Haiti. They will kick off their campaign against Colombia on Sunday.

Argentina and Colombia will be using Under-17 teams for the tournament.
    "The good thing about this squad is that we are looking to keep it as an Under-23 squad for the next Olympic Games and they would be well ahead," said Downswell.

"Looking at it from that aspect, they will have had some exposure," he said.

The 18-man squad comprises seven Under-17 players and 11 Under-20s.
    Squad: Goalkeepers - Dwayne Kerr (Reno), Dwayne Miller (Harbour View).

Defenders - Ajuran Brown (August Town), Troy Smith (Village United), Eric Vernon (Portmore United), Jermaine Jarrett (Hotchkiss School - U.S.), Damaine Thompson (Bamboo United).

Midfielders - Andrae Campbell (Jonathan Grant), Ricardo Cousins (Portmore United), Edward Campbell (Village United), John Ross Doyley (Glenmuir High). Norman Bailey (Meadhaven), Dwayne Smith (Meadhaven) Keammar Daley (Meadhaven), Obrian Woodbine (Reno).
    Forwards - James Thomas (Portmore United), Alanzo Adlam (Excelsior High School), Draion McNain (Reno).
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    U-20s head for Pan Am Games
    published: Wednesday | July 11, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter
    ALREADY SET back by what coach Wendell Downswell describes as 'inadequate preparation time', Jamaica's 18-man Under-20 football squad heads for Brazil today for the Pan American Games.

"We've had a couple of training sessions but nothing to any great extent. We have only had the full squad for a week now," Downswell said.
    "It's not a team that we have prepared. So I can't say that they will be able to be A or B, two weeks of preparation heading into a tournament of this magnitude."

"What can one say?" he went on.

"We haven't had any high-quality international games or anything like that so I guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for some sort of positive results," he said.

Oh! Oooooh!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I called in on CVM's Sports Factor last night and pointed out Boxhill's administration lack of preparation for all of Jamaica's football teams.
      Ian Burnett, the Obsever Sports writer, responded by saying that after the Jamaica-Chile game there was no preparation for the Asian tour. The Reggae Boyz went straight on the tour.

Comment

is this not a built in excuse for every single competion. There is always a reason why you cant do something! succesful people is who find a way to do it.

Comment

Looks like an early exit

Downswell
          Looks like wi heading fi some crocodile tears from the forum intelligentsia afta dem get bounce from the tournament.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

The whole a them a joker. All when them have 1 year worth of preparation time them still no how to coach or pick players. The problem is that they are not picking the squad right. I hardly see players from certain parish in any of our squad. It seems as if you do not play for a top premier league side or top school there is no call up for you. Anybody want to make senior squad betta go play fi Harbour view or whoever is the champion for that year.

Comment

Jamaica coaching call up

Where the hell is Davis after taking so much side to premier league.

Why a successfull coach like that is not even a part of our youth program but tappa come get post.

Comment

Damn Refs Again

That was a clear offside against chile. What the hell going on . Nigeria is rob now.

Comment

The Pan American website shows Jamaica beating Colombia 1-0 today.

Comment

Very good win against Colombia. Let's see what happens the rest of the way.

Suppose dem did prepare?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Since the Reggae Boyz and Girlz did not have enough time to prepare I consider the PanAm Games as such.

Comment

Originally posted by No Mercy View Post
                        The whole a them a joker. All when them have 1 year worth of preparation time them still no how to coach or pick players. The problem is that they are not picking the squad right. I hardly see players from certain parish in any of our squad. It seems as if you do not play for a top premier league side or top school there is no call up for you. Anybody want to make senior squad betta go play fi Harbour view or whoever is the champion for that year.
                        I think this was meant as a joke? If not tell me how not having a planned, long term coaching stint...affects or does not affect maximizing growth potential of the talents of our young footballers and or maximizing potential of those chosen to represent the country and bring joy and satisfaction to the players and the fans?

What impact does an underprepared or a not prepared team have on growth of the game into economic 'bigwig' and or the financial future of our best football talents?

What has our football and the country missed out on in loss opportunities that accrued while throwing underprepared and or not prepared teams into competitions and friendly matches when one considers EXPOSURE and attendant earnings - tangible and intangible - for players, coaches and country?

If not best preparing to aid our footballers to grow to maximum potential and therefore not maximizing returns for and on our God-given talented players is now second to what the JFF is all about...????...I am not understanding!

Comment

Working...
                        X