Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Edwards hopeful ahead of Pan Am Games

Coach Edwards hopeful ahead of Pan Am Games

Ian Allen/Staff Photographer -National women's football coach Charles Edwards (left) speaking with Venicia Reid (centre) and Shanique Mitchell during a practice session at the Waterhouse Mini Stadium yesterday.

LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter

The senior national women's football team that will participate in the Pan American Games in Brazil from July 13-29 beat the women's Under-20 team 6-2 in a warm-up match at the Waterhouse Mini Stadium yesterday.

The match was part of a very short one-month preparation period as the team gets ready for its first Pan Am Games.

Coach Charles Edwards said with such little preparation he is merely being hopeful when he meets his opposition.

"We are going to remain optimistic, but with such a short time we are just going to hope for the best result when we get there," he said. Jamaica will play their first match against Ecuador on Thursday, a day before the games officially begin. They then face Brazil on July 14, Uruguay on July 16 and Canada on July 18.

"I've seen a couple of clips on the Brazil team and we hope to be able to do something against them. Ecuador isn't bad. They seem to have a pretty good record and Canada seem to be the tough nuts in our group," Edwards noted.

Edwards was appointed head coach a little over a month ago, replacing Vin Blaine who came within one victory of qualifying the Under-20 team and the senior team for their respective World Cups.

important tour

Edwards, who is hoping to go one better, said the tour will be as important to him as the players.

"This tour is important for me to see where I am with the players - our relationship, our development together so far," said Edwards, who also coaches Barbican.

"While the team is getting better the coach has to develop in terms of taking control of the team, getting maximum out of the players and getting them mentally sharp.
    So this will be a good evaluation for me."
    The Reggae Girlz are scheduled to leave for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Monday afternoon.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post

Ian Allen/Staff Photographer -National women's football coach Charles Edwards (left) speaking with Venicia Reid (centre) and Shanique Mitchell during a practice session at the Waterhouse Mini Stadium yesterday.

The match was part of a very short one-month preparation period as the team gets ready for its first Pan Am Games.
    ...and,

Coach Charles Edwards said with such little preparation he is merely being hopeful when he meets his opposition.
    ...nervous ...then...
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

The senior national women's football team that will participate in the Pan American Games in Brazil from July 13-29 beat the women's Under-20 team 6-2 in a warm-up match at the Waterhouse Mini Stadium yesterday.

"We are going to remain optimistic, but with such a short time we are just going to hope for the best result when we get there," he said. Jamaica will play their first match against Ecuador on Thursday, a day before the games officially begin. They then face Brazil on July 14, Uruguay on July 16 and Canada on July 18.

"I've seen a couple of clips on the Brazil team and we hope to be able to do something against them. Ecuador isn't bad. They seem to have a pretty good record and Canada seem to be the tough nuts in our group," Edwards noted.

Edwards was appointed head coach a little over a month ago, replacing Vin Blaine who came within one victory of qualifying the Under-20 team and the senior team for their respective World Cups.

important tour

Edwards, who is hoping to go one better, said the tour will be as important to him as the players.

"This tour is important for me to see where I am with the players - our relationship, our development together so far," said Edwards, who also coaches Barbican.

"While the team is getting better the coach has to develop in terms of taking control of the team, getting maximum out of the players and getting them mentally sharp.
      So this will be a good evaluation for me."
      The Reggae Girlz are scheduled to leave for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Monday afternoon.
      Anybody have Mr. Edwards resume ?

Comment

Working...
      X