Leicester City captain Wes Morgan's fairytale rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leicester City captain Wes Morgan's fairytale rise

Wes Morgan has played every minute of Leicester's remarkable Premier League season and it was his goal on Sunday that sent the Foxes seven points clear with just six games to go.
    The 32-year-old headed home to seal a precious 1-0 win over Southampton on Super Sunday to draw the prospect of a maiden top-flight crown ever closer.
    Here, his former Nottingham Forest team-mate Gregor Robertson reflects on his friend's remarkable rise from overweight youth-team player to captain of the Premier League's unlikely champions-in-the-making..

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...fairytale-rise
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

In his two games facing the Foxes backline this season, Deeney admits he struggled to impose his game on the league leaders, revealing that the Leicester back line is so well regimented that it is a monumental task to try and move the defenders out of position.
    'Part of my job leading the line for Watford is to occupy centre-halves - by that I mean those battles with Huth, say, to try to win headers when the ball is played forward.
    'But I also look to bring centre-halves out of position to the flanks and make space for my team-mates in the middle,' added Deeney.
    'It is difficult to do that against Leicester because their centre-halves, Huth and Wes Morgan, never put themselves in danger of being isolated.
    'When Watford had the ball in wide areas they kind of left us to it, and concentrated on dealing with the cross rather than stopping it being put in.
    'Huth and Morgan take two positions - one takes the near post and the other takes the middle of the box near the penalty spot as if to say "go on, cross it, and we will deal with it".'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz44snWxOTB
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      In his two games facing the Foxes backline this season, Deeney admits he struggled to impose his game on the league leaders, revealing that the Leicester back line is so well regimented that it is a monumental task to try and move the defenders out of position.
      'Part of my job leading the line for Watford is to occupy centre-halves - by that I mean those battles with Huth, say, to try to win headers when the ball is played forward.
      'But I also look to bring centre-halves out of position to the flanks and make space for my team-mates in the middle,' added Deeney.
      'It is difficult to do that against Leicester because their centre-halves, Huth and Wes Morgan, never put themselves in danger of being isolated.
      'When Watford had the ball in wide areas they kind of left us to it, and concentrated on dealing with the cross rather than stopping it being put in.
      'Huth and Morgan take two positions - one takes the near post and the other takes the middle of the box near the penalty spot as if to say "go on, cross it, and we will deal with it".'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz44snWxOTB
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
      As I watched them yesterday morning I was amazed how many rejects are about to win the title. Danny Simpson ... MU, Huth .. Stoke/Fulham ... Dyer fomerly of Swansea and most astonishing is the former Villa man Albrighton ... who is about to win the league as Villa gets flushed out of the BPL
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Just goes to show the role fitness, chemistry and sticking to the plan can play. I have been thinking about writing a little thing on the Aston Villa team, the wealth of talent they have all the way up and down the lineup yet there they are at the bottom of the table and every game it gets worse. Just goes again to show the massive, that most think it is about talent, yet this set of gritty rejects created a team and have overachieved by maximizing their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses.

You know I have always advocated defense first, press hard in mids and counterattack with speed upon interception, now we have a team that clearly demonstrates how this can be done and Jamaican talent is tailor-made for this style, yet with a little success we revert back to the Brazil wannabe style. We need midfielders off the order of Mcanuff, defense oriented, super fit and also pretty fast and can carry the ball and pass, we have never seen a Mcanuff type midfielder in Jamaican ball history, excellent in defense, very fit and very good on attack.

Fast strikers that are excellent open field ball carriers much like Vardy, speed and spirit, we have the defenders, no doubt.

I look forward to day we can field a super fit, super dedicated aggregation with some of those qualities and we can play a new style of defense first , strong press, counterattack ball.

Some people say the best defense is a good offense, that is pure tryhpe, an excellent defense creates the best offense!!!

Comment

Working...
        X