Five top US women footballers sue for better pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five top US women footballers sue for better pay

"We are the best in the world, have three World Cup Championships, four Olympic Championships, and the USMNT [men's team] get paid more just to show up than we get paid to win major championships," said Solo.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35937077
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Pro sports should not be about equality in this sense. So, players in the WNBA should be making what NBA players make?!?!

Will never happen in my lifetime!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sounds like the argument the female golfers and tennis players are trying to make... BUT, until they attract the same viewership and paying audience to their sport, as the men do, then no way "equality" can reign.
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
        Sounds like the argument the female golfers and tennis players are trying to make... BUT, until they attract the same viewership and paying audience to their sport, as the men do, then no way "equality" can reign.
        I recall reading an article comparing the revenue and TV ads during the men's and women's WCs shows exactly why there is a a gap.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I don't even agree that women's tennis should demand equal pay to men's just so. Prize money should be a factor of sponsorship, tv revenue, gate receipts and set equality. If all other things remain equal, why should they be playing best of 3 sets while the men play best of 5 and yet deserve equal pay?!? Don't get it!

Likewise, I suppose women's figure skating is a bigger draw than men's. Well, they should be paid more than their male counterparts.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't think set equality should be a factor at all. Its not about the time and effort its about who wants to watch you perform.

Should the top male 1500m runner make more money that Usain because he runs 15 times the distance?
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Well in this case they are speaking about getting paid to play for the US national team, not playing for a pro team which is clearly different.

They are arguing that the womens national team is generating more revenue than the mens team. If that is really true, then maybe there is an argument to be made, not necessarily for pay equality since some of the income is generated by the opponent they play , but for them to earn more.

Citing U.S. Soccer's annual financial reports, the complaint says that the group's initial budget had projected a financial loss for both the men's and women's teams — but that the women's national team's success "almost exclusively" brought a projected $17.7 million profit. For the 2017 financial year, the players say, the federation now "projects a net profit from the WNT of approximately $5 million, while projecting a net loss of nearly $1 million for the MNT."

Both the women's and men's teams are required to play a minimum of 20 "friendly" games per year, the players say in their complaint. But while the women get a bonus of $1,350 only if they win a friendly, the men are guaranteed $5,000 no matter the outcome – and can make up to $17,625 per game depending on their opponent's FIFA ranking.

The EEOC complaint acknowledges that U.S. Soccer pays top-tier female players $72,000 a year to play in those 20 games. But it notes that if a male player is paid only the base amount of $5,000 for 20 games — and loses them all — he would still make $1,000 more than a woman who wins all 20 of her games.
              http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-pay-complaint
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                I don't think set equality should be a factor at all. Its not about the time and effort its about who wants to watch you perform.

Should the top male 1500m runner make more money that Usain because he runs 15 times the distance?
                Not sure that comparison works. Can't exactly say why I think it doesn't!

I still feel watching a woman play for 2 hours max can't compare to a 5 hour marathon between the men. Unless of course you're watching more than the game.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

They may have a point.

As usual, I have not read the entire complaint.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah but they don't have to face the Brasils, Args. or Germanys of the men's game. There would be no titles at their feet. Have them play the Arg. or Brasil men's team and if they keep the score line at one nil; I would say their argument is legit. The men's game is more demanding physically and technically.

Comment

Say what??

I have no words.

Comment

Boss there is a reason why Shelly Ann don't run against Bolt. You are trying to say I'm sexist, when that's far from the truth.

My point is that they cannot use the argument "look how many WC titles we won as opposed to the men's team". This argument will weaken their position (as I have pointed out in the first thread).

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                          Yeah but they don't have to face the Brasils, Args. or Germanys of the men's game. There would be no titles at their feet. Have them play the Arg. or Brasil men's team and if they keep the score line at one nil; I would say their argument is legit. The men's game is more demanding physically and technically.
                          Men's figure skating is more demanding, technically and physically. But I think most would agree that women's figure skating is more entertaining and intriguing.

So, I'm not sure the women's world champs need to be playing against Neymar for validation.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

LOL! Jawge head really nuh too good.

I wonder if him believe that a jazz or opera singer should get a bigger contract than Rihanna because what they do is more technically demanding. Well the singing part that is, because she does at times do some highly technical werk,werk,werk pon stage and inna the video dem!

Getting paid is about EARNING POWER Jawge, not physical or technical competence. Sometimes they correlate, sometimes not.
                            Last edited by Islandman; April 1, 2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Mo careful. Am I the one that said "Give me more money because look; I won three WC championships along with Olympic golds". Stay with the subject. This is no diffrent from saying I have nine
                              points from beating Bermuda, St.Vincent and St.Kitts I am a better team than Ja who has 2 points from playing CR,Mexico and the USA.

I know why you are side stepping the basis of the argument. It's the same tenet you would like to present for local players in the present Rboyz squad.

Comment

Working...
                              X