• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...and, "hear we go again!": U-23 under prepared for PanAm

U-20 Boyz also lack preparation, says Downswell
    By Livingston Scott Observer staff reporter
    Sunday, July 01, 2007

Like his female counterpart, Jamaica's Under-20 men's coach Wendell Downswell is bemoaning the lack of preparation ahead of the July 14-29 to this month's Pan American Games to be held in Brazil.

Former technical director Downswell said the sitting of final and CXC exams had placed the training on hold, but with most exams now completed, he expects to make the most of the last two weeks of preparation.

He said they had to close off all training until the exams as the parents wouldn't have it.

"Most of these players were out on Under-17 and Under-20 duties and were in training for most of this year during their school time, so... it would have been difficult for them," he explained.

Downswell added that some players were still sitting internal exams and have not yet joined the camp. However, he's expecting to have a full squad by next week.

The Young Boys will have their work cut out as they will face Concacaf kingpins Mexico, South American giants Argentina and Caribbean neighbours Haiti in the group stage.

"There is not much we can do but try to carry them to a satisfactory level," Downswell said. "This is more of a developmental phase for them, because the next major competition... is the Olympics in 2011.

"Originally we had planned for an Under-23 as there are about 10 players abroad who are a part of the Under-23 squad... but the fact that they have changed this and put us in this position is something we have no control over," he said.

He noted that with the limited time available, they will incorporate the various aspects of training into one. The team is scheduled to depart on July 11 and Downswell hopes to finalise the squad by this week.

-----
    They have changed this....
    I wonder who the hell is this person "They"?

...and, ...mmmm??? U-20 youngsters are U-23 also? Right?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Lack of preparation? But just a minute, we keep repeating history and constantly expect a different result, rather than failure.

It's like a man who treats his dog poorly every day, and is expecting that the dog will protect him when an intruder invades his premises. When that man eventually needs the dog for protection, the dog is going to jump the fence and find a female dog to mate.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

say story every day.. Whos job is to prepare the players.

Comment

GCE and CXC.

Them a gwaan like a last week them know bout exams.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It seems after the victory at the JFF election the Mandate manual was swept under the rug.

Comment

You really think U-20 is U-23 also?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              You really think U-20 is U-23 also?!?
              Yes!
              You may not realise it but, according to the "Press Release" every item pointed to as "being changed" i.e. being responsible for the change was known YEARS ago. That means if U-12 were the ages that had to be used then it MUST BE THAT YOU PREPARE THE U-12s to REPRESENT US!

Bingo the U-12 (or whatever) is our U-23!

BTW - That is one of the reasons why I am puzzled about Bora's preparation of the current squad...when he and his JFF knows from 'wappie waus a bwoy' that those players are not the core base of th 'real squad'.

The question: Why is he not preparing the real squad...particularly as, in Bora's own words...

“…playing is the best way to improve. When I was in charge of Mexico, we played 64 times, with the USA it was 94 - a record in itself - and with China it was 51.”

see - RBSC Editorial

http://reggaeboyzsc.com/editorials.aspx?id=125
              ...and, we all know CB said, during the Simoes' years we played 52 matches each year with CORE! - ...so Boxhill, who was Manager during that era has that background (knowledge)!

There is just no f@#$%^^%$ing excuse for f@#$%^&^^%%ing with us, the REGGAE BOYZ, Jamaica's Football and the COUNTRY!
              No EXCUSE!
              NONE!
              ZILCH!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Yes!
                You may not realise it but, according to the "Press Release" every item pointed to as "being changed" i.e. being responsible for the change was known YEARS ago. That means if U-12 were the ages that had to be used then it MUST BE THAT YOU PREPARE THE U-12s to REPRESENT US!

Bingo the U-12 (or whatever) is our U-23!

BTW - That is one of the reasons why I am puzzled about Bora's preparation of the current squad...when he and his JFF knows from 'wappie waus a bwoy' that those players are not the core base of th 'real squad'.

The question: Why is he not preparing the real squad...particularly as, in Bora's own words...

...and, we all know CB said, during the Simoes' years we played 52 matches each year with CORE! - ...so Boxhill, who was Manager during that era has that background (knowledge)!

There is just no f@#$%^^%$ing excuse for f@#$%^&^^%%ing with us, the REGGAE BOYZ, Jamaica's Football and the COUNTRY!
                No EXCUSE!
                NONE!
                ZILCH!
                Uh,oh.. Karl gone off di deep end to ra55...

Ah wha suh ?

Comment

Settle down, Karl. Let's deal with the Panam Games issue. The JFF thought that the Panam Games was going to be an U-23 affair and then they were told, "just the other day", that it would be an U-20 competition. The "rules" were changed. Is that fact or fiction? I would appreciate a simple answer because I really don't know myself, just trying to get to the root of your ire.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Settle down, Karl. Let's deal with the Panam Games issue. The JFF thought that the Panam Games was going to be an U-23 affair and then they were told, "just the other day", that it would be an U-20 competition. The "rules" were changed. Is that fact or fiction? I would appreciate a simple answer because I really don't know myself, just trying to get to the root of your ire.
                    Preliminary answer:
                    Sorry about not responding earlier...on the job.

Prelim Answer: Mind boggling that either i) The rules were changed "the other day"; or, ii) the Organisers of this revered Pam-Am Games would not give member associations time...adequate time to effect GREAT preparations.

Why - That would show -
                    a) A lack of 'worthy' organisation from a body with decades of experience..i.e. would show incompetence of the highest order;

b) It would be unfathomable that changes would be made at this "eleventh hour" without input and approval of member associations;

c) Consideration that "last minute fundamental changes" would have far-reaching ramifications on the quality of the tournament - possible inept performances;

d) Matter of fair-play - unfair to minnows as first world member associations with advanced football structure would have unfair advantage as far as assembling, teaching/coaching, match-readiness of 'new squad' as far as acceptability of quality play is concerned;

e) Effect inept performances would have on prestige of the Games/Pan-Am organisation

Finally: I will have to contact some persons to confirm or deny the JFF facts as stated. Give me some time...as I said, I am working on a few work-related matters.
                    Last edited by Karl; July 2, 2007, 10:17 AM.

Comment

The first Sunday in November can't come quick enough for Karl.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaica2099 View Post
                        The first Sunday in November can't come quick enough for Karl.
                        It really does not matter which person's physical body is in the president's chair after those elections. What matters is the mind set of that person being completely different from that of 2003 Burrell and 2007 Boxhill. So what that could mean Burrell or Boxhill or some other person being in charge...with different sensible mind-set that leads our football, on all levels, FORWARD!

The mind-set must be different!

Comment

Okay, so I take it your/the answer is forthcoming.

Right?

whew!

Anyway, just got off the phone with the JFF. The age group was changed from U-23 to U-20 (approved by FIFA in April) because some South American countries said their U-23s would be busy in various leagues and competitions at this time and they would not have been able to field decent teams.

Olympic qualifiers will be held later this year and that competition will remain U-23. But, hey, you never know!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Okay, so I take it your/the answer is forthcoming.

Right?

whew!

Anyway, just got off the phone with the JFF. The age group was changed from U-23 to U-20 (approved by FIFA in April) because some South American countries said their U-23s would be busy in various leagues and competitions at this time and they would not have been able to field decent teams.

Olympic qualifiers will be held later this year and that competition will remain U-23. But, hey, you never know!
                            So we are being told FIFA approved the change in April? April 2006 or April 2007?

Let us assume the worst case - April 2007...
                            ...when did the *JFF representing the Member State, Jamaica, approve the change? When did the JFF know of the change?

What actions were undertaken immediately by the JFF when it knew of the change - preparation of:
                            a) U-20 squad inclusive of some players who by performances deserving of place on the U-23 squad and were, as fact, on the U-23 squad;

b) U-23 squad with exclusion of all U-20 players;

c) preparations of both U-20 & u-23 squads to cover all contingencies;

d) hands folded i.e. nothing at all?

*Remember as rep of Member State Pan-Am the JFF had to be informed of proposed change...actual result of Pan-Am organisation vote for change or issued directive for change (stage when JFF's action to cover all contingencies would be taken...Pan-Am approval...and later, told of FIFA approval.

Aside: ...remember at one stage we were told Bora was preparing/using the U-23s (with few older heads..."experienced players" is the term I think was used to describe those older heads?) as SENIOR TEAM!
                            Last edited by Karl; July 2, 2007, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Karl, I think I agree with you, but when that day comes when the JFF has two age-group teams in training, just in case, what a day that would be!

Karl, Bora's U-23 team, how many were actually U-23? No, I will not do your homework for you again.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X