• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bora 'unravelled'?

Bora 'unravelled'?
    From The Sports DeskWith Ian Burnett Sports Editor
    Sunday, July 01, 2007

Tehran, Iran - Don't take him at face value. At times he can be very complex, and at others he's the ultimate pragmatist, but he's smart, intelligent, always thinking a step ahead, and he definitely knows his way around football.

He also knows how to be politically correct and when to secure things to his chest, but if you spend enough time in his company, you could begin to unravel the enigma that is Bora Milutinovic.

As yet many Reggae Boyz supporters are unsure what the make-up of the team is going to be when Jamaica begin preparation for one of the three CONCACAF berths to the 2010 South Africa World Cup Finals.

Since assuming responsibility of the Reggae Boyz last November, Bora has invited only four overseas-based players in the eight friendly games he's led heading into tomorrow's against the Islamic Republic of Iran.

This ploy has led many to believe that Bora will make the core of his World Cup team locally-based, complemented by the sprinkling of a few of the best overseas-based players.

But others, including this writer, are of the view that the standard and quality at the local level is too low for Bora to place so much responsibility on this group of players.

It has always been understanding that Bora's initial phase is to scout the island and try to identify the best talent and examine where that talent is on the international level, while continuing to develop and expand that talent pool.

The second phase is for Bora to blend the best of the local players with the more established overseas-based players, so that when these overseas-based players are denied release from their clubs, the Jamaica national team can still be of a high quality at the international level.

With that in mind, Bora has steadfastly gone about providing opportunities for the locally-based players, while ignoring the professional players even when available.

This action, to many, is seen as the Serbian-born Mexican coach sending mixed signals to the players, particularly the professionals. How else could you select such squads to face teams like Switzerland (0-2), Chile 0-1 and against the 47th ranked Iran, set for tomorrow.

In the three games the Boyz have played so far on this four-nation Asian tour, I have twice got clear hints from Bora in interviews that he's coming to the end of the first phase.

After the Boyz went down 0-3 to the 142nd FIFA ranked Vietnam last Sunday, I was a little bit taken aback by Bora's sense of calm in a post-game interview.

"I am much happier today than the last game, because I know more (about the players)," he said. "This is so important to make my idea of what we need to do to make a competitive team," added Bora, who refused to elaborate.

"... Day by day, I learn better what I am going to have (talent pool), which is good."
    Bora continued: "I remain more optimistic after the game than before the game," he said. "The public needs to know what my job is. I have patience and I know what my job is."

My take on his reaction to the performance of the team then is that he is convinced that at this stage of their development, the majority of these players can't shoulder the responsibility of leading the national team in World Cup qualification.

Then after the Boyz scored their first win, 2-0 against Malaysia on Thursday, the coach, in doing something he rarely does, singling out debutante goalkeeper Dwayne Miller for praise, said: "If after these four games we win two, three or four players, wow, we would win so much."

That statement, to me, is indicating that if a handful of players emerged from this tour impressing Bora with the requisite international quality, then as far as he is concerned, the tour would have been a success, leaving no doubt in my mind that the overseas professionals are going to be the players leading the charge in World Cup qualification.

So now, it would not surprise if national teams selected from now on bear more resemblance to the true World Cup squad.

We eagerly await the next few squads.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Bora 'unravelled'?
    From The Sports DeskWith Ian Burnett Sports Editor
    Sunday, July 01, 2007

Tehran, Iran - Don't take him at face value. At times he can be very complex, and at others he's the ultimate pragmatist, but he's smart, intelligent, always thinking a step ahead, and he definitely knows his way around football.

Then after the Boyz scored their first win, 2-0 against Malaysia on Thursday, the coach, in doing something he rarely does, singling out debutante goalkeeper Dwayne Miller for praise, said: "If after these four games we win two, three or four players, wow, we would win so much."

That statement, to me, is indicating that if a handful of players emerged from this tour impressing Bora with the requisite international quality, then as far as he is concerned, the tour would have been a success, leaving no doubt in my mind that the overseas professionals are going to be the players leading the charge in World Cup qualification.

So now, it would not surprise if national teams selected from now on bear more resemblance to the true World Cup squad.

We eagerly await the next few squads.
    Better late than never!

...but, in the case of preparations for the early rounds of World Cup 2010 eliminations - "late" could equal "elimination".

...either in our first match, which I am thinking will be a "winner moves on contest"

...or...

..."elimination" in earliest group stage as preparations would have barely got off the ground. How many practise sessions and matches would the "real team" have had together before those early qualifying stages? Making of TEAM at that stage would be far from being achieved.

My consistent position is based on lateness in having coach Bora appointed...very little time before our qualifiers commence. In any case using BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS from the get go as base core group with additions of emerging deserving replacement players is my commonsense policy. I know, none of us make JFF policy...Yup - It may be only me...but, making of TEAM, not any 'old team' but, excellent TEAM is key to my way of thinking!
    Last edited by Karl; July 1, 2007, 06:40 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Better late than never!

I know, none of us make JFF policy...Yup - It may be only me...but,
      What do you mean by the above statement Karl?
      President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Better late than never!

...but, in the case of preparations for the early rounds of World Cup 2010 eliminations - "late" could equal "elimination".

...either in our first match, which I am thinking will be a "winner moves on contest"

...or...

..."elimination" in earliest group stage as preparations would have barely got off the ground. How many practise sessions and matches would the "real team" have had together before those early qualifying stages? Making of TEAM at that stage would be far from being achieved.

My consistent position is based on lateness in having coach Bora appointed...very little time before our qualifiers commence. In any case using BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS from the get go as base core group with additions of emerging deserving replacement players is my commonsense policy. I know, none of us make JFF policy...Yup - It may be only me...but, making of TEAM, not any 'old team' but, excellent TEAM is key to my way of thinking!
        Mi nuh unnastan.. how long should be the player evaluation process ? How would you address shoring up for the unavailability/injury of Farin players (St. Vincent ?)

What is IS... we failed to qualify for Gold Cup.. yapping on about a 'perfect scenario' is cool but get back to the real world quick...

Comment

Working...
        X