• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WI cricket and Ja's football - big joke

WI cricket and Ja's football - big joke

FILE - Chris Gayle

Western Bureau

If somebody could create a theatrical production out of what is happening in Jamaica's football and West Indies cricket, I am pretty sure such a work would have the capacity to rival the hilarious Bashment Granny as play of the year.

First, I cannot understand what the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) expected to achieve, possibly except embarrassment, when the decision was taken to have our national senior team undertake the current tour of Asia, where we have so far lost to Indonesia and Vietnam.

If we are really serious about qualifying a team for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, instead of wasting time playing teams that are so far south on the FIFA rankings that they are virtually non-entities, we should be seeking to play teams that are potential World Cup contenders.

The fact that we have been beaten by both Indonesia and Vietnam on this tour must be the clearest indication that the current JFF leadership and coach Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic are not up to the qualification task. In fact, on the current path, disaster must be lurking.

I have heard some people saying that back in 1994 when we started our Road to France campaign under René Simoes, we were as shaky as we are today but I would beg to disagree. Unless my memory has completely deserted me, I remember the 1998 team as capable and a team that got better with time.

Unfortunately, this unit that Bora is preparing cannot be viewed with any degree of seriousness because there is absolutely no question that they lack what it takes to qualify for the Gold Cup, let alone the World Cup. As far as I am concerned, any investment in this crop of players must be a colossal waste of time and money.

On the matter of West Indies cricket, it would appear that the circus on the field is now seeping into the boardroom.

After making a mockery of the appointment of Chris Gayle as one-day captain and following up with the scandalous situation with the travel plans for the players who joined the squad in England, I am amazed that the board has the nerve to be asking Gayle to apologise for criticising its incompetence.

While I would have no difficulty supporting the board if it had read the riot act to Gayle about his inconsistent batting form, I believe its threat of "drastic and immediate action" against Gayle is utter nonsense. I think someone needs to remind them that Mr. Gayle is a grown man and not a child.

Having been shown up so often by the West Indies Play-ers Association (WIPA) and the former cricketers who have been asked to serve on various committees, I believe the current team of administrators should seriously consider parting company with our cricket because they are clearly not doing a good job.
    As one who dearly loves Jamaica's football and West Indies cricket, I must admit that I am extremely disheartened by the high level of incompetence that has invaded both sports. Personally, nothing could please me more than to see new faces taking charge of both organisations.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    WI cricket and Ja's football - big joke

FILE - Chris Gayle

Western Bureau

If somebody could create a theatrical production out of what is happening in Jamaica's football and West Indies cricket, I am pretty sure such a work would have the capacity to rival the hilarious Bashment Granny as play of the year.

First, I cannot understand what the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) expected to achieve, possibly except embarrassment, when the decision was taken to have our national senior team undertake the current tour of Asia, where we have so far lost to Indonesia and Vietnam.

If we are really serious about qualifying a team for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, instead of wasting time playing teams that are so far south on the FIFA rankings that they are virtually non-entities, we should be seeking to play teams that are potential World Cup contenders.

The fact that we have been beaten by both Indonesia and Vietnam on this tour must be the clearest indication that the current JFF leadership and coach Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic are not up to the qualification task. In fact, on the current path, disaster must be lurking.

I have heard some people saying that back in 1994 when we started our Road to France campaign under René Simoes, we were as shaky as we are today but I would beg to disagree. Unless my memory has completely deserted me, I remember the 1998 team as capable and a team that got better with time.

Unfortunately, this unit that Bora is preparing cannot be viewed with any degree of seriousness because there is absolutely no question that they lack what it takes to qualify for the Gold Cup, let alone the World Cup. As far as I am concerned, any investment in this crop of players must be a colossal waste of time and money.

On the matter of West Indies cricket, it would appear that the circus on the field is now seeping into the boardroom.

After making a mockery of the appointment of Chris Gayle as one-day captain and following up with the scandalous situation with the travel plans for the players who joined the squad in England, I am amazed that the board has the nerve to be asking Gayle to apologise for criticising its incompetence.

While I would have no difficulty supporting the board if it had read the riot act to Gayle about his inconsistent batting form, I believe its threat of "drastic and immediate action" against Gayle is utter nonsense. I think someone needs to remind them that Mr. Gayle is a grown man and not a child.

Having been shown up so often by the West Indies Play-ers Association (WIPA) and the former cricketers who have been asked to serve on various committees, I believe the current team of administrators should seriously consider parting company with our cricket because they are clearly not doing a good job.
    As one who dearly loves Jamaica's football and West Indies cricket, I must admit that I am extremely disheartened by the high level of incompetence that has invaded both sports. Personally, nothing could please me more than to see new faces taking charge of both organisations.
    There is a conspiracy afoot and it smelling more and more stink.. how is Bora method of testing who is fit and proper and who can learn to include in his final squad causing such a panic 1.5 years before qualifying start ?

Very strange.. very strange indeed.. must be part of the 'remove boxhill' strategy.. but damn.. don't throw out the baby with the bath water...

Comment

Bwoy everything yu say is true, a waste of money. We may be lucky if 2-3 from this crop of players make it, it looks like we will have to be looking to the UK again.
      Wadadah (peace & love)

Comment

Working...
      X