Real Madrid-styled academy expected by next January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Madrid-styled academy expected by next January

I wonder if this academy will be ready before the JFF 'academy'. We still don't know the structure of the JFF 'academy' after more than 3 years. Plus look that the Real Madrid academy is targetting $100,000 US to operate the first year. Will the JFF have this kind of money?

Taken from www.jamaicaobserver.com

Real Madrid-styled academy expected by next January
    KAYON RAYNOR, Observer Senior staff reporter
    Thursday, June 28, 2007

Spanish Ambassador Jesús Silva (right) speaks while former national player Aaron Lawrence (left) and Carlos Abella of the Real Madrid Foundation look on in New Kingston on Tuesday. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    A football academy to benefit underprivileged children on the north coast should become operational by January 2008, following Tuesday's signing of a declaration of intent between the Spanish-Jamaica Foundation and representatives of Spanish champions Real Madrid at the Rose Hall Complex.
    According to Jesus Silva, Spain's Ambassador to Jamaica who is also president of the Spanish-Jamaica Foundation - formed by the Spanish groups currently investing in Jamaica - the first phase of the proposed academy, which is being modelled on the Real Madrid Foundation's Schools for Social Integration, is estimated to cost US$500,000.
    "There is no problem of financial support for this project. I mean, the Spanish companies represented on the board have expressed a commitment to do it and they are willing and ready to finance it," Silva said at a press conference at the Spanish Embassy offices at the Courtleigh Corporate Centre in New Kingston yesterday.
    He said that figure for the first phase of the project, which includes two pitches, classrooms, changing rooms, offices and parking facilities, could be increased if needed.
    "It could be less, could be more and of course, if we have other partners that want to join it... the figure might be even higher, because the more partners we have the bigger we can go and the better we can do the installations," Silva said, adding that his organisation has tentatively budgeted US$100,000 to run the project for the first year.
    The academy, which is being erected on land donated by Michelle Rollins and is to be managed by former national goalkeeper Aaron Lawrence, will cater to youngsters between the ages of 7 and 20.
    Lawrence said youngsters wishing to join the academy must be averaging at least 50 per cent in their schoolwork.
    "So it (the academy) will always be something for them (youngsters) to look at and to do well in school," the former Reggae Boy explained.
    Between 100-150 youngsters from St James, Trelawny, Westmoreland and Hanover are expected to enrol in the programme in the initial phase, with plans for an increase to approximately 350 in the medium to long term.
    Lawrence is scheduled to travel to Spain in September to get first-hand knowledge of how Real Madrid operates their football academies.
    According to Carlos Aballa, director general of the Real Madrid Foundation who arrived in the island on Sunday, along with former Madrid midfielder Manuel Velazquez, "The academy will transcend purely sports education, extending to social integration, training the youngsters through solidarity, community and social service to ensure they will be able to cope in different aspect of their daily lives and improve short-term job prospects."
    Arbella also said Jamaica is the first non-Spanish speaking country to benefit from the Real Madrid Foundation, which has established Social Integration Schools in Chile, Bolivia, El Salvador, Panama, Argentina, Mexico and Uruguay.

ah bwoy. As I asked before where is the JFF going bet the funds from. As some who went to a HEART Academy I know this is a costly venture. It is easier to run an all island academy working with clubs than to run a building as in our case.

Where is the income going to come in from? We better think of hosting tournaments and getting colleges etc. and A league teams to come and hopefully we can get some support from the communities close by to make some money to help offset some of the cost.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I guess the Spaniards are quietly reclaiming what the English took from them
      in 1655 (capitulation by G. Venables & W. Penn) and what they finally ceded to England in 1670 (Treaty of Madrid). In between those years, the Spaniards were forced to flee the island and in 1660 they were finally expelled from from Jamaica, with the last few heading to Cuba.

Now, the Spaniards have found an innovative way of regaining a foothold
      on Jamaica. I say welcome Spain!! The English have done nothing to help revive and resuscitate its former colony. Heck! the average English person has no knowledge that Jamaica once part of the British empire.

Let's hope the association with the Spaniards (Spanish-Jamaica Foundation) will reap plenty benefits for both sides.
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

lets hope them nah come conquer again.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Not possible with the Yardman mentality and his propensity for meeting force with unbridled force. But a corporate conquest is not a remote possibility.
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Working...
          X