• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyz notch first win

Taken from www.jamaicaobserver.com

Boyz notch first win
    Harvey, Wolfe score in 2-0 triumph over MalaysiaIan Burnett
    Friday, June 29, 2007

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Demar Phillips of Jamaica (foreground) and Eddy Helmi Abd Manan of Malaysia in a keen tussle for the ball during their friendly football match yesterday. Jamaica won 2-0. (Photo: AP)
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Christopher Harvey and Wolry Wolfe scored from set pieces to propel the Reggae Boyz to a 2-0 victory over Malaysia here at the National Stadium yesterday.
    It was the first victory for the Jamaicans, who have now completed three quarters of their four-nation Asian tour which got under way with a 1-2 loss to Indonesia last week Thursday, followed by a 0-3 shutout to Vietnam three days later.
    The victory also marked the first outright win for new technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, who was appointed to guide the senior team on the "Back to Africa, 2010" campaign last November.
    The tour was designed to develop and expose the local-based players and yesterday Bora might have just unearthed a "diamond in the rough" in the 6'3" frame of 19-year-old Harbour View goalkeeper Dwayne Miller, who capped a fine man-of-the-match performance on debut.
    It would not surprise if he retains the No 1 shirt for the next assignment against 47th FIFA-ranked Iran.
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Jamaica's Richard Edwards (foreground) fights for the ball with Hairuddin Omar of Malaysia during their friendly football match in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, yesterday. Jamaica won 20. (Photo: AP)
    Kick-off was brought forward by 15 minutes, to 8:30 pm, before a handful of spectators in the massive National Stadium, which is said to accommodate a crowd in excess of 100,000.
    However, as soon as the majority Muslim population ended their Isyak, the fifth and final prayer period of the day at approximately 8:43 pm, spectators started streaming in to cheer on their team, which was in its final prep match ahead of the Group C opener against China in the AFC Asian Cup on July 10.
    The Boyz signalled their intention within the first 10 minutes when a good, patient build-up from the back resulted in Mario Harrison booting narrowly across the face of goal and just beyond the far post.
    The pressure continued moments later when Harvey headed over the top from a Nicholy Finlayson's right-sided cross, as the visitors took charge from early.
    On the half-hour mark Fabian Taylor - who missed the first two games because of issues with his passport which prevented his entry to Malaysia - got behind the home team's defence, but spurned the chance from a tight angle.
    On the stroke of half-time Wolfe was ploughed into violently from behind at the centre circle and had to be stretchered off for treatment. During his absence, Finlayson floated in a deep kick and Harvey soared highest to head powerfully into the far corner of the goal.
    It was the Harbour View defender's first international goal.
    Like a wounded animal, the Boyz launched another attack which was forced behind for a corner. Demar Phillips' right-sided corner was slid home by Wolfe, much to the derision of the spectators.
    It was Wolfe's second goal on tour, having first accounted for his team's only goal against Indonesia.
    Miller had nothing seriously to do in the first half, but in the second stanza, he displayed good agility and quality to keep his team in the game on a few occasions.
    But the Jamaicans were losing their structure and shape and substitute Mohd Aidil Zafaun threatened with a run straight down the middle of the Jamaican team before skying the ball.
    It was a warning sign for the Boyz as the home team appeared more committed, pushing players
    into attack.
    But Taylor almost increased the lead when his calm and calculated lob from outside the penalty area skimmed the crossbar, with Azizon Kadir backpedaling.
    That was Taylor's last major contribution as he was soon forced off the field with cramps, which is secondary to the long flight to Asia.
    As the home side pushed in attack, the Boyz struggled to keep pace and with 13 minutes left, Miller was called on to palm Shahrunizam Mustaffa's rasping shot around the post for a corner.
    And from the resulting corner, Miller was again called on to make double reflex saves, showing no signs of a young goalkeeper in his first international game.
    "I am happy for the win for the goalkeeper, I think he has a good future to perform like that in his first game," Bora told the Observer at game's end.
    Bora also played down the fact that he was winning his first game since assuming responsibility of the teams last week.
    "More important than getting my first outright win is that the players tried to achieve what I asked them to do. It was not easy, but they tried.
    "What is important is to see how they used their heads, what we they good and what we did badly. To win the game was good for them,"
    Bora reiterated.
    Meanwhile, Miller revealed that he was a bundle of nerves during
    warm-ups.
    "I was nervous when the team was warming up, but as soon as I got my first touch in the game, I was okay," he said.
    Miller added: "The coach told me that I could have been more settled and keep the ball a bit longer. He also said I could have been more decisive, and that I did well."
    The Boyz are slated to depart Malaysia tonight for Iran.
    Teams:
    Jamaica - Dwayne Miller, Christopher Harvey, Adrian Reid, Mario Swaby, Lovel Palmer, Richard Edwards (Keneil Moodie 46th), Nicholy Finlayson (Fabian Davis 61st), Demar Phillips (Rudolph Austin 82nd), Mario Harrison, Wolry Wolfe, Fabian Taylor (Donovan Davis 74th).
    Booked: Palmer (34th),Austin (87th), Swaby ((92nd)
    Subs not used: R McCallum, A Whittaker, J Taylor, X Virgo, D Stewart
    Malaysia - Azizon Kadir, Mohd Fauzie Nan, Mohd Kaironnisam, Nanthakumar Kallippa (Mohd Aidil Zafaun 63rd), Mohd Hamzani Omar, Norhafiz Zamani Misbah (Mohd Fadzli Saari 43rd), Mohd Shukor Adan, Eddy Helmi Abd Manan (Shahrunizam Mustaffa 56th), Mohamad Hardi Jaafar (Mohd Safee Mohd 36th), Mohd Norharham Mohamad (Mohd Ivan Yusoff 56th), Hairuddin Omar (Indra Putra Mahayuddin 79th).
    Booked: None
    Subs not used: Mohd Suffian, Ahmad Fauzi Shaari, Nazrul
    Erwan Makmur, Thirumurrugan Veeran
    Referee: R Krishnan (Malaysia)
    Assistants: Idzhha Salin, Mohd Kamil (Malaysia)
    Fourth Official: Ravichandran (Malaysia)
    Match Commissary: Haji Ahmad Fuad Daud (Malaysia)

Good going Reggae Boyz!

Hope you can hold Iran as they are a good side.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

For the Boyz to consistently win without the UB40 players, they will have to strictly respect the fundamentals of the game. That is the long awaited renaissance.
      Time remains my concern, and thought the article written by Karl was astute.
      I am now absolutely intrigued with what I think Bora is going to do.

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        I am now absolutely intrigued with what I think Bora is going to do.

Blessed
        Let us in on your thinking, nuh?

Is it next match, but one, FULL 'real' TEAM? ...and, 'real TEAM' from now on out? Better late, than Never?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Let us in on your thinking, nuh?

Is it next match, but one, FULL 'real' TEAM? ...and, 'real TEAM' from now on out? Better late, than Never?
          When Bora is finished with this phase of his program him will let you know.

Sit back, watch and learn and stop figetting in class.

Comment

I recall you said the same thing about Laza(RUS).

Maudib, you need to start making some correct predictions on this site. You have maybe a 30% accuracy rate. You need to improve.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

And wi marking easy.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                I recall you said the same thing about Laza(RUS).

Maudib, you need to start making some correct predictions on this site. You have maybe a 30% accuracy rate. You need to improve.
                What prediction did I make that was incorrect ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  And wi marking easy.
                  There you go again trying to grade the Teacher..

Comment

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                    X