• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think Bora under pressure?

Mexico a team in turmoil after Cup flop
    published: Wednesday | June 27, 2007

PUERTO LA CRUZ, Venezuela (Reuters):
    MEXICO HAVE arrived at the Copa America in crisis following yet another defeat to the United States and amid reports of splits in the dressing room.
    Mexico kick off their Copa America campaign against in Puerto Ordaz today and the clash with the defending champions could not come at a worse possible moment for coach Hugo Sanchez.
    The former Real Madrid striker spent the previous three years sniping at his predecessor Ricardo La Volpe and promising to turn into world beaters.
    But those claims sounded very hollow in this month's Gold Cup as Mexico needed extra time to beat eight-man in the quarter-finals, then struggled to a 1-0 win over Caribbean islanders in the semis.
    To cap it all, they then lost yet again to the United States in Sunday's final in Chicago, leaving the U.S. unbeaten in their last nine home games against the Mexicans.
    Two Mexican newspapers took it as a personal failure for Sanchez, who repeatedly promised before hand that Mexico's team would reflect his own winning personality.
    'Hugo fails at the Gold Cup' and "Hugo, you're not approved", said La Jornada and Record, respectively.
    Torrential downpour
    Mexico were greeted by a torrential downpour as they arrived in Venezuela yesterday, missing European-based Carlos Salcido, Ricardo Osorio and Pavel Pardo.
    The trio all pulled out of the competition last week, claiming they were tired after a long season.
    But the Mexican media interpreted their withdrawal as a sign that the camp was split into 'La Volpists' - admirers of the former coach - and 'Hugoists'.
    Salcido, Osorio and Pardo were all key players under La Volpe and are all widely regarded as being admirers of the Argentine, who is now coaching Velez Sarsfield in his homeland.
    In fact, the shadow of La Volpe is looming ever larger over Sanchez.
    La Volpe has tended to keep a low profile in the past few months, avoiding the temptation to renew hostilities with his personal rival, but on Sunday was busy giving radio and television interviews.
    "He always said he understood the Mexican football environment," La Volpe said. "Now he has to turn a blind eye, to be intelligent and work positively with his team."
    La Volpe is also reported to have phoned some of his former disciples last week to give them advice.
    Earlier this year, Sanchez set his team two objectives: to win the Gold Cup and reach the semi-finals of the Copa America. A second failure could mean that this dream of coaching his country ends up being a very short one.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

And the moral of the story izz:

Some folks set higher standards than others.

Six (6) losses and all's well. QUOTE: "Bora happy with progress of BoyZ".
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post

HL, 'ow yuh deh gi summuch chubble allofa sudden?
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

both teams in differet places. Hugo sat at pumas and chat off his mouth how he could do this and the other coach is no good and re re. Now he is got the job and he should deliver.

Comment

Could you refresh my memory regarding the 6 losses ?

Comment

It's more like Boxhill in trouble since it is Corporate Jamaica and the Jamaican government that is paying Bora's salary. And Boxhill, knowing his time is up in less than 4 months has no choice, but to continue with Bora.

Comment

Tilla:

Deep down I still maintain an bond to Jamaican football. I, like you tilla would love to see them get back to being competitive. But when I see the overall inaptitude...it rubs me the wrong way.

So maybe me recent 'uncharacteristic chubble makin' is a way of venting my feelings.

You and I get along very well Missa T. I do like the fact that we differ on the Bora/Barnes coaching issue. It is not good when we all think alike.

HL

Comment

Wooops. 7 losses!!
                Last edited by HL; June 27, 2007, 04:19 PM.

HL

Comment

Wooops. 7 loses!!
                  Still a little confused.

Can you name the 7 Teams we have lost to under Bora ?

Comment

Working...
                  X