Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIFA reverses stance on altitude ban

FIFA partly reduces high-altitude match ban

World football's governing body FIFA on Wednesday partly relaxed its ban on international matches at high altitude, following an uproar among Latin American countries in recent weeks.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter said that World Cup qualifying matches would be tolerated at altitudes up to 3,000 metres, instead of the 2,500 metres announced in May.
    The ban will also only apply to World Cup qualifiers, but not other international matches such as regional tournaments in Latin America or domestic matches, Blatter told journalists.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

They had to! As I have been saying from I heard the crap, it was nonsense! Probably was pushed by some USA rep. The fact is, how do you ban a country from playing in its capital city? Is not like Bolivia moved games up to these mountains for an unfair advantage.

FIFA have strength fi di countries involved. If Geneva was up in Matterhorn, the stupid idea would not have crossed their minds.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Agreed. Why not ban matches in below freezing temperatures? Or midday tropical sun? Or on hard surfaces? Or in earthquake zones? Why not play ALL matches at sea-level?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
        Agreed. Why not ban matches in below freezing temperatures? Or midday tropical sun? Or on hard surfaces? Or in earthquake zones? Why not play ALL matches at sea-level?
        Very good points Mr. Exile. Each country uses their physical layout to their advantage. When a warm country like Jamaica plays USA during the cold months, USA play the match in places like Boston and Chicago. Our boyz have to be playing in gloves and long-johns. Not to mention when we play Canada whose winter starts from August. Is FIFA concerned about our boyz health? The sudden drastic change in temporature can be detrimental to our players' health. I remember us playing the USA in a qualifier at 1:00 pm when the sun is at its ripest in Jamaica. I had to be at the stadium (Bleachers) from 11 am. I nearly dead from heat stroke. Can you imagine the players. Our players actually looked worse than the US players. The team was made up of mainly UB40's. I think the Bomber scored in that match.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          They had to! As I have been saying from I heard the crap, it was nonsense! Probably was pushed by some USA rep.
          Uh, sure.

Why would we care? The ban didn't benefit us in the least because Mexico City wasn't affected by it. You guys would have benefitted more than us since you are the ones who regularly take the 6-0 beatings at the Azteca.

Do a bit of reasearch and you'll see that it was Brazil who was pushing for the ban. But you never bother with facts and simply prefer to get in a dig at the USA, no matter how uniformed or ingnorant it may be.
          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
          - Xavi

Comment

You tried to get Mexico City included and failed!

Lighten up, Zeppo!

And I do bother with facts! Most of the time!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              You tried to get Mexico City included and failed!
              Interesting claim. Got a link to back it up?

But the fact is that the nations complaining most about high-altitude venues were South American nations:

"Soccer powerhouses Argentina and Brazil have complained previously about the disadvantages of having to play at altitude, including not getting players released from European clubs early enough to acclimate."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...titude-Ban.php

Ah, facts! They're a real b!tch sometimes, aren't they, Mosiah?
              - Xavi

Comment

I said lighten up, didn't I? Geez! Someone is a little nervous about his opening Copa America match!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X