• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J'ca's Goal Project moving 'a little slowly', says Taylor

Taken from www.jamaicaobserver.com

J'ca's Goal Project moving 'a little slowly', says Taylor
    Andrew Hancel
    Monday, June 25, 2007

Despite failing to meet the original deadline, FIFA Development Officer for the region, Harold Taylor, said he is satisfied with the state of work on the National Football Academy under construction in St Elizabeth.
    "As far as I'm concerned work is in progress," Taylor said. "It is a very good project."
    Taylor, who was on a four-day visit to Jamaica where he toured the FIFA Goal Project site at Munro College in the quiet rural district of Malvern, further noted that the important thing was meeting the new deadline.
    Harold Taylor, FIFA's Development Officer for the Caribbean region, addresses graduates of the FIFA Olympic Solidarity Coaching Course at the Jamaica Football Federation offices on Friday. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    "My only problem is that I think it's moving a little slowly and I hope they will work towards getting it finished by the end of August," Taylor told journalists on Friday when he delivered the keynote address at the FIFA Olympic Solidarity Coaching Course closing ceremony at the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) headquarters.
    Phase One of the J$25 million FIFA-financed project was halted in December of last year after Taylor, after perusing the signed documents between Lovel Smith Construction Ltd and the JFF, sought to correct some specifics.
    March 2007 was the original target date for completion, but this had to be pushed back to August to ensure a smoothing over of some rough areas.
    And after Thursday's visit, the JFF were given the thumbs-up, as construction of the first phase includes the building of an administrative suite, residential blocks, instructional/lecture areas as well as welfare facilities.
    Asked whether the project was within the budget, Taylor, a native of Trinidad, was clear in stating the stand of the global governing body.
    "FIFA puts US$400,000 towards this project. Whatever is over that, that came in before, so all we're using now is the FIFA US$400,000. That money goes directly to the contractor... and as he does work we will put in the funds. But it will never go over the US$400,000," he explained.
    Taylor left the island yesterday.
    Once Phase One is completed, the JFF will turn its attention to Phase Two of the project, which involves the establishment of at least four football fields and changing facilities.
Working...
X