Rumour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumour

Derby boss Billy Davis is chasing Sheffield United defender Claude Davis and is ready to pay £3.5m. (The People)
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Davies won't rush player quest

Billy Davies will not rush into signing players as Derby County prepare for life in the Premiership.

Promotion was secured with victory over West Bromwich Albion in the play-off final on May 28 - two weeks after the majority of Premier League teams finished their season.

Davies says Derby are two or three weeks behind the other clubs when it comes to planning for the 2007-08 campaign because of their involvement in the play-offs but says there is no panic.

He aims to strengthen the squad and the number of players being linked with a move to Pride Park has already reached double figures.
    Speculation has thrown up the names of strikers David Nugent, James McFadden, Robert Earnshaw and Francis Jeffers along with midfielders Michael Tonge, Jobi McAnuff, Matthew Etherington and Lee Hendrie. Defenders who have been mentioned in reports include Liam Ridgewell, Claude Davis, Chris Riggott and Sami Hyypia, as well as Hearts' goalkeeper Craig Gordon.

Davies has targets in mind but says nothing can happen until he has sat down with the board and discussed how much he will have to spend.
    "The great thing about the play-offs is getting there and playing in the semi-finals and the final," said the manager.

"They are fantastic memories and it is a great way to win promotion but the downside is that your season ends on May 28.

"The play-offs add three weeks on to your season and it means we are behind other clubs with regards to building for the new campaign.

"I felt at the start of last season we started chasing new signings a little bit early but we had to because of the size of the squad. We had to get players in.

"This time, no matter the timescale, we have to take it slow.
    "We have to be methodical and precise when picking players.

"We have to be spot-on with our investments to make sure we build this club up for the Premier League in the right manner.

"There will be no rush signings, we cannot afford rush signings.
    "We cannot afford to panic because the clock is ticking towards the start of the season.

"We have to be so clever, so sure on who we are bringing to the club to play at this level.

"That is very, very important."
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Unuh realize that Big Claude played for Davies when he was head coach at Preston? I am sure if he has any respect for Claude's game, he may take him at Derby. I would love to see Big Claude at Derby so I can follow him in the EPL next season.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
      X