• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milutinovic moving in the right direction

Milutinovic moving in the right direction
    published: Saturday | June 23, 2007

Milutinovic

I'm not quite sure which occupations make the list for being the most hazardous in the world, but based on the impatience already being displayed by some with Serbian coach Velibor Milutinovic, the post of Reggae Boyz technical director must steadily be progressing up the charts.

Brazilian guru Renee Simoes certainly left huge, colossal shoes to fill, after the historic achievement of carrying our tiny nation to 1998 World Cup. No one else has been able to measure up since, but just eight months into a four-year contract, we can't be giving new man Milutinovic a failing grade already.

Then again, I suppose after nine years of failure through some four technical directors, some of which have had more than one stint, most are yearning for a second bite of the cherry at the highest level.

However, not even a full year into the job and criticism for the new man in the hot seat has come flying in, some going to ridiculous extremes suggesting the new TD should be sacked.

These issues range from very average results, a lack of involvement with the youth teams, an issue I have already spoken about, and the latest what some deem to be poor national team selection.

There is no doubt that the Reggae Boyz' recent results have been less than flattering, but with the majority of the squad being inexperienced local players, they may not be that bad all things considered.

If we expect a solid team to be built, one that can really compete in the next World Cup qualifiers - hopefully catch the boat back to Africa - it will take some time.

Sure the TD knows that he has a host of quality players who ply their trade abroad to call on, the most we have had in a while, but should we examine it his explanation about creating a solid local-based squad is quite a sensible one.

In fact, a well prepared local squad could certainly have spared us the embarrassment of having to watch the Gold Cup from home, which in my estimation is a big step missed for the qualifiers as it pits the region's top teams against each other.

However, that being said, let us look at the other side of the coin, should Milutinovic have gone abroad to select players for some of these games, the arguments would certainly have surfaced about giving the local players a chance to shine.

Now they have it and even though the results have not been immediately positive it goes a long way in the long run in terms of the putting together of a solid team, a team which will not only have the international experience, but is capable of filling in when key players are available. This is a very likely scenario with the trend of international clubs not releasing players for various fixtures.
    It would be fantastic to thrash everyone left, right and centre right now, but I am sure none of us would trade that for a fully prepared team come the qualifiers next year.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

If Bora and the writer wants the current exercise to continue...and, I do nto see why it could nto in some form...why not at the same time have best squad playing a steady diet of international matches against quality opposition?

The locals are always available...and, matches against their peers...and or moving them 'all over the place' - inside and outside of the island should not be a problem...and, whenever the best players are available, example on FIFA mandated/scheduled international match days....use that period wisely on creation of BEST TEAM?

Our best team should be playing the Switzerlands, Chiles...and, TOP QUALITY OPPOSITION on FIFA mandated/scheduled international match days as preparation for the World Cup!

...our up and coming youngsters should fit in at other times...excepting if and when their performances DEMAND inclusion in the WORLD CUP aggregation. There should not, after the barren years - 1998 - present, be even a hint of a suggestion that the squad for the upcoming fight for a place at World Cup 2010 Finals was not adequately prepared!

Questions:

1. Can you prepare a squad without having the players playing games together on the same TEAM?

2. How many matches will the real squad play before our qualifiers commence?

One?! Two?! ...NONE?!
    Last edited by Karl; June 24, 2007, 12:13 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

1. Can you prepare a squad without having the players playing games together on the same TEAM?
      I thought the players were playing together. Did they play Malaysia one at a time?

What do you mean the real squad?
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        If Bora and the writer wants the current exercise to continue...and, I do nto see why it could nto in some form...why not at the same time have best squad playing a steady diet of international matches against quality opposition?

The locals are always available...and, matches against their peers...and or moving them 'all over the place' - inside and outside of the island should not be a problem...and, whenever the best players are available, example on FIFA mandated/scheduled international match days....use that period wisely on creation of BEST TEAM?

Our best team should be playing the Switzerlands, Chiles...and, TOP QUALITY OPPOSITION on FIFA mandated/scheduled international match days as preparation for the World Cup!

...our up and coming youngsters should fit in at other times...excepting if and when their performances DEMAND inclusion in the WORLD CUP aggregation. There should not, after the barren years - 1998 - present, be even a hint of a suggestion that the squad for the upcoming fight for a place at World Cup 2010 Finals was not adequately prepared!

Questions:

One?! Two?! ...NONE?!
        Maybe I am confused.. does someone have the schedule for qualifying... I thought we historically used a largely local contingent in early qualifying ?

Some of the experts should fax Bora a match selection and match arrangement strategy since he clearly has no experience in such matters and he obviously is not aware of the qualification schedule.

Comment

summah you folks will go to any lengths to make excuse for failure.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
            Maybe I am confused.. does someone have the schedule for qualifying... I thought we historically used a largely local contingent in early qualifying ?
            Some of the experts should fax Bora a match selection and match arrangement strategy since he clearly has no experience in such matters and he obviously is not aware of the qualification schedule.
            Historically?

What history are you talking about?

Previous to Simoes we always lost - EARLY! ...i.e. 1st round or perhaps, immediately following defeating a terrible minnow.

On Simoes' arrival we qualified with locals as we had not yet thought of inviting our foreign based brothers. After 1998 - sans Simoes, if you will - we have never progressed using only local based players.

...so, I am asking you again - What "historically" are you talking about?
            There is no track record of local players taking us anywhere excepting under a vastly superior...longer preparatory period... greater number of matches played with core group...under Simoes. That was a "one-off" instance.

...and, if we are to use Simoes' prolonged preparations as guide, it tells us, among other things, that it must be prolonged with frequent playing of matches with BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS! Currently we are going against everything Simoes' taught us about 'keeping of BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS together and giving those BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS steady diet of international matches.

If I am not mistaken - Simoes had his BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS preparing CONSTANTLY for 2 years before we kicked a ball in anger i.e. in World Cup Qualifying.

Where is the 'following of what worked'?- ...(only so far as having us qualify - not getting us up to TOP QUALITY speed. That standard was therefore not where we are aiming to be! Thus that method cannot of its limited self be the alpha and the omega of...on how we should prepare our future World Cup TEAMs!)

Let me ask the question another way - Why are we putting less time and effort into making BEST TEAM, when under our most successful coach that limited preparation did not get us to the heights to which we are aspiring? Should we not, at the very least, be putting in MORE TIME and EFFORT in our preparations?

Why are we starting with less than BEST AVAILABLE TEAM?
            Simoes started with what was BEST AVAILABLE TEAM and drafted in a few players at a time to make that which he started with become its strongest after 4 years work.

I suppose Bora will look like a genius when the 2nd form squad (this squad) is compared to the Manning/DaCosta Cup squad (the working towards not making the World Cup Squad i.e. our BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS
            - as even with no preparation the BEST AVAILABLE must perform better than the miserable performances we have thus far seen from the current 2nd tier group)...

...but, what if he had started with the Manning/DaCosta Cup squad i.e. our BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS and created National TEAM out of that group? What about starting with our BEST AVAILABLE SQUAD and creating WORLD, say TOP 30, or TOP 20 or TOP 10 squad?

Maudib: You are not really suggesting that the shorter you work at diligently preparing the better shall be your TEAM? Stop it!
            Last edited by Karl; June 24, 2007, 11:52 PM.

Comment

This coach is the best coach Jamaica has ever had & he will do allot of good for the countries football.
              Racist Zeppo Said "Against Italy? Sure. But keep in mind that's the reigning World Champion and not some chump Caribbean team we're used to slapping around in CONCACAF" Zeppo

Comment

Originally posted by Redz View Post
                This coach is the best coach Jamaica has ever had & he will do allot of good for the countries football.
                I would not doubt that for a moment..but, I want to see us in the 2010 World Cup performing like Ghana did in the last World Cup.

...going back to the World Cup and performing in the same manner or worse than the '98 Simoes team did does not satisfy my expected 'rate of progress'...that would lead to extreme fustration. Can you then imagine what not attending at the 2010 World Cup would do to me?

It would be pain and suffering for years! It would be & ...and, probable cost 40 youngsters no good professional contracts...and, their families and the country years of sharing in their good fortunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                  I thought the players were playing together. Did they play Malaysia one at a time?

What do you mean the real squad?

Well after seeing your 2nd answer I can understand your puzzling reply in your first sentence.

The TEAM in Asia is what Bora and the JFF refers to as pre-preparations players. It is stated that, Bora is taking a look at those players.

On finishing his 'look'...only Bora, and presumable the JFF, knows when this 'looking' will cease...he will assemble the real squad and commence having those players prepare as a group. I am assuming that once that preparation of the real squad commences those squad members will play a series of practise matches/preparatory matches together.

----

Aside: ...or, maybe I missed what you are hinting at...perhaps you are suggesting that based on this 'fooling around' and wasting of precious time - Time which incidentally we do not have. Qualifiers could possible be less than a year away! - making the assumption that there will be adequate number of practise matches...quality practise matches for our frontline players i.e. matches with our real TEAM, before the start of World Cup qualifiers is a stretch? ...along the line of, 'who the hell would be bold enough to take a guess at what these JFF guys will do'?

I can only say, I hear the word coming out of the JFF and Bora as reported in our newspapers ...and, see with my own eyes the players being toyed with , their quality of play and their not surprising results against bottom of the barrel teams.

btw - Knowing as you do how one or two players can change a TEAM... what do you think will happen when X1 frontline players are taken from various far-flung environs and hastily thrown together for 6 or 7 or less training sessions and then flung into matches? Cohesive, smooth, efficient, superb, TOP OF THE WORLD aggregation from the get-go?

Comment

What you mean "If I am not mistaken - Simoes had his BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS preparing CONSTANTLY for 2 years before we kicked a ball in anger i.e. in World Cup Qualifying. "

Not true. What Rene did was at best complex, a mix of best available, developing talent, scouting and a lot of planning.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I would not doubt that for a moment..but, I want to see us in the 2010 World Cup performing like Ghana did in the last World Cup.
                      Except that Jamaica has nothing even close to Ghana's population, nor their talent pool.

Bora's a good coach but you can't expect him to perform miracles.
                      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                      - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                        Except that Jamaica has nothing even close to Ghana's population, nor their talent pool.

Been saying that all along and I'm seen as a madman, hopefully, you'll get through to them.
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          What you mean "If I am not mistaken - Simoes had his BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS preparing CONSTANTLY for 2 years before we kicked a ball in anger i.e. in World Cup Qualifying. "

Not true. What Rene did was at best complex, a mix of best available, developing talent, scouting and a lot of planning.
                          I would like you to present the facts!
                          List Simoes' first team and point out who among that group was not among our BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS?

...then, kindly point out when he made his first set of changes?

I stand 100% by my post being the TRUTH...THE WHOLE TRUTH and NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH!

Comment

Historically?

What history are you talking about?

Previous to Simoes we always lost - EARLY! ...i.e. 1st round or perhaps, immediately following defeating a terrible minnow.

On Simoes' arrival we qualified with locals as we had not yet thought of inviting our foreign based brothers. After 1998 - sans Simoes, if you will - we have never progressed using only local based players.

...so, I am asking you again - What "historically" are you talking about?
                            There is no track record of local players taking us anywhere excepting under a vastly superior...longer preparatory period... greater number of matches played with core group...under Simoes. That was a "one-off" instance.

...and, if we are to use Simoes' prolonged preparations as guide, it tells us, among other things, that it must be prolonged with frequent playing of matches with BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS! Currently we are going against everything Simoes' taught us about 'keeping of BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS together and giving those BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS steady diet of international matches.

If I am not mistaken - Simoes had his BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS preparing CONSTANTLY for 2 years before we kicked a ball in anger i.e. in World Cup Qualifying.

Where is the 'following of what worked'?- ...(only so far as having us qualify - not getting us up to TOP QUALITY speed. That standard was therefore not where we are aiming to be! Thus that method cannot of its limited self be the alpha and the omega of...on how we should prepare our future World Cup TEAMs!)

Let me ask the question another way - Why are we putting less time and effort into making BEST TEAM, when under our most successful coach that limited preparation did not get us to the heights to which we are aspiring? Should we not, at the very least, be putting in MORE TIME and EFFORT in our preparations?

Why are we starting with less than BEST AVAILABLE TEAM?
                            Simoes started with what was BEST AVAILABLE TEAM and drafted in a few players at a time to make that which he started with become its strongest after 4 years work.

I suppose Bora will look like a genius when the 2nd form squad (this squad) is compared to the Manning/DaCosta Cup squad (the working towards not making the World Cup Squad i.e. our BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS
                            - as even with no preparation the BEST AVAILABLE must perform better than the miserable performances we have thus far seen from the current 2nd tier group)...

...but, what if he had started with the Manning/DaCosta Cup squad i.e. our BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS and created National TEAM out of that group? What about starting with our BEST AVAILABLE SQUAD and creating WORLD, say TOP 30, or TOP 20 or TOP 10 squad?

Maudib: You are not really suggesting that the shorter you work at diligently preparing the better shall be your TEAM? Stop it!
                            Kick the Habit please.. it is making you almost incoherent.

Bora is strengthening our historically weakest link.. simple.

Either you comprehend that or you don't. If you don't.. get some help.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post

Hey...in track and field we have not the population as many of the World's nations...but, we outperform many.

...and, as it relates to talent - there is none in the World with greater that we know of. ...and, you can put that later in your pipe and smoke it.

...now, what we do with the talent is another matter?

Comment

Working...
                              X