• Show
Clear All

• Shelton gets World XI pick

Taken from www.jamaica-gleaner.com

Shelton gets World XI pick
    published: Saturday | June 23, 2007

Robert Bailey, Freelance Writer

Reggae Boy Luton Shelton. - File

National striker Luton Shelton has been selected by football's world governing body, FIFA, to play in a World XI All-Star game against China's national team on July 1 at Hong Kong's National Stadium.

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) press officer, Garth Williams, disclosed that technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic was "quite instrumental" in getting Shelton selected to the All-Star team.

When contacted yesterday, Shelton said he was delighted at the opportunity to parade his skills against some of the best players in world.

"I am very delighted because this is a big opportunity for me to be getting to play alongside some of best players in the world, and if I do well in this game it will attract a lot a big teams," said Shelton, a former Harbour View FC player who is now contracted to Sheffield United, which played in the English Premiership last season.

Big honour
    Shelton made a $2 million transfer from Swedish club Helsinborg to Sheffield United in January after a prolific six months in the Scandinavian country, where he played alongside the Swedish legend Henrik Larsson.

"It's a big honour for me to get this opportunity to go out and play for my country, for myself and for my family," added the former Wolmer's Manning Cup star. "I now have to just go out there and enjoy myself and see what happens from there because I can get another opportunity to play for a big team, you never know, so it's really a big honour for me."

Shelton added that his ultimate goal for next season was to help Sheffield win back promotion to the Premiership.

"I am not going to promise anyone anything, but as long as I get playing time, I know I will do well, because I want to help the club to get back to where they were last season," he said.
    Last edited by Karl; June 23, 2007, 09:27 AM.

I doan tink Shelton....
    understands what will likely happen if he plays well in the World XI, it is bye-bye Sheffield!
    Now everyone is going to want to play for Bora.

Blessed

Comment

Tremendous opportunity for Shelton...

...and, not incidentally Jamaica's football.

If Shelton goes out and do two things, i) play TEAM and, ii) score as we know he can both Shelton and Jamaica's football would gain tremendous interest.

I really do hope he plays TEAM as it is not far from the reality that that is "all-important" to those who wield power in the corridors of world club football.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What does this tell you about Bora's thoughts of Shelton Vs Fuller? I am sure Bora recognizes Shelton's potential.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
          What does this tell you about Bora's thoughts of Shelton Vs Fuller? I am sure Bora recognizes Shelton's potential.
          I do not see any difference in terms of 'skill'...but, Fuller has been at (advanced) school longer and Shelton is about on par with him. It would seem that Fuller is a 'slow' pupil????
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Recently, I've begun to appreciate your criticisms of Maestro.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Are yu feeling OK Mosiah? What criteria was used to for Shelton to get selected?

Comment

Karl say Shelton is on par with Fuller. Not to mention how him don't like Thierry Henry. Mi nuh waan Karl like none a fi mi balla dem!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X