Assasin!!! College soccer is inadequate to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assasin!!! College soccer is inadequate to

be an effective part of a young promising soccer player's growth, if he wants to be a professional soccer player at a GOOD level.......

Most of the soccer players going to college enter at 18 & leave at 22, which is a very important stage when most professional players are introduced to pretty much all aspects of TRUE professional soccer.

The NCAA college soccer regular season is from the LAST Friday in August - the 3rd Sunday in November. - That's roughly 3 months......How can this be enough soccer???

College soccer has it's place, BUT it should not be a part of a young promising soccer players growth, if he wants to be a professional soccer player.

Now, take a look at these FACTS -
    1. There are 13 Jamaicans currently in the MLS.
    2. 6 came through the college system.
    3. 7 came through the Manning Cup/DaCosta Cup/Jamaican club system.
    4. Those that came through the Manning Cup/DaCosta Cup/Jamaican club system have played in & started far more games than those who went through the college system.
    5. Half of those that went through the college system (3) have played only 1 game so far this season.
    6. More of the MLS players who came through the Manning Cup/DaCosta Cup/Jamaican club system played for Jamaica, in the just concluded CONCACAF Gold Cup, than those that went through the college system.

Now get this straight, I'm not saying they should abolish college soccer. I'm saying that college soccer is an inadequate path for a young promising soccer player to take, if he wants to play professional soccer at a GOOD level.

So what is the kid who aspires to play at a high level to do? Drop out of college? The Belgians I think have this right, as i understand it, many of the clubs are now set up to practice and play around a player's studies.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

This is not true. First most good college program have a spring schedule. Kids play in the PDL in the summer, including Blake, Lowe, Deshorn Brown.

Many Jamaican footballers can graduate at 17 and head to college. I am not saying College soccer is the ideal process but their is an end game for some players who normally would have a dead end career. Player go in at 17 and is good enough could go pro in 2 years. Mattocks could have gone pro after his first year.

"More of the MLS players who came through the Manning Cup/DaCosta Cup/Jamaican club system played for Jamaica, in the just concluded CONCACAF Gold Cup, than those that went through the college system"

They all come through the DCUP/Manning system but look at other rosters and you will find other college players from other Caribbean/Canadian/Cemtral American teams and you will see they have college players as well on their roster.

At Colleges such as UCONN/ST.Johns and other good program it is more than just playing soccer but preparing and getting players to be professionals.

Most MLS academies are working with colleges to get the best out of some of their players.

If you can get your kid into a pro league fine but if not colleges are not the best but, for most it is the best option available. Simply as that.

Lastly I do not expect our VERY BEST players to go to college unless it is a family choice.
      Last edited by Assasin; August 18, 2015, 10:10 AM.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

"This is not true"??? - So the NCAA is LYING, because that information about the NCAA soccer regular season came from the organization???.........You should contact the NCAA & let them know that their information is incorrect.

College Spring soccer is nothing more than glorified scrimmage to help keep the players in shape....... NPDL, considered the 4th tier of U.S. soccer is one step up from pick- up soccer.......Both are attempts to help supplement an inadequate regular college soccer system, BUT it still falls short for young promising players who want to play at a GOOD professional level.

Isn't it interesting that Jamaican players who have only Manning Cup/DaCosta Cup/Jamaican clubs as their development are outperforming those that played in college???
        Last edited by USAF; August 18, 2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

So, even while playing more football ("Kids play in the PDL in the summer, including Blake, Lowe, Deshorn Brown"); having programs aimed at creating pros ("At Colleges such as UCONN/ST.Johns and other good program it is more than just playing soccer but preparing and getting players to be professionals"); and MLS academies working hard ("Most MLS academies are working with colleges to get the best out of some of their players"), the products are quite ordinary.

You have proven our point! (Even while still missing the point!)

Thank you, and have a great day!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sass will never get the bigger point. But your efforts are noted and appreciated.

Thanks, USAF!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When are they outperforming the college players???

Check the good colleges. What you need to do is speak the thing exactly as it is. There is a reason why PDL is a semi pro so that college kids can be looked at.

You know what? The top DCUP/Manning cup players end it up in Bronx League or give up football by 24. Mi tiad fi see them talking bout their glory days.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass, at the risk of getting drawn into a senseless discussion with you, I leave you with one name - Alvas Powell.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How many Alvas Powells are there. As I said, I do not expect our best players to go to college. Alvas is one in the last generation of players.

Comment

Kemar Lawrence, Jermaine Taylor, Jevaughn Watson, Lovel Palmer.........

The only player who currently plays regularly in MLS, that played college soccer, is Darren Mattocks.

Comment

See original post.

Comment

The record is there and the amount of players on MLS rosters speak for itself.

Comment

I guess there are more Alvas Powells out there!

Thank yuh, USAF!

Mi gone!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Check the last 10 years of college ball. Jermaine Taylor and Watson came to MLS when they were above 25 years old. Maybe 2 years of college and they would be playing MLS a long time ago.

The fact is the record is there, Just go a Bronx league and you will see how much a big fi a scholarship at age 25 when they are lost.

Comment

The best talent in MLS academies are encouraged to go pro instead of playing college soccer........Check the U.S. U20 squad & you'll see that only the 2 backup goalkeepers are college players.

If Sass wants Jamaica's most promising players to play college soccer, he's welcome to to it, BUT he better hope for a steady supply of players from England.

Comment

Working...
                              X