Indonesia beats Jamaica 2-1 in friendly ahead of Asian Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesia beats Jamaica 2-1 in friendly ahead of Asian Cup

Taken from http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/06/21/sports/AS-SPT-SOC-Indonesia-Jamaica.php

Indonesia beats Jamaica 2-1 in friendly ahead of Asian Cup

JAKARTA, Indonesia: Two goals by striker Bambang Pamungkas took Indonesia to a 2-1 victory over Jamaica Thursday in a friendly ahead of next month's Asia Cup.
    Coach Ivan Kolev said he was pleased with the performance of his side against a team more than 50 places ahead of Indonesia in the FIFA rankings.
    "They worked hard, they were united," he said.
    Pamungkas' first goal came in the 58th minute when he latched onto a low cross by Budi Sudarsono. Jamaica's Rory Wolfe scored his first international goal 15 minutes later, firing a left-foot shot in from the edge of the penalty box.
    As the game went into injury time, Pamungkas fired in a winner from long range.

The game was played at the 88,000-capacity Gelora Bung Karno stadium, which will host the final of the Asian Cup.
    Indonesia is in Group D along with South Korea, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

Jamaica ' s Edwards fights for the ball with Indonesia ' s Atep during their friendly soccer match in Jakarta

Jamaica ' s Stewart fights for the ball with Indonesia ' s Ponaryo Astaman

Jamaica's Donald Stewart (L) and Jermaine Taylor (R) fight for the ball with Indonesia's Bambang Pamungkas

Wory Wolfe (R) fights for the ball with Indonesia's Richardo Salampessy during their friendly soccer match at Gelora Bung Karno stadium

Jamaica's Christopher Harvey (R) fights for the ball with Indonesia's Muhammad Ridwan

Indonesia's Supardi, second right, battles for the ball with Jamaica's (from left to right), Adrian Reid, Wory Wolfe, Rudolph Austin, and Christopher Harvey, far right

Respect

Comment

nice. the surface looks immaculate!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

so when is wining important again?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Stop it! Let's take the positives out of this. It is not about winning, it is about creating winners. They are winners if they stepped off the jetbridge right onto that field and lost 2-1. If they maintained their shape while trying to fight jetlag, they are winners. If they competed for 90 minutes even after sitting in a metal tube at high pressure, then they are winners.

'Ow mi sound?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

it is a good result.

Comment

I'll give them the next game to say my thoughts...On this, I think we can all say decent effort and move on...still we need a win and I hope I see something in the next game...Now I haven't heard anyone mention/criticize Bora for only picking 2 forwards in the squad...he must have known that two forwards wasn't gonna cut it...Whatever happen to Kavin Bryan(sp)..is he discarded for good? I thought he was doing well....Any other name worth mentioning..what about somone from the U20team...Morrissey or someone...wouldn't this be good for them or they don't figure in Bora's plan
              Last edited by Plush; June 21, 2007, 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Winners win at any cost. Especially against "inferior" (?) teams.

Winning is a habit..so too is losing!!

Indonesia should have received no less than 6-love from Jamaica. Specially under brand name $million/year coach like Bora.

That's my view.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Only (some) Jamaicans think losing can be a good result.
                  LOSING IS NEVER...REPEAT...NEVER GOOD !!!
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

So HL, because a team is ranked below the Jamaica they are inferior.
                    Jamaica has good football players so why do the top countries considered us inferior. Indonesia, like many lowered-ranked nations have been improving their football standards for quite a while now. And rankings ?????

Comment

Working...
                    X