• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hislop strikes back at Jack!

Not fair Jack
    FPATT boss Hislop strikes back
    Lasana Liburd
    Tuesday, June 19th 2007
    The way they were: Soca Warriors at the 2006 FIFA World Cup.Shaka Hislop, interim president of the Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT), set a torrid pace for the fledgling organisation on Sunday with a biting response to FIFA vice-president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser Jack Warner's assertion that the World Cup players were "greedy" and held their country to ransom for unjustified claims.
    In a letter to the CONCACAF president, Hislop, who is one of 16 players threatening legal action against the T&TFF over a World Cup bonus dispute, rejected Warner's claims and countered with accusations of bias and slander on the part of the powerful football administrator who brokered the controversial World Cup pact on behalf of the T&TFF.
    Hislop, who represents United States Major League Soccer (MLS) outfit Dallas FC, rubbished Warner's suggestions that the players' decision to seek legal advice had forced a closure to settlement talks.
    Here now in full is Hislop's letter to Warner:
    Dear Mr Warner,

I am writing to you as President of the newly formed Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT), where we have been devoting our attentions to our launch and the business of representing our general membership.
    FPATT would like to join you in commending the courageous showing of the young Soca Warriors in this year's Gold Cup tournament, especially in their final drawn match against Guatemala when they played with 10 men for all of 58 minutes. It is this same courage that won the hearts of millions around the world at last year's World Cup. It truly was delightful to witness. They made us all proud.
    Your latest slanderous attack though has prompted me to write in defence of the characters of the most successful team in our nation's history.
    In response to your latest accusations, it is a person's human right to legal counsel. Your opposition and the TTFF's flailing attempts to deny them this right points to stratagem.
    In all my years as a professional player I have always retained the services of a lawyer to oversee all my negotiations, as I'm sure you have, given your many legal incongruities of late. This has never prevented me from entering into talks with anyone.
    Furthermore, these players have always been honoured to wear the red, black and white of Trinidad and Tobago and have never ruled themselves unavailable for national selection as incorrectly suggested. They have always been available to "sit down around a table and talk", albeit with counsel.
    Indeed, countless efforts to resolve this issue and promote transparency within the national game have seen the TTFF stand steadfast in their intrepidity.
    What they are seeking is an impartial ruling as to whether their claim, which they believe they are contractually entitled to, is "remotely justified" (as you put it) or not. You have continually proven yourself heavily biased and opinionated in this matter when in truth, in your capacity as CONCACAF President, you should be the one to advise on the impasse.
    The players who represented T&T in the World Cup are all professional footballers; this is their livelihood. This cannot be interpreted as "greed", or even worse holding anyone "to ransom".
    The absurdity of this statement and the blasé with which it has been bandied about is beyond me, as it should be to someone in your standing.
    This whole episode has shown the importance of a players' association to the modern game. President Blatter in his recent address to his delegates, commented on the efforts FIFA had made "to include players in the decision-making process by signing a memorandum of understanding with FIFPro, the international players' organisation".
    The TTFF must now follow FIFA's lead in recognising and working with FPATT in an effort to take our game, both at the national and international levels, forward.
    I look forward to your response.

Respectfully,
    Shaka Hislop.
    President- FPATT

Great! Like I said earlier today in another post, this idea by FIFA (CONCACAF incl.) that all football matters must be settled internally, is nonsense! Maybe FIFA is still smarting from Bosman but it's time they realise that they cannot function in a vacuum.

Not sure if anything will come from this though. Jack gets more defensive when he is challenged.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

FIFA wants to rule the world, and so does Jack. They know football is huge - from popularity and of course financially - so they milk it, fattening their coffers and tell Governments to play by THEIR rules, just give us the money, we'll do the rest. Absolute rot!

Comment

More on Jack & the TTFF..from Lasana Liburd TT Express
        http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index...g?id=161165498
        Peter R

Comment

Lisana Liburd deserves the Chaconia Medal (gold). If only we had someone in Jamaica with his mettle.

"The blacklisted players stated that they only require proof of the T&TFF accounts before accepting the World Cup bonuses on offer." - Jack mighta tell dem fi go jump in di sea!

Mark my words, this arrogance and accounting secrecy that some of us want in our local and regional football will come to an end. FIFA building nuh mek outta glass fi nutten! (tongue in cheek of course)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo, here is another quote that I find telling; I wonder if Karl is reading this.
            "There have been enough inquiries about Warner's professional ethics over the past 18 months to raise doubts in even the most naive patriot."
            Peter R

Comment

And, there have been enough questionable actions by Warner over the last 18 years to raise doubts in even the most naive regionalist.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X