My 2 cents from a fan in the stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2 cents from a fan in the stands

My 2 cents as a plain football fan: after watching Jamaica play live I got some questions answered. I always wondered why Jamaica never creates one and ones with the keepers and I often blamed the midfielders because the tv angle is alot different than the all 22 view (from stands)

This version of Jamaica as constructed will always be difficult to break down and score against because they are very organised and communicate well. The formation they seem to play is 4-4-2 but the two midfielders (Watson and Austin) are primarily defensive midfielders whose first inclination is to drop back. That creates a huge gap in the field between the forwards and midfielders and it seems like the strategy is to get the ball to the wings to McCanuff and McCleary (if a so them name spell) to bridge the gap. It works well in theory but putting a player on the sideline with the ball puts him at a disadvantage because the sideline is in essence an extra defender.

Now again I am not a coach but I don't see the need for 2 forwards...worst when one (Barnes) has no interest in the game unless the ball is within 15 yards of him. Never could see that on tv but it is glaring watching it live...his off the ball movement is non existent while Mattocks movement looks clunky because Barnes is fulling up dead space.

Jamaica would do well with an attacking midfielder bridging that gap and that would also free up space for the wingers because he would draw in the defenders.....don't know where they going find that kind of player but that is who they are missing in my eyes. Jermaine Hue had that potential but right now him just simply too old.

OH BTW...the Keeper want two box ASAP

Agree with you on the need for 4-5-1 with a real AM and the real solution is Mcanuff at am but we also want mattocks and Barnes on the field as they both bring unusual advantages each which we just don't have with anyone else so we have an issue on how to play our best eleven.
    On your solution, all I have to say is sigh!!!.......

Comment

Honestly Barnes is not a hard worker to me...Mattocks is almost working too hard...they are both fast and strong on the ball but they are both the same players to me....is almost like the Trezeguet Henry combination that bothered France for years which lead to Trezguet being sacrificed

Comment

Karl has been saying this and he is right. Barnes needs to show more commitment to the cause. Seems to have a prima dona attitude! Wha him feel like?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Culture Sound View Post
          My 2 cents as a plain football fan: after watching Jamaica play live I got some questions answered. I always wondered why Jamaica never creates one and ones with the keepers and I often blamed the midfielders because the tv angle is alot different than the all 22 view (from stands)

This version of Jamaica as constructed will always be difficult to break down and score against because they are very organised and communicate well. The formation they seem to play is 4-4-2 but the two midfielders (Watson and Austin) are primarily defensive midfielders whose first inclination is to drop back. That creates a huge gap in the field between the forwards and midfielders and it seems like the strategy is to get the ball to the wings to McCanuff and McCleary (if a so them name spell) to bridge the gap. It works well in theory but putting a player on the sideline with the ball puts him at a disadvantage because the sideline is in essence an extra defender.

Now again I am not a coach but I don't see the need for 2 forwards...worst when one (Barnes) has no interest in the game unless the ball is within 15 yards of him. Never could see that on tv but it is glaring watching it live...his off the ball movement is non existent while Mattocks movement looks clunky because Barnes is fulling up dead space.

Jamaica would do well with an attacking midfielder bridging that gap and that would also free up space for the wingers because he would draw in the defenders.....don't know where they going find that kind of player but that is who they are missing in my eyes. Jermaine Hue had that potential but right now him just simply too old.

OH BTW...the Keeper want two box ASAP
          Culture Sound, 'nice' overview. Not that I agree with everything.

btw - On another note: Gamma shall murda yuh! How dare you agree with Karl that Barnes was a waste on defense? Gamma has told that such is wickedness!

Of course, I applaud you for speaking, TRUTH!

I am in the process of watching the match for the 3rd time. End of 1st half. 2nd to be watched later today - I can say this: Mattocks is a totally different player than I have ever seen before...or put another way, he was beast on and for his TEAM. He attacked balls like his life depended on it! That is what I wish for my forwards and that is how 'real' forwards play.

He was great on attack and great on defense...as to his goal, MAGNIFICENT!!! ...but hear me out, even if he had not scored, he was a MONSTER TEAM man and player!

In this 1st half I think it was only twice he was beaten by the defense to reachable balls! Now that is a forward on the money with his play.

He showed up Barnes big time on the matter of what a TEAM man does! So in this match, we had 11 on attack and 10 on defense where the missing man was Barnes. That will not work at the highest levels to give our REGGAE BOYZ best opportunity at WINS against top World TEAMs.

Now in this first half our banks of 4 (2 banks) magnificent going forward and on defense. The man who was our last line of defense, Ryan Thompson was magnificent save for 'a minute'...when brain went missing and he attempted to pop and USA player missed with his toe poke. Phew! That was dodging a bullet. Thompson commanded his area and made 2 absolutely wonderful saves!!!!

So the USA outplayed us on possession and worked the ball deep into our penalty-area on 3 or 4 or 5 occasions...but although we were outplayed on possession I think (never counted...may do that on another day) we also went deep into the USA's penalty-area on another 3 or 4 or 5 times along with or in addition to the play that Mattocks scored.

Mattocks?
          Bwoy? ...have to say it again he met that ball...high...directed his header deliberately...wonderfully on goal. His header could not have been more precisely placed! MAGNIFICENT! Underlines - MEET THE BALL/ATTACK THE BALL/GETTING TO THE BALL FIRST and need for putting in THE (that) EFFORT!

Nothing but tremendous praise for the 10 and Mr. Barnes on going forward...and the 10 for superb defensive work!!!

So for those who questioned Ryan Thompson on variation on ball out-let. Hey...he does use other than the long kicks!!!!

Cannot help mentioning that in the very 2nd minute Barnes gave away the ball by not coming back from off-side position when it was easy to have done so. Unacceptable! For God's sake he is on our TEAM!!!

His FREE-KICKED GOAL was wonderful!!!

That display by this TEAM is the best I have seen from them. ...and they looked as if there is potential to be even MUCH BETTER! I hope the JFF keeps giving them frequent matches.

--------

Form memory: Ryan Thompson gave up a goal and luckily missed giving up a second within 10 minutes (less than 10 minutes I would guess) in the second half!

Gotta watch that 2nd half again as soon as I can.

-------

Finally, Culture Sound: The touch-lines allow for 'pulling apart' opposing defense as much as width of field allows. So playing your wingers wide can often create space to get in behind the opposing out-field defense and create space between and outside the center-backs for going in on goal!

Good ploy!
          Execution by our REGGAE BOYZ I considered very, very good. I think with better support movement by Barnes opportunities would have presented self for him and Mattocks to 'run on' on goal. Barnes seem to not realize that attack and defense are inseparable and both depend on excellent movement to be 'good'.

Perhaps patient explanation and use of videos showing 'good forward' and 'bad forward' and resulting outcomes may help him to grasp the importance of contributing on defense?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Karl has been saying this and he is right. Barnes needs to show more commitment to the cause. Seems to have a prima dona attitude! Wha him feel like?
            Damn? Mosiah? ...is that you, going against Gamma?
            S&^%%$###t? Something new... (where is the astonished emotion when you need it?)
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Hector is a general too before I thought he looked clumsy on the ball...but him and Wes are rock solid. Watson and Austin's chemistry is tops too as holding midfielders. I really think we are a year of practice matches away from really being serious contenders. Reality is this team has probably peaked and there are going to be some replacement parts needed when WCQ come around....also Alvas suppose to feel like dog doo doo in a paper bag that was set on fire now.

Comment

without his contribution, prima donna and all, where would we be?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

can't argue that Gamma...but his off the ball concentration is average at best...worst when I see it live

Comment

well, we used the copa as our friendlies it seemed .... tactical move or one of necessity?

go back read what schaeffer said leading up to copa.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

well then we should replace him.

I give you for example ROMARIO. if the man shows up when it matters and contributes being successful, 'low him. when he stops beinf effective, let him go.

man man used to cuss chanderpaull's batting stance because it was not rext book.. people used to cuss monica seles and her 2 handed backhand and even2 handed forehand ...calling it ugly etc.

mind you barnes is not in that rarified air BUT he contributes to the team winning and I will accept that warts and all knowing that I will give it to him hard if the production of goals and assists dries up.

btw apparently he has had multiple surgeries on his legs and I for one could understand him being reticent to go into hard tackles

Comment

I agree with Gamma.....Barnes is a hard worker in my eyes,
                        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

2nd dat, i couldnt say it better.He is in a hot streak, Mattocks hopefully just started his.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Agree with Hector, i was wrong about him.I think people dont like Barnes because he chews his bubblegum.

Comment

like Michael Jordan?

Comment

Working...
                              X