Gold Cup: Portland Timbers' Alvas Powell apologizes for Jama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Cup: Portland Timbers' Alvas Powell apologizes for Jama

Alvas Powell was back at Portland Timbers training Friday morning after leaving the Jamaican national team ahead of their quarterfinal match in the Gold Cup this weekend.

It was reported that the 20-year-old right back was upset with a lack of playing time in the tournament, but Powell released a statement Friday afternoon that refuted that claim.

“Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologize to the people of Jamaica, the [Jamaican Football Federation] and my teammates,” Powell’s statement reads. “I am truly sorry this situation has occurred, as I wanted to play for my country in the Gold Cup. Unfortunately, things were not handled right and I take full responsibility for my actions, but this wasn’t to do with lack of playing time.”.............

http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/201...t-playing-time
    No need to thank me forumites.

Happy to see that, good move

Comment

Sounds to me like damage control as he realizes what he's done in the cold light of day... whatever the reason, he abandoned the team Unless and until he reveals why, and it is reasonable which in itself will be a subjective opinion, then he still has let the side down, apology or no apology.
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
        Happy to see that, good move
        Really?!? And I thought I was soft on the player!

This apology, or whatever it is, means nothing!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
          Sounds to me like damage control as he realizes what he's done in the cold light of day... whatever the reason, he abandoned the team Unless and until he reveals why, and it is reasonable which in itself will be a subjective opinion, then he still has let the side down, apology or no apology.
          I think white jeezas correctly said "the team is more important than the individual".
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

him never realize the attack would be so fast and furious. Plus Caleb Porter must sit him down and talk to him upon arrival in Portland.

He has more apologizing to do.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

All this might have done now is cause more speculation.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The only possible explanation?
                I guess he is handcuffed?
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  him never realize the attack would be so fast and furious. Plus Caleb Porter must sit him down and talk to him upon arrival in Portland.

He has more apologizing to do.
                  ...and perhaps he was made to understand...'privately' that his job was on the line if hr did not find his arse back at the club and any bscklash he must step forward and be the GOAT as not so doing also meant job goes poof!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

You are on point, HL.
                    ...and that move by the youngster, matters not if his life depended on it...and understandable as 'living for a cause is a zillion times more worthy than dying for one'...leaving the TEAM is not TEAM!

Comment

Agreed and with speed. Don't give it too much time to fester. Ha I g said that though another kettle of fish arises if it is not about playing time

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes but having realized that he SHOULD go into damage control mode. It is the right thing to do

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

True enough... but as Sass suggests, he will have some more apologizing (explaining) to do. He has youth (and hopefully smarts and a good advisor) on his side.
                          Peter R

Comment

I am easy on players but him should go away... There was a scenario in the game deep in injury time when we were running the clock down at corner flag and we switched the field to Alvas who could have easily did the same on the opposite corner and instead he took a speculative shot over the bar to give them a goal kick to attack again, that tells me he is it on the same page. It's hard to get to England without playing for your national team!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              Really?!? And I thought I was soft on the player!

This apology, or whatever it is, means nothing!
                              It is the start of the reconciliation process. I am sure we all agree that his actions were unacceptable, however he is a young man and young people tend to make mistakes so if things are handled in the correct manner moving forward I wouldn't have any problem as a fan if he is allowed back into the group.

Comment

Working...
                              X