Jamaican journalism ....SMH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican journalism ....SMH

"In the second half we changed our tactics to 3-5-2, but I told my team before that El Salvador will fight as they want to win this match... and our goalkeeper (Miller) and Taylor go, but importantly we came back in the second half, and we played better with 10 players," said the journeyman coach.
    Schaefer, who also coached former African champions Cameroon, said he had confidence in those players on the bench to step up when called upon.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...pirit_19218955

Why does the writer feels he has to describe the coach as journeyman?
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

I am guessing he is using the term incorrectly. He sees the word "journey" in journeyman and decided that since Schaeffer has coached in several countries around the world he is a "journeyman". Mourinho and Benitez would therefore also be classified as "journeymen" given the way I interpret his use of the word.

"Journeyman", in sports, is usually used to describe a reliable but otherwise unremarkable sports player, not the coach. The writer has definitely IMO misused the word.
    Peter R

Comment

Working...
    X