Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lalas slams 'second-rate' Premiership

First Published: Jun 19, 2007
    Real Madrid midfielder David Beckham gestures during the final Spanish league match against Mallorca in Madrid, 19 June 2006. Stung by suggestions Beckham is heading into semi-retirement in Major League Soccer (MLS), the President of LA Galaxy has branded the English Premiership an over-hyped, "inferior product."

Stung by suggestions David Beckham is heading into semi-retirement in Major League Soccer (MLS), the President of LA Galaxy has branded the English Premiership an over-hyped, "inferior product."
    Alexi Lalas, the guitar-playing former US defender and captain, let rip in an interview with Tuesday's Guardian newspaper in which he slammed much of the commentary surrounding Beckham's move to California as ignorant and delusional.
    "We may be Americans but we're not stupid," Lalas said. "We know when we're being patronised and I get so irritated when I hear the experts in England talk about David Beckham as if he's going into semi-retirement by leaving Real Madrid for Los Angeles.
    "That's ignorance of the first degree because almost every one of those critics has not even seen a single MLS game. It's insulting to us and to our sport to say Beckham is on his way to Hollywood when he's coming to play in one of the most competitive leagues in the world.
    "There are a lot of stars in European football who would struggle over here. But Beckham has done his homework on this league, and his team-mates, and he recognises the merit of American soccer."
    Fresh from winning La Liga with Real, Beckham is due in LA in the middle of next month and has signed a five-year-deal worth 250-million-dollars which will see him take centre stage in efforts to raise the profile of US soccer at home and abroad.
    Beckham's recent return to the England side has fuelled a fresh round of dismissive assessments of the level of the MLS, with many pundits suggesting the midfielder will struggle to stay competitive while operating in a competition frequently compared to the Championship, English football's second tier.
    But Lalas believes the perception of the Premiership as the world's top league is largely the product of superb marketing which manages to mask the huge gulf between the top, rich clubs and the rest.
    "English football now has the haves and the have-nots, and even the top four in the Premiership may be narrowing down to two," he argued.
    "But because of the structure of our league and the salary cap our competition runs deep. It's just that the Premiership have become so skilled in presentation. They took a page out of American football and now have Saturday Showdowns and Super Sundays. I love it. This is high-calibre marketing: taking an inferior product and improving it through packaging.
    "You know, there's no accounting for bad taste. The fact that a segment of the world worships an inferior product in the Premiership is their business.
    "In England our league is considered second-class but I honestly believe if you took a helicopter and grabbed a bunch of MLS players and took them to the perceived best league in the world they wouldn't miss a beat and the fans wouldn't notice any drop in quality."
    Lalas went on to suggest it is only a matter of time before the best teams in the United States are rubbing shoulders with the likes of Real and Manchester United in a world club championship that will rival the Champions League in terms of quality and interest.
    "Beckham is not going to change anything overnight but the hope is that this will be a big stepping stone towards the point where we see ourselves in 20 years. We want to emerge as America's first super-club, to compete with Madrid and Man United. Some might say that's a pipe-dream but I prefer to call it our vision."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I hope that weed Lalas smoking is for medication. Lalas need to get a grip of himself. Worse him guh mek reference to that 5hit second tier sport? Lalas needs to be fired!

Where have I heard this before, "There are a lot of stars in European football who would struggle over here."

Oh yes, wasn't it about farin ballas struggling in the NPL? Comical!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

""We may be Americans but we're not stupid," Lalas said."

heh heh! Maybe not all Americans, but these statements by Lalas remove all doubt about his headspace. Buck one ball too many it seems.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah, Lalas might run his mouth too much.

But when he talks about the Premier Leauge being over-hyped and competitive for only 4 teams he is right.

And I've seen a few posters on this forum arguing the exact same thing.
        "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
        - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
          Yeah, Lalas might run his mouth too much.

But when he talks about the Premier Leauge being over-hyped and competitive for only 4 teams he is right.

And I've seen a few posters on this forum arguing the exact same thing.
          Some ites will go at lengths to put down the EPL. I recall one ite who came here claiming colonial brainwash when Liverpool was 3-0 down to Milan. He is yet to apologize to the football fans around here ... I guess he is still wiping the eggs off his face.

Lalas seem to tek himself a little too serious. I thought he was joking when he said, "Beckham has played for 2 great teams and I would like to think he is coming to a 3rd."

Come now?

Comment

"...I would like to think..." heh heh!

I would like to think that Lisa Hanna wants me!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That's why La Liga is better because the EPL does fall off after the top 4 or 5 teams, but still, Lalas' tirade is ridiculous!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lalas need to get some a the good sensi from JamDown because the "Cali-weed" have him talking ****************. The MLS is not even as good as the English second tier (what's it?) league. I must admit though that this season's matches are more entertaining. But not until they change the format and start relegating and promoting teams, will we see true competitiveness amongst the players.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

lalas is delusional , Its not four good teams in England its 5. You have to include spurs and Liverpool in that mix.

Comment

I think the better teams in the Mls would dominate the English second tier. But he is right the MLS is not as bad as the EPl people who have not seen a game thinks.

Comment

True

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                        I think the better teams in the Mls would dominate the English second tier. But he is right the MLS is not as bad as the EPl people who have not seen a game thinks.
                        No they would not dominate. Which teams would you consider MLS top teams? I think they would hold their own, but dominate, no.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                          lalas is delusional , Its not four good teams in England its 5. You have to include spurs and Liverpool in that mix.
                          I'm pretty sure that he was thinking of Liverpool as being one of the 4 teams, along with Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

But Spurs? Please.

When is the last time they won the League?

When is the last time that they even came close??
                          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                          - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                            I'm pretty sure that he was thinking of Liverpool as being one of the 4 teams, along with Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

But Spurs? Please.

When is the last time they won the League?

When is the last time that they even came close??
                            Well based on your questions, Liverpool wouldn't be in the "big 4"

Every league have elite teams. Italy have the Milans and Juventus. Spain have Real Madrid and Barca. Is just the past 3 season Sevilla start moving up. France have only Lyon, Scotland have Celtic and Rangers.

Comment

We talking elite teams or competitive teams? Spain has more than just Real and Barca when it comes to competitive.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X