Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWI creates history , to play in RSPL next season

Well done UWI.

ST CATHERINE, Jamaica - University of the West Indies (UWI) advanced to next season's Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) despite failing to defeat Savannah SC at Frome Sports Complex on Sunday

The teams battled to a 2-2 result, which gave UWI nine points and secured second place in the four-team standings.

Portmore, who already secured their promotion to top-tier football, did UWI a massive favour by brushing aside York United 5-0 at Spanish Town Prison Oval

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...-season-s-RSPL
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Good for them. My friend son with get some good games next season.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Very nice! Uwi come a long way, I once played on a Irvine hall team against BT at BT back when BT was national champion and Ali McNab played that match, we drew them 2-2, pretty much the peak of my own football life.

Comment

What position did you play, Stoni? No, let me guess!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mi teach, him drop offa de the bench. LOL!!!
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Guess, you should be able to figure it out.

Comment

Yuh was one a dem outta-mi-life big kick defenders, but very disciplined, finishing with an average of 7.53 OMLs/game for the season.

A lie?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Defender for sure but mostly as one ah dem super fit left back that could run up and down the flank (very small window), good left foot and ok right. Most people called me ah dirty player, but I was just rough, not dirty, never threw a punch or kick with any malice, well ...maybe a few!!

Comment

that mean you woulda stop Mosiah with him lickle pretty ball. LOL!!!

Comment

I was a defender myself, and hardly pretty. Didn't have the skills to be pretty, but I made few mistakes and did the basics well, at least, so I thought!

They didn't call me Field Marshall fi nutten!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Can someone explain this to me. A UWI team would be made up of student athletes, correct? How would the team being in the RSPL be a good thing when:
                      1. students would be coming and going each season
                      2. are they being paid to play football

I don't understand.
                      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

You have hit the nail on the head Jungle. I was thinking the same thing a d saying to myself that our football is in a serious state of decline if some part-timers have qualified for our top competition. I wonder too with the constant flux of players and the fact that students will have first priority to their studies, can we expect them to be competitive?
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                          UWI would be better off beefing up their academic programs rather than focusing on semi-pro ball in my view.

Their football should be recreational...Leave this "big league" thing for legitimate football clubs
                          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

If UWI had any use, they would send a robot team to play for the title

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well I can't speak to the issue of quality of the RPSL itself but it is not a totally new thing in the Jamaican / Caribbean context.

I understand that UWI played Major League way back in the day (60s) and they are now KASAFA champions so it's not like they came from nowhere.

In cricket, a combined UWI team has competed in the regional completion against professional players . Not sure if they still do.

In track and field , they have competed with the clubs/ institutions events at local meets along with Utech and other colleges

In Jamaica and the Caribbean there are typically not many competitive college sports teams , so if a program is showing good progress I see nothing wrong with allowing them to compete against clubs and other institutions. If they are not competitive they will get demoted like any other team and can go back to playing Mico and College of Agriculture. Same is true for the outstanding Utech relay teams, do you want them competing against Shortwood teachers college or Racers and MVP?

Who remember when the JDF played major and premier league and actually won be whole thing one year?
                              Last edited by Islandman; June 23, 2015, 12:27 PM.
                              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X