Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunny!!! I saw your proposed lineup for

Jamaica's Copa America team:

"The team I am expecting to start is Miller in goal Mariappa at right back Lawrence at left back with Hector and Wes Morgan as the 2 centre backs
    midfield 5 of Austin, McAnuff, McCleary, Dawkins and Barnes with Mattocks as the lone striker."

You are using the 4-5-1 formation, which suggests that counter attacking is going to be an important part of your offense, so you will need wing backs that can be effective in both defending & attacking...........The 2 Jamaican wing backs I'm familiar with & think would be very effective & productive in such a system are Lawrence & Powell. Lawrence is a good/solid left back who can be dangerous in counter attacks/offense; Powell reminds me of Yedlin - effective defender who has the speed to recover, but can burn opposing defenders on the counter..........In my opinion if you have 2 wing backs that can contribute on defense & beat opposing defenders, you will have the opposing team's midfielders & center-backs being pulled out of position to help with cover & that will open spaces for Jamaica's onrushing attackers.

So the 2 questions I have are -
    1. Who's the better center-back, Mariappa or Hector???
    2. Who's the better right back, Mariappa or Powell???

Originally posted by USAF View Post
    Jamaica's Copa America team:

"The team I am expecting to start is Miller in goal Mariappa at right back Lawrence at left back with Hector and Wes Morgan as the 2 centre backs
    midfield 5 of Austin, McAnuff, McCleary, Dawkins and Barnes with Mattocks as the lone striker."

You are using the 4-5-1 formation, which suggests that counter attacking is going to be an important part of your offense, so you will need wing backs that can be effective in both defending & attacking...........The 2 Jamaican wing backs I'm familiar with & think would be very effective & productive in such a system are Lawrence & Powell. Lawrence is a good/solid left back who can be dangerous in counter attacks/offense; Powell reminds me of Yedlin - effective defender who has the speed to recover, but can burn opposing defenders on the counter..........In my opinion if you have 2 wing backs that can contribute on defense & beat opposing defenders, you will have the opposing team's midfielders & center-backs being pulled out of position to help with cover & that will open spaces for Jamaica's onrushing attackers.

So the 2 questions I have are -
    1. Who's the better center-back, Mariappa or Hector???
    2. Who's the better right back, Mariappa or Powell???
    USAF it is a difficult question for me to answer because I just haven't seen enough of Powell, the little of him I've seen I get the impression that he has enormous potential to be a top player. In the case of Hector and Mariappa as centre back I honestly believe that Hector has the qualities to go on and play for a top team so he has the edge for me. USAF you also have to remember that Powell is not in the squad so at this moment Mariappa is the best right back available to us.

Comment

I fail to understand why we are discussing Powell when he is not in the squad for Copa. We have to pick from the available players.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
        I fail to why we are discussing Powell when he is not in the squad for Copa. We have to pick from the available players.
        To be fair to USAF he probably didn't realize

Comment

Okay, understood.

Powell has been included in the provisional 30 man Gold Cup squad. If both are selected in the final squad, then we can revisit this conversation.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

My bad!!! Thought Powell would have been included to give him valuable international experience & exposure, and develop a strong, cohesive defensive unit for this year and years to come.

Comment

My bad!!! Thought Powell would have been included to give him valuable international experience & exposure, and develop a strong, cohesive defensive unit for this year and years to come.
              I heard he was carrying little niggles so wasn't a hundred percent fit so his club was reluctant to release him for the Copa. The Copa is not a CONCACAF tournament so player release aren't mandatory.

Comment

I guess only the coach knows (and maybe the player), why Powell is not in the squad. I think we can rule out injury as the player is playing with his club.

But anyway, it was always understood that with Copa and the Gold Cup happening so close to each other, not everyone would be called. Maybe when Powell is available, Lawrence will not. I guess both are young and trying to establish themselves with their respective clubs and therefore cannot afford to miss too much time. This is especially true when you consider that the MLS won't break for the Gold Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                  I guess only the coach knows (and maybe the player), why Powell is not in the squad. I think we can rule out injury as the player is playing with his club.

But anyway, it was always understood that with Copa and the Gold Cup happening so close to each other, not everyone would be called. Maybe when Powell is available, Lawrence will not. I guess both are young and trying to establish themselves with their respective clubs and therefore cannot afford to miss too much time. This is especially true when you consider that the MLS won't break for the Gold Cup.
                  Rahtid!! Will MLS be playing while the Gold Cup is on?

Comment

The problem/obstacle!

Question: Granted each player has to be an attacker and a defender...must do both for any TEAM to be considered able to 'live' with first rate opposition: Is it easier on technical abilities to attack or defend?

Well how often on playing a defensive game will our TEAM be able to 'break' on attack or if you will, 'the counter'?

Is the skill level of our players such that against quality opposition they can most often on the counter execute wondrously?

Is that defensive posture or mind-set a good idea?

...and if we believe playing in such a manner is to prevent 'cricket scores' against, is this good for long-term development of our game or national senior team?

The flip side is, if belief in our players skills has the tacticians thinking, wins...then that may very well be wonderful strategy!!!

Wonder what the tacticians think are our strengths and weaknesses relative to the level competition we shall face
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I don't think anything's wrong with Powell because he played the full 90 last weekend & there's no report of injury or any problems.........I think Portland (like any professional club) wants to keep him as much as they can because the Western Conference is tight.

Comment

I saw an interview, about 2 weeks ago, where Miguel Herrera said the Mexico squad for the Gold Cup would be stronger than the Copa America squad.

Comment

I don't think anything's wrong with Powell because he played the full 90 last weekend & there's no report of injury or any problems.........I think Portland (like any professional club) wants to keep him as much as they can because the Western Conference is tight.
                          ok, makes sense

Comment

They refuse to break, even though they are getting criticism from fans and coaches........Heard that U.S. Soccer was trying to get them to have a break.

Comment

They refuse to break, even though they are getting criticism from fans and coaches........Heard that U.S. Soccer was trying to get them to have a break.
                              It would make sense to break while the confederation's flagship tournament is in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X