• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radcliffe voted out

Radcliffe voted out
    Dr Walton Small is new ISSA president
    BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, June 16, 2007

Clement Radcliffe's marathon stint of 18 years as president of the powerful Inter-secondary School Sports Association (ISSA), ended yesterday at the association's annual general meeting held at the Terra Nova Hotel in Kingston.
    RADCLIFFE. was first elected to the ISSA presidency in 1989
    Delegates - all of whom are principals - voted in the affirmative for Anchovy High's Dr Walton Small by the margin of 60-33 to end Radcliffe's dream of serving a 10th two-year term as ISSA boss.
    Sporting World understands that approximately 120 principals were eligible to vote.
    Radcliffe, who has been principal of Glenmuir High School since 1983, was first elected to the ISSA presidency in 1989. However, the 57-year-old administrator will still serve on the ISSA executive in the post of chairman of the (Athletics) champs Committee, replacing Wolmer's Boys' principal Dave Myrie, who did not seek re-election.
    Elevated from the post of DaCosta Cup chairman for which he has served since 1998, Dr Small told Sporting World that he will be working to move the association forward after taking the torch from Radcliffe.
    "First of all, I would like to say that I'm really honoured to be chosen as the president of ISSA - a very prestigious organisation that had been led by Mr Radcliffe - a man who has given tremendous service to this organisation and I know it is going to take a lot to fill the shoes of this gigantic man," Dr Small said.
    Pointing out that a number of persons from the previous executive has been retained, Dr Small indicated that finding a new home for the association ranks high on his list of things to do.
    "Right now the main activity on the agenda is to secure a property to house ISSA, because right where we are now (21 Lindsay Crescent, Kingston 10) is not very convenient," he said.
    On the sporting front, Dr Small explained that much is on the horizon.
    "As it relates to the sporting organisation. I think we are going to be taking on a new sport - the Volleyball programme, the issue of checking on schools to ensure that they abide by the rules of ISSA and so on," he said.
    Dr Small, who is married and father of five children - four of them boys - indicated that further details of his plans will unfold after he chairs his first meeting with the new executive.
    In the meantime, Radcliffe, who was conferred with the Order of Distinction (officer class) for outstanding service to education, sports and culture at last October's annual Heroes' Day function at King's House, told Sporting World that he does not regret serving.

Long overdue!!

Comment

Dont know the details behind the decision to continue with Pepsi but... I have a feeling that this dude needed to go and I hope this is a clear message for the incoming President to run ISSA as a more transparent organization... because when people nuh know how it go, mout cut cross-way... so dem start to put it how it go and it will cause an image problem for an organization that depends so much on sponsors...
      SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

Working...
      X