• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxhill lashes media for 'double standard'

Boxhill lashes media for 'double standard'

BY HORACE HINES Observer staff reporter
    Saturday, June 16, 2007

President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Crenston Boxhill, has come out in strong support of technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic's decision to expose as many available local talent as possible in preparation for 2010 World Cup, but accused the media of being "so fickle at times".

BOXHILL... backs Bora all the way
    Boxhill recounted that after the national senior team failed in their bid to qualify for the 2006 World Cup Finals, the Boyz copped the Digicel Caribbean Cup with only local-based players. The JFF boss noted that the media was in full support of the move then.
    "Members of the media supported the move wholeheartedly. They came out, they figured that some of the time the foreign-based players weren't committed enough,they figured it was the best move the JFF could have made, and it's good to give the local-based players the exposure," Boxhill said.

"But ladies and gentlemen in recent times, as recently as a week ago, the same media is saying you have so many foreign-based players here on holidays, why you putting up these little fool, fool players. We need to find a balance," Boxhill added.

Speaking at the launch of the Round Hill Hotel-sponsored Hopewell Corner League in Hanover on Thursday, Boxhill was quick to point out that the JFF is aware of what the overseas-based players are capable of as their performances are monitored during their club games.

"The coach travels sometimes to as far as Europe to watch them play, therefore he knows what they are capable of doing," said the JFF boss.

"What he has not been able to identify so far is what the local-based players can do. And therefore he figures that travelling to every nook and cranny of this country identifying players... teaching them and exposing them to a higher level of football (will pay off)," Boxhill explained
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

One of the crazy things about the Burrell administration was that after the euphoria of France '98 they didn't chill and let more local players come on board they saw what Burton and Hall and Simpson came and did and di man dem just start pack up the team with all and sundry from England Nationwide Leaguers to boot... Who remembers that UB40 heavy squad that Simoes took to the Gold Cup di man dem come in wid pure name and accent and left without even one 'goal for'. Those were dark days for people like Jerry Hue and other young talented players in Jamaica.

I wonder how some man cant say kick out Boxhill without saying Bring back Burrell? Who can forget some of the crap that went on under Burrell after 1998... I wont...
    SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

Not fair Siya it was a mixture. You had Ricardo Fuller, Fanna, Steve Green, Tappa, Bibi, Goodison, Shorty Malcolm, Barrett, Aaron Lawerence, and others in the squad. It was a mixed squad. Only about 4 or 5 UB40 started although Gale missed a easy one and Frank Sinclair walk the man in the goal. Tappa got injured the monday and the goalie pick up a silly red to make the game easy for Honduras.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Boxhill have problem wid di media ... Portia have problem wid di media ... bwoy ... we have some poppy show fi leada.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Please, sass. It looked ridiculous! We picked up all sorts of questionable players who barely had more ability than many players we have here. I can't remember the names of some of them, but Marcus Gayle comes to mind, even while being one of the better ones. We totally ignored our local players as far as I was concerned. When I preached against the habit of searching thru passports and family trees, some of us here thought I was saying that farin yardies should not be on the team. I was saying no such thing, but certainly not at the expense of our many talented Adus here. Unnu tink is just now since Bora deh yah dat good local players exist? All outside of the NPL?!

And I will never stop say it - farin yardies must make themselves available long before things start looking good. We have now an U-15 team for which they can avail themselves.

And don't give me that crap about professionalism that these players bring to the table. When their professionalism pales in comparison to the raw talent of the local players, they can keep it. We have seen how EPL professionalism has left much to be desired in the past.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lazie, is it possible that the media really has a problem? Are you impressed with our media?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Marcus Gayle comes to mind,

Marcus Gayle... @&#$^@ Marcus Gayle played on the Jamaican National team... sure starter too come to think of it Da Simoes bredda deh did a keep up some almshouse pon we too you know...
              Marcus #%^#% Gayle.....
              SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

He was CAPTAIN, even!!!

(Did he play for Simoes or Clovis?)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah there were some UB40s but there were a lot of young promising Jamaican born players in that squad as well.

BE FAIR.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Lazie, is it possible that the media really has a problem? Are you impressed with our media?
                    I didn't say I was impressed with the media ... the thing is I'm even less impressed with those two poppyshows.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

But you wouldn't stop for a minute to see if this time, just for once, he might be talking sense.

Okay.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

After 98 Simoes used Steve Green, Robert Scarlett, Claude Davis, Patrick Graham, Ainsworth Kerr, Rae Graham, Markino Gillings, Jermaine Johnson, Fuller, Fanna and more.

And he got very much cursed when he lost while using them.

Comment

plus Tappa, Goodison and Shorty, Bibi and the two goalie, plus Chris Dawes, Dixon etc. He had Fitroy, Burton, Gayle, Frank Sinclair, and M.Johnson on the bench as far as I can remember, maybe one more foriegner and that is the loaded UB40 goal cup team them talk about.

Bias is a hell of a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                            Boxhill lashes media for 'double standard'

BY HORACE HINES Observer staff reporter
                            Saturday, June 16, 2007

President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Crenston Boxhill, has come out in strong support of technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic's decision to expose as many available local talent as possible in preparation for 2010 World Cup, but accused the media of being "so fickle at times".

BOXHILL... backs Bora all the way
                            Boxhill recounted that after the national senior team failed in their bid to qualify for the 2006 World Cup Finals, the Boyz copped the Digicel Caribbean Cup with only local-based players. The JFF boss noted that the media was in full support of the move then.
                            "Members of the media supported the move wholeheartedly. They came out, they figured that some of the time the foreign-based players weren't committed enough,they figured it was the best move the JFF could have made, and it's good to give the local-based players the exposure," Boxhill said.

"But ladies and gentlemen in recent times, as recently as a week ago, the same media is saying you have so many foreign-based players here on holidays, why you putting up these little fool, fool players. We need to find a balance," Boxhill added.

Speaking at the launch of the Round Hill Hotel-sponsored Hopewell Corner League in Hanover on Thursday, Boxhill was quick to point out that the JFF is aware of what the overseas-based players are capable of as their performances are monitored during their club games.

"The coach travels sometimes to as far as Europe to watch them play, therefore he knows what they are capable of doing," said the JFF boss.

"What he has not been able to identify so far is what the local-based players can do. And therefore he figures that travelling to every nook and cranny of this country identifying players... teaching them and exposing them to a higher level of football (will pay off)," Boxhill explained
                            Oh well!
                            Most of the media types haven't a clue about the game! ...so does Mr. Boxhill!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                            X