Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ressurection of Smalling

Chris Smalling enjoying greater “responsibility” under Louis van Gaal

Speaking to the Guardian, Smalling revealed: “The manager stresses that he wants the centre-halves taking responsibility rather than the easy option and passing to the full-back when the room is too narrow and they can’t really do much with the ball.

“He says: ‘Why pass it to him when you’ve got no one marking you? Try to entice and, if the opportunity comes, pass it to someone in a better position’. ”

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/chris-sm...OwtQrvPMbjX.99
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I think the resurrection has more to do with suspensions and injuries ,that is how he became a regular starter.I would love to see more of Blakett,seen enough to know he has tremendous potentials,and given LvG's disclosure(according to Smalling)that he prefers good ball handlers at the back,Blackett seems to fit the bill.There are times when it makes sense to field a taller defender or one that will help on the flanks.I am still trying to figure out what is McNair's best position,I suspect it is further up the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
      I think the resurrection has more to do with suspensions and injuries ,that is how he became a regular starter.I would love to see more of Blakett,seen enough to know he has tremendous potentials,and given LvG's disclosure(according to Smalling)that he prefers good ball handlers at the back,Blackett seems to fit the bill.There are times when it makes sense to field a taller defender or one that will help on the flanks.I still trying to figure out what is McNair's best position,I suspect it is further up the field.
      ever since he got it wrong against Citeh, how has he played when called upon? How would you rank him when compared to the other central defenders?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well thst is the thing,Smalling is not above showing lapses in judgement ,apart from that he is sound and will only be better with the passing of time.For me he is our best defender,nevertheless,a work in progress.

Comment

hopefully he has gotten over his injuries and silly cards. That is what has kept him back most. I think Paddy McNair is a good partner for him. Get rid of Evans for sure, McNair is better than him.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I think Blackett is miles ahead of McNair,we tried McNair on the right side of the defense and he failed miserably,Blackett has yet to hit such low.There is something to McNair though,and it has to do with further up the field.Rojo has a striker shot,that helps in the pecking order.

Comment

Blackett is good but he has to wait his turn as he is not better than those in front of him. Smalling has come on leaps and bounds this season. Jones is also improving but I like the Rojo and Smalling pairing. McNair is a phenomenal talent. With the exception of Evans, all of our young defenders have shown massive improvements this season.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I like Blackett but the only place he is ahead of McNair is on the LB. McNair can play center, right, and DM. Did you see the rifle of a shot he pulled?
                Last edited by Assasin; April 21, 2015, 03:18 PM.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  I like Blackett but the only place he is ahead of McNair is on the LB. McNair can play center, right, and DM. Did you see the rifle of a hot he pulled?
                  Rockman might not be aware who name McNair.

Comment

Not sold on the idea that he is a defender,and all the accolades he is getting are a result of prowess further up the field.
                    It would not be the first time I would be wrong though,Fellaini attests to that.

Comment

Opponents tend to show Blackett more respect than they do his teammates,he is hardly ever tackled,simply allowed to advance with the ball,that makes him unique.Start paying close attention to his ball handling skills,boss.

Comment

Can't have a problem with that.

Comment

other than one bad half, he has not missed many tackles. Good defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                            Chris Smalling enjoying greater “responsibility” under Louis van Gaal

Speaking to the Guardian, Smalling revealed: “The manager stresses that he wants the centre-halves taking responsibility rather than the easy option and passing to the full-back when the room is too narrow and they can’t really do much with the ball.

“He says: ‘Why pass it to him when you’ve got no one marking you? Try to entice and, if the opportunity comes, pass it to someone in a better position’. ”

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/chris-sm...OwtQrvPMbjX.99
                            Now that LVG thinks the real game! im hup!

btw - How is that different from calling for Sanchez to pass when there is no sensible need to bruk? ...calling for Sanchez to use his gifts in a sensible manner = a TEAM manner?
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                            X