Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell: Gold Cup absence could hurt

Burrell: Gold Cup absence could undermine 2010 World Cup bid

Trinidad and Tobago's Andre Troussaint (11) breaks away from United States' Michael Parkhurst (16) and Jay Demerit during the first half of the CONCACAF Gold Cup football game at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, on Saturday. USA won, 2-0. - AP
    GORDON WILLIAMS, Contributor
    MIAMI, Florida
    The Reggae Boyz's failure to qualify for the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup is worrying former Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) boss, Captain Horace Burrell, who believes their absence from the tournament could seriously damage the country's bid for a place in World Cup 2010.
    Burrell, a vice-president of CONCACAF who served as match commissioner during Saturday's game between Canada and Guadeloupe at the Orange Bowl here, said while Jamaica is expected to play several friendly internationals in preparation for World Cup qualifiers, which begin in 2008, the absence from tournament-type competition featured at the Gold Cup could short-change their efforts.
    "I think, first of all, the standard of football being played in this Gold Cup is higher than I have ever seen throughout the years; all the teams seemed to have improved considerably," explained Burrell on Saturday night as Haiti played Costa Rica in the second game of the double-header. "And, of course, Jamaica not being here is certainly at a disadvantage and will be at a disadvantage a little later during the qualifiers.
    Even more worried

"To be honest with you, as a Jamaican, I am now even more concerned about our chances of qualifying (for the World Cup), seeing what these (Gold Cup) teams are doing now and knowing the amount of work that they are doing and the level of pre-paredness that is now taking place among these teams," added Burrell, who plans to run for election as JFF president in November.
    "I have to be concerned because the qualifiers are set to commence early next year and I am not sure that we have yet begun in as serious a way as we should have, as these teams are now doing. And, I'm really hoping that the absence of a tournament like this does not come back to haunt us a little later."
    Jamaica failed to qualify for the final round of the Digicel Caribbean Cup and, therefore, had no chance of playing in the Gold Cup, which hosts the top-four teams from the Caribbean. Haiti, Guadeloupe, Trinidad and Tobago and Cuba are representing the region in the 12-team tournament being played June 6-24 in the United States.
    Burrell also criticised what he described as the steady decline of Jamaica's football programme, which he said was reflected in not only the nation's failure to reach the Gold Cup, but also the Under-17 and Under-20 World Youth Championships (WYC) this year. Both youth teams, although declared by the current JFF administration as being among the best prepared in the country's history, bowed out in the final qualifying round.
    "Everyone by now, even the blindest of all, would have realised the rapid regression that has taken place, you know, as it relates to Jamaican football," Burrell said.
    Under Burrell's nearly decade-long tenure as JFF president, before he was ousted four years ago by the current administration led by Crenston Boxhill, Jamaica qualified for the finals of the 1999 Under-17 WYC, the 2001 Under-20 WYC and the senior World Cup finals in 1998. None of Jamaica's teams has reached the finals of a world championship tournament since.
    Burrell insisted that with the favourable draw Jamaica received to qualify for the Gold Cup and, at least the Under-17 WYC, it was difficult to fathom how those teams failed to advance.
    Silver platter

"How can one rationalise not qualifying for an important event like this when you got it on a platter?" he asked. "We got an opportunity to host, at home, a Caribbean zone to qualify for the Digicel Caribbean Cup. We failed to qualify, at home - at home - against teams like St. Vincent, Haiti and so on. Those are teams that qualified ahead of Jamaica. And so we have suffered by not qualifying for this one (Gold Cup).
    "And also, talking about the other age group competitions, when you look at the recently concluded Under-17 qualifying tournament in Jamaica, where there were five teams, three qualifying for a World Cup finals, at home, and Jamaica not qualifying, not coming one to three, instead we finished dead last, compared to 1999 when four teams played the qualifying tournament in Jamaica and Jamaica won the tournament, thereby qualifying for the World Cup in New Zealand, for the Under-17 World Cup. That is the kind of comparison I'm making."
    As Jamaica's status in world football, according to Burrell, continues to tumble, not even the once-impregnable 'Office' holds any fears for visiting teams. Jamaica once enjoyed an impressive unbeaten streak at the National Stadium, but losses have come more frequently in recent times, including a 1-0 defeat to Chile on June 5.
    "The Office is no longer a fortress," he said.
    Burrell explained that lack of football talent was not Jamaica's problem, and even admitted that the country produced more talented players in generations prior to qualifying for France '98.
    "I believe that in the years prior to my taking over (as JFF president), the talent in Jamaica was even better," he said while mentioning the names of several former national players, including Allan 'Skill' Cole, Lenworth 'Teacher' Hyde, Dennis 'Den Den' Hutchinson and Corcel Blair, who never reached the World Cup finals. "... I am now at a stage where I'm beginning to believe that we're rapidly heading back in that same direction." "It is not about criticising," added Burrell, who claims he is often accused of undermining the current JFF administration when-ever he speaks about the state of Jamaica's football. "But it is very painful to sit and to accept, and to see all the hard work that was put in, being destroyed, and hence, one of the reasons I have decided to make myself available for selection, to help."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

and hence, one of the reasons I have decided to make myself available for selection, to help."
    His hourly coup attempts weren't working, his attempts at getting his sponsor Jack Warner to take away the academy weren't working... so now he is firing away through the media...
    As I said before man could wake up a bit earlier in the morning and go to sleep a bit later at night just to get more time fi hate dem style a man deh...
    SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

Would love to see how he "manages" Bora, since him cuss di present administration for not having the "cohorts" (sic) to manage Bora, allowing him to do his own thing when he should have been on the bench of the age group teams.

You know, I want to see Boxhill crew depart, but I'm not getting a good feeling about Burrell's second coming. I already feel the arrogance and the "my way or the highway" approach. Nuff on this site might not have a problem with that, esp. if it gets us to South Africa, but I can tell you all, the football fraternity will not sit by as they did the first time around and tek bull crap from anybody. Mark my words!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

but I can tell you all, the football fraternity will not sit by as they did the first time around and tek bull crap from anybody. Mark my words!

A nuh Burrell fault that, What are these whimps doing now? They sit in committee meetings and agree with Burrell and come out and grumble instead of making the right decisions.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

On second thought, mi wouldn't swear fi none a dem!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            but I can tell you all, the football fraternity will not sit by as they did the first time around and tek bull crap from anybody. Mark my words!

A nuh Burrell fault that, What are these whimps doing now? They sit in committee meetings and agree with Burrell and come out and grumble instead of making the right decisions.
            Sass: That one is good!
            ...but, it is Boxhill's time now...soooooooo, "What are these whimps doing now"?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Siya View Post
              His hourly coup attempts weren't working, his attempts at getting his sponsor Jack Warner to take away the academy weren't working... so now he is firing away through the media...
              As I said before man could wake up a bit earlier in the morning and go to sleep a bit later at night just to get more time fi hate dem style a man deh...
              The man is doing waht any other candidate would do...he is merely campaigning. Have you ever run fror any sort of office? Form captian, student council rep etc?

But do you or do you not agree with the man's message? Do you not believe that missing out on the gold cup has set us back somewhat?
              President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Would love to see how he "manages" Bora, since him cuss di present administration for not having the "cohorts" (sic) to manage Bora, allowing him to do his own thing when he should have been on the bench of the age group teams.

You know, I want to see Boxhill crew depart, but I'm not getting a good feeling about Burrell's second coming. I already feel the arrogance and the "my way or the highway" approach. Nuff on this site might not have a problem with that, esp. if it gets us to South Africa, but I can tell you all, the football fraternity will not sit by as they did the first time around and tek bull crap from anybody. Mark my words!
                And why is the said football fraternity sitting down and turning a blind eye to the very obvious failings of the current administration?? Mosiah, I detect some sort of hatred for want of a better word in your post. Football fraternity in Jamaica has aboslutely no use, if they did they would have found away to get the current failed administration out of office.

If Boxhill had just a little pinch of the "my way or the highway" attitudfe...osmething tells me our football would be better off for it. Its the stuff good leaders are made of.
                President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Okay, fair enuff. What should the football fraternity be telling the present administration?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                  X