This is my take on the U17 Boyz vs USA:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my take on the U17 Boyz vs USA:

It was good to see the youngsters not playing scared. They had a swagger about themselves even when making the wrong decisions and ill-advised dribbles. Even the penalty kick was cooly and maturely taken.

Still trying to see what Karl keeps harping about. Their effort throughout the match was very good to excellent, from start to finish. They may have had a little more pep in their step once they took the lead, but that is to be expected as they tried to frustrate the Yanks with wild clearances and stout defending.

Throughout the match, rarely did the Americans get a chance to settle. However, the Jamaicans did not play smart in defence. On numerous occasions, 2, 3 or more players bum-rushed 1 American with the ball, leaving unmarked opponents in potentially dangerous positions. I have to agree with the commentators who marveled at how mind-bogglingly ignorant our marking and positioning was in defence.

The other thing we need to work on is our first touch and how we position our bodies when receiving the ball. I would like to think the Coach has worked with them on these things, but they need to work harder, way before Colour even selects them.

The passing was atrocious. Jamaican players tend to just kick the ball in the general direction of their teammates and hope for the best. (Such tendencies are on display at every NPL match.) The technique was poor, invariably forcing the ball to bobble up rather than roll across a difficult pitch. The passes were generally without the correct weight and spin.

I like how Adamolekun played team in attack, at least tried to on a couple occasions. Whatever happened to one-two, give-and-go football?!?! Why can’t our players do more of that simple but proven method to beat opponents?!?

The goalie was brilliant! The way he marshalled his area, came out of the goal to cut off the angles, making foot saves when necessary and simply inspiring confidence in the team - MVP performance!

Fitness, heart, athletic ability and dribbling ability (not skill) were all on display with the Young Boyz. Time for us to start doing more. I think our national coaches get a rough deal having to work with such players. It’s no wonder that the top European clubs will have nothing to do with our players once they pass 19/20 years old.
    Last edited by Mosiah; March 13, 2015, 10:42 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Good observations

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Fitness, heart, athletic ability and dribbling ability (not skill) were all on display with the Young Boyz. Time for us to start doing more. I think our national coaches get a rough deal having to work with such players. It’s no wonder that the top European clubs will have nothing to do with our players once they pass 19/20 years old.
    Yes by time dem reach 18-19 it's generally too late to unlearn the bad habits to qualify for quality European clubs.... suh wi pick up 2nd rate fryas like English Championship, Norway etc. Of course wi give tanks fi dem fryas fi di yute dem still.

Had this U17 group been placed in a structured dev program even at the late 11-13 stage...it would have made a world of difference in their tactical play and technical ability. Combined with the abundant natural gifts and warrior mentality...they (and any other typical JA U17s) would be hard to handle at this level.

This group ah juss typical yaad ballas...aldo certain man waan it look like dem above average fi yard yutes...due to how di 3 fold step up principle werk of course
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
      Yes by time dem reach 18-19 it's generally too late to unlearn the bad habits to qualify for quality European clubs.... suh wi pick up 2nd rate fryas like English Championship, Norway etc. Of course wi give tanks fi dem fryas fi di yute dem still.

Had this U17 group been placed in a structured dev program even at the late 11-13 stage...it would have made a world of difference in their tactical play and technical ability. Combined with the abundant natural gifts and warrior mentality...they (and any other typical JA U17s) would be hard to handle at this level.

This group ah juss typical yaad ballas...aldo certain man waan it look like dem above average fi yard yutes...due to how di 3 fold step up principle werk of course
      Thanks!

It would be scary if we could merge that innate skill, speed and swag with some technique and tactics.

The commentator mentioned that this US team was way ahead of any other US team in the last ten years, or something to that effect. (That was before dem was under dem 1-0! ) Perhaps, but what is certain is, there was no Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasly or Keith Kelly on that field last night!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks!

It would be scary if we could merge that innate skill, speed and swag with some technique and tactics.

The commentator mentioned that this US team was way ahead of any other US team in the last ten years, or something to that effect. (That was before dem was under dem 1-0! ) Perhaps, but what is certain is, there was no Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasly or Keith Kelly on that field last night!
        If wi put it tugedah wid di yute dem earlyearly...BIG SCARY TINGS FI REAL! Nuh Caspah di Frenly Ghost bizniz...ah strait Dracula tuh dem headside

No mi neva si nutten special bout di US yute dem atall eida..But ah di fuss dat mi si dem still
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

It was good to see the youngsters not playing scared. They had a swagger about themselves even when making the wrong decisions and ill-advised dribbles. Even the penalty kick was cooly and maturely taken.

Still trying to see what Karl keeps harping about. Their effort throughout the match was very good to excellent, from start to finish. They may have had a little more pep in their step once they took the lead, but that is to be expected as they tried to frustrate the Yanks with wild clearances and stout defending.

Throughout the match, rarely did the Americans get a chance to settle. However, the Jamaicans did not play smart in defence. On numerous occasions, 2, 3 or more players bum-rushed 1 American with the ball, leaving unmarked opponents in potentially dangerous positions. I have to agree with the commentators who marveled at how mind-boggling ignorant our marking and positioning was in defence.

The other thing we need to work on is our first touch and how we position our bodies when receiving the ball. I would like to think the Coach has worked with them on these things, but they need to work harder, way before Colour even selects them.

The passing was atrocious. Jamaican players tend to just kick the ball in the general direction of their teammates and hope for the best. (Such tendencies are on display at every NPL match.) The technique was poor, invariably forcing the ball to bobble up rather than roll across a difficult pitch. The passes were generally without the correct weight and spin.

I like how Adamolekun played team in attack, at least tried to on a couple occasions. Whatever happened to one-two, give-and-go football?!?! Why can’t our players do more of that simple but proven method to beat opponents?!?

The goalie was brilliant! They way he marshalled his area, came out of the goal to cut off the angles, making foot saves when necessary and simply inspiring confidence in the team - MVP performance!

Good analysis

Comment

Good work.

I thought the field was bumpy and not good though, did you get that impression too?

The development have to come before they are even selected and that is where we are falling down bigtime.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yuh cover everyting neatly. Wi definitely need nuff nuff emphasis pan wi control an pass. Defending dat plague wi right chue, from senior right dung.

Comment

The field was not that great, but somehow the quality passers will get that ball to roll on a bad field. Check Maestro's passes!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks!

In Karl's defence, when you watch a game live, and I guess I'm speaking for myself, I'm usually very critical of the team I'm supporting. But once the game is over and I take another look, some things don't look nearly as bad as they did when I watched it live. Maybe Karl should take another look?

We may have looked slow to close down the Yanks just because we were so way out of position, double and triple teaming the player with the ball, or ball watching generally, not staying aware about who is around us. So by the time the ball gets to the open player we are scrambling to get over to him. But scramble we did, with fleety feet and conviction.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Respect!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not blaming the field for our short comings but if it was our field that was the first thing that would be said by many on the forum.

I think at least two of our players have real potential and Marshall is not very bad at passing from the games I saw, but he was rested. Hopefully we can get a few in good academies.

Maybe I shouldn't even say that because you may go on a tangent on because of the name "Marshall"
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The last Marshall mi try big up flopped royally! So I'm going to low dis one!

Whatever happened to Xavier Marshall? He was supposed to be the next big man for West Indies cricket...sigh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

good question. He is not was not even consistent in the Jamaican team although he seemed to have some talent.

Comment

How to win that play-off match?

Maximizing on our individual talents of each player & as TEAM.

The obstacles:
                            - Opponent(s): Superior technically and tactically.

Overcoming the obstacles: Play numerous "one-twos"...keep the game simple. ...and maintain good structure, even as we get to reachable balls.

A KEY FACTOR: Play the ball! ...forget the opponent when the ball is reachable!

Think on it? The ball needs to be in the possession of the opponent for there to be danger to you or your TEAM of goal against! If you go get the ball you are in control. Your TEAM is in control. So go get reachable balls. There is no fear in doing that. Attack the ball!

There is a huge difference between attacking the ball and attacking the man. Attacking the ball means these occur:
                            - The ball is possessed or closed down.
                            Both are good things. ...as it results greater ball possession. You have to have that ball to score goals!!! ...and possession is also a defensive ploy...as it also prevents opponent from mounting an attack.

Attacking the man = fouls!
                            ...and we all know the various outcomes of "giving fouls".

You are all smart!/All our players are smart! ...you know when it is necessary to "give a foul". Those occasions are rare!

Consistent attacking of the ball levels the playing field...an as in our 2nd half against the US, often gives...results in GREAT ADVANTAGE! ...it narrows difference in technical and tactical skills.

- Sharing the ball!
                            On attack it prevents opponents to retain defensive shaped...making efforts to stop each player and numbers attacking as defenders are constantly being moved and are reacting after the ball has been passed/slipped to each new attacking TEAM-mate.

SHARE the ball a lot! Use TEAM-mates a lot! Play one-twos a lot!

- Use of energy:
                            You are quick! ...fast! Some of you have familiarity with track. There is a way to manage coverage of ground at optimum rate for the duration of match. Close down at speed/quickly...back up = support on attack and defense when not in "the field of play" by "coasting" = that "stride out" after the initial explosive burst to get into position = "floating".

In that floating phase lowered energy is being burnt...and consequently reserves of energy is there to be used when vitally necessary.

Under-hit passes: Quick burst assist you in getting to under-hit balls. Each individual player must make a mental note to self not to allow an opponent to run by and get to ball nearer to you than to him. That happened much too often in the match against the USA. (Take a look at the 42nd minute in that match and examine how the all was lost...and the result of that loss. THAT BALL WAS OURS! No blame to the player who did not go get that ball...unless he does the same thing in our coming match. No blame to any other player who did same in that USA match or any other time previously unless you do that same thing in this our coming match!)

btw - Note that the above is merely making sure each of us/each of you...OUR TEAM is GETTING TO THE BALL FIRST!

Use the ball early and often...
                            The best way to surprise the opponent is by keeping that ball moving. 99+% of the time...the opponent is then reacting to an action... If the opponent is reacting most often, not all the time (but that is for another time), it means HE IS LATE...TOO LATE to stop your act!!!

Finally: When you burst into the opponent's penalty-area...pass on goal=shoot. Just thing on it the straight-line 90 degrees measurement from goal-line to the edge of the penalty-area is 18 yards.

Therefore once you are traveling at relatively slow speed...a step inside the penalty-area you are now about 5 yards in...that is, 13 yards from gaol!

How far away is the penalty-spot from the goal-line?
                            You got it 12 yards from the goal-line.

What does it tell about being a step inside the penalty-area when on attack?
                            You are correct - YOU ARE WITHIN PENALTY SHOOTING RANGE! Most penalties result in goals!

...the consider this is a goalkeeper ever on his goal-line when an attacker bursts into the area?
                            Again you are correct - 99.99999+% of the time...NO!

How far would the 'striker' then be from the goal-keeper?
                            Let us say the 'keeper advances 6 yards into play from his goal-line...YES???
                            YES!!!

Hey I am almost 70 years old and like that distance that would separate me from such a goalkeeper. You are 17 or thereabouts!!! Take the pass on goal=Take the shot!!! The odds on scoring is overwhelmingly in your favour!!!

...now think on being outside of the area...and relative distance away from beating ONE MAN = That LAST DEFENDER that stands in the way of a goal for you and your TEAM = that 'keeper? If your thinking...rational thinking...says take the shot/pass on goal...TAKE THE SHOT/MAKE THAT PASS ON GOAL!!!

You are all smart...and YOUNG and FEARLESS!
                            Go to it! FULL SMART 100 EFFORT for ENTIRE MATCH!!!

FORWARD!
                            Last edited by Karl; March 13, 2015, 11:27 AM.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X