• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch it, 'Bora'! Winning is important

Watch it, 'Bora'! Winning is important
    published: Sunday | June 10, 2007

Tony Becca, Contributor
    JAMAICA LOST Tuesday night's friendly international against Chile at the National Stadium an it was only by one goal, the defeat was a disappointment to many Jamaicans.

Especially so to those who did not agree with a number of the players selected and the fact that technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic had said before the match that winning it was not important.

The Reggae Boyz were missing a number of their leading players who ply their trade in the United Kingdom and, according to the people, they should have been invited.
    According to Milutinovic, however, he did not need them, their participation was not important at this time, he deliberately did not select the best team for the match and, when the time comes, when it is time to seek qualification for the World Cup, he will do just that.

According to Milutinovic, that is the time to win, that is the time to put your best foot forward and, in many respects, he is right.

Looking for talent
    Since his arrival here, Milutinovic has been spending his time looking around. He has been looking for talent, he has pencilled in some names, in an effort to be fair, he must offer them the opportunity to express themselves and what better stage for that than against a foreign team - and a good one at that.

Apart from the fact that the local-based players must be given an opportunity to expose and to develop their skills, Milutinovic made a good point when he asked the question: "Who are we going to use when the overseas-based players can't come?"
    Remembering the attitude of some overseas-based players in the past, remembering the many times many of them were invited and, for whatever reason, did not accept or simply did not turn up, that is a good question.

Apart from exposing the local-based players in an effort to develop their skills, Milutinovic must be prepared.

On top of that, and definitely as far as I am concerned, Milutinovic's success as the technical director will not only be judged on whether Jamaica qualify for the next World Cup tournament, but on his impact on local football.

In other words, even if we do qualify, he will be judged on how many local-based players at the time he took over the job were good enough to get into the team.

Interesting opinion
    What is really interesting, however, is that in Milutinovic's opinion, winning at this stage is not important.

According to the man from Serbia, there is a time for building and for preparation, there is a time for winning in an effort to qualify, and as a man who is being paid a lot of money for one thing and one thing only - to get Jamaica qualified for the World Cup in South Africa, he may be right.In fact, on that basis, he is right, and very right at that.

As right as he may be, however, Milutinovic is now in Jamaica, he is dealing with Jamaicans; Jamaicans like winning. If he hopes to serve out his contract, if he hopes to maintain the support of his employers, if he hopes to get enough money and enough public support as far as crowds at matches are concerned to help him qualify the Reggae Boyz for South Africa, preparation or not, exposure or not, he had better start winning.

Jamaican people love to win. If their team is winning, they come out in thousands to support them, they dress from head to toe in the colours, they shout, theysing and they dance, and apart from the people paying what is charged at the gates to see their champions in action, money, from all corners, from every corner, comes flooding into the kitty.

When that does not happen, however, when their team loses and continues to lose, they curse and they quarrel, they stay away in disgust, the stands become empty and with the absent people goes the financial support.

Milutinovic may be right. Winning at this stage of the campaign may not be important. To the people, however, to those who control the money, winning is important and if things do not change quickly, he will soon find that out.
    Last edited by Tilla; June 10, 2007, 06:39 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Tony Becca should write about Cricket! Bora is right you dont need to win now, you need to build winners now! The coach is doing the right thing.

Comment

Winning is important. Always is important! But that doesn't mean that you should try to win at all cost.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How do you judge your strenght if you loose all the time.

You need fi win if is even now and then.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And we are losing the ones we expect to win. Twice we have outplayed our opponents without winning, isn't not winning THE problem?
          Self-serving argument by Bora.

Blessed

Comment

Well, you should always try to win, even if the team is experimental. What would be the point trying out new people if you not trying to win with them? Pointless! Winning is always important. ALWAYS!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You always try to win but its not always important that you win. Off course you want to win but you cant measure your success only by winning. I think if this is too difficult to understant then we really are not there yet when we talk of development. It was important to win in the Gold cup qualification and Wc but now its about Identifying your talent, developing that talent and creating a wide player pool and then selecting the best team. Thats it. What would we have gained if we had Micah hyde and damion francis and Jason Euel and Claude in the squad an we beat Chile, would we be any close to qualifying for South Africa? I say NO! the fact that we expanded the pool we are closer! would I have like to win yes but I understand the difference of getting a favourable outcome and building winners.

Comment

Di man mek 8 changes in the second half...

Hello...him ah duh what him haffi duh.. scoreline is nice but not THE ISSUE right now..

Comment

True!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

OJ even the best teams lose confidence if them lose too much. We need to win even one and two games.

You ever seen good side get use to losing and then struggle to find form. I support development and wining is not everything but wining one in a while boost confidence. Recently, before Bora we have been on a downward slide and if you listen to West Indies cricket they have been improving since 2 years ago and them still can't beat nobody.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Bora, the new broom knows how best to sweep us into Word Cup 2010 but Becca knows how things run in the Jamaican corner.

Bora better develop a double strategy 1) Win the practive games at home all cost (even is that means starting 10 UB 40) and please the crowd 2) Then take the local boys and play then in the overseas matches. Explain the stratgy to the people and the stadium will be fill for the local matches and the money will start flowing in...otherwise Bora is history.
                      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Could not have said it better myself. I know some will jump on my signature to say my position is contridictory. I will let my position known. You play to win, but there are times when you have to experiment and winning is not at the top of the list of priority. The coach want to expose new players and continue to season others. He is looking to see how the players are adapting to the tactics and strategies he is employing.

Bora has the luxery of a few months to experiment where he does not have to call the more established players. If come closer to the start of qualifying then we see him still continu to not call our more established players to include them in the squad, then I will be concerned.

You do not play a match to win and make eight changes in the second half.
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                          You always try to win but its not always important that you win. Off course you want to win but you cant measure your success only by winning. I think if this is too difficult to understant then we really are not there yet when we talk of development. It was important to win in the Gold cup qualification and Wc but now its about Identifying your talent, developing that talent and creating a wide player pool and then selecting the best team. Thats it. What would we have gained if we had Micah hyde and damion francis and Jason Euel and Claude in the squad an we beat Chile, would we be any close to qualifying for South Africa? I say NO! the fact that we expanded the pool we are closer! would I have like to win yes but I understand the difference of getting a favourable outcome and building winners.
                          Time takes care of these things!

We'll all see if he takes us to South Africa...and, if he gets us there whether or not his team - (No "we" here!) - makes a fool of itself or at the very least do as Ghana did at World Cup 2006!

If we arrive at the World Cup and create waves...I'll have to Respek wud bi due!

...but, if we arrive and perform as did Simoes' team then no plaudits for only marking time...been there, done that

Simoes' like performance in 1998! That's a hell of a long time ago! Simoes' type build-up should be improved on...not just copied!
                          Last edited by Karl; June 12, 2007, 12:41 AM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            OJ even the best teams lose confidence if them lose too much. We need to win even one and two games.

You ever seen good side get use to losing and then struggle to find form. I support development and wining is not everything but wining one in a while boost confidence. Recently, before Bora we have been on a downward slide and if you listen to West Indies cricket they have been improving since 2 years ago and them still can't beat nobody.
                            Agreed, but if you set the expectation. I understand you want to win but at this point I think the TD is on the right track. I dont think you can do anything different that would bear fruit. Lets look at the U17s they beat mexico and set a expectation but really they were not ready technically or tactically for the tournament. Maybe if they played more games against different opposition they would have understood concepts around the speed of play, transition et al and do better. That one wind against mexico trick them and as some would say its was fools gold.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                              Lets look at the U17s they beat mexico and set a expectation but really they were not ready technically or tactically for the tournament. Maybe if they played more games against different opposition they would have understood concepts around the speed of play, transition et al and do better. That one wind against mexico trick them and as some would say its was fools gold.
                              So what do you say about using your above thought at preparing the National senior TEAM?

i) Selecting your best TEAM!
                              ii) Play games many international games - while having a look at players outside of the TEAM and inserting deserving ones...

...as they (the deserving ones) overtake in performance some you may have started with.

Poor us: Bora should have started our preparations...as far as I am concerned he has not! As he does not yet have a TEAM...best TEAM...to make stronger by doing what you suggested!
                              Last edited by Karl; June 12, 2007, 03:02 PM.
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X