After the round of 16 draw for the UCL, some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the round of 16 draw for the UCL, some

pundits held the view that Arsenal got the best draw. Did Arsenal underestimate Monaco?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

It is worth looking at the opportunities both TEAMs had!

First the victor's goals:
    - 1st - Long range shot...great force/velocity then deflection!

- 2nd - Arsenal wholly committed to attack then ball lost by Sanchez...counter and goal.

- 3rd - Arsenal again wholly committed to attack, The Ox loses the ball, *he is just about our fastest player was then out run on Monaco's 1 man counter - GOAL!

-------

My GUNNERS missed on 7 opportunities from 9 yards or less from the goalkeeper!
    - 3 by Giroud

- 2 by Sanchez

- 1 by Walcott and on the same play (a rebound on Walcott's shot) 1 by Welbeck!!!

---

On balance Arsenal got more...a lot more great scoring chances than Monaco!

If my GUNNERS tighten up on defense - cut down on the 'give-aways', organize against the counter and remove/drop the slow Mertesacker and replace him with a faster defender - and play that tiny bit better (e.g. Sanchez and others do not have passes deflected or ball lost by failing to ape Monaco's simple play/easy most often quick passing that the 'little difference' then a handsome win in the return match could be gained (if the chances are in same locations deep in Monaco's penalty-area and are of similar nature).

*Who are the mad fanz who claim speed across ground is over-rated?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl, I didn't see the game ... just the goals. I'm surprised Berbatov didn't hold up a shirt with the quote, ".. remember me?"
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

He is still a wonderful player. Last year he and Boney were on my wish list.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The man asked "did arsenal underestimate Monaco." After all of that the least you could do is answer the question.

Yes OR no! What the hell is wrong with you?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Oh berbatov is fast...VERY FAST!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes he is. Deceptively fast because of languid playing style. On another note, Mertesacker is embarrassingly slow as drying paint. Even giraffe legs Peter Crouch is faster than him.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Way too fast for the eyes,I must have blinked when he made tackles..
                He is very dangerous in coverting half chances though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  Yes he is. Deceptively fast because of languid playing style. On another note, Mertesacker is embarrassingly slow as drying paint. Even giraffe legs Peter Crouch is faster than him.
                  ... as a central defender, speed have less to do with it as positioning and reading the game makes it much easier. Was Franco Baresi a speedy player? Is John Terry (spit spit) a quick player?

Comment

Tge great Rio Ferdinand too.

Comment

durrent "tatty" brown was no speed demon either.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        ... as a central defender, speed have less to do with it as positioning and reading the game makes it much easier. (spit spit) a quick player?

Quite true, that's why Mertesacker should never be anywhere near the half line and a few times he was up inna Monaco's half like seh him a midfielder. It was comical to watch him tearing back at snail's pace when Monaco got the breakaway.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                          First the victor's goals:
                          - 1st - Long range shot...great force/velocity then deflection!

- 2nd - Arsenal wholly committed to attack then ball lost by Sanchez...counter and goal.

- 3rd - Arsenal again wholly committed to attack, The Ox loses the ball, *he is just about our fastest player was then out run on Monaco's 1 man counter - GOAL!

-------

My GUNNERS missed on 7 opportunities from 9 yards or less from the goalkeeper!
                          - 3 by Giroud

- 2 by Sanchez

- 1 by Walcott and on the same play (a rebound on Walcott's shot) 1 by Welbeck!!!

---

On balance Arsenal got more...a lot more great scoring chances than Monaco!

If my GUNNERS tighten up on defense - cut down on the 'give-aways', organize against the counter and remove/drop the slow Mertesacker and replace him with a faster defender - and play that tiny bit better (e.g. Sanchez and others do not have passes deflected or ball lost by failing to ape Monaco's simple play/easy most often quick passing that the 'little difference' then a handsome win in the return match could be gained (if the chances are in same locations deep in Monaco's penalty-area and are of similar nature).

*Who are the mad fanz who claim speed across ground is over-rated?
                          Agreed, I also think it is time to retire Mr Mertersacker he has been terrible this season. Time for Gabriel

Comment

Working...
                          X