• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reid heads Jamaica Gold Cup team

Reid heads Jamaica Gold Cup team
    published: Tuesday | June 5, 2007

Horace Reid

Horace Reid has been reappointed by the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Associations of Football (CONCACAF) to serve as a general co-ordinator for the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup, scheduled to kick off in the United States on Wednesday.

According to a release Reid, the former general secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), has been assigned the Houston venue (Reliant Stadium).

The Jamaican will serve as one of five general co-ordinators at the premier CONCACAF tournament, the other four being Rafael Tinoco (Guatemala), who will head the Miami Venue; Hugo Salcedo (USA) for Los Angeles, Joe Machnik (USA) in New York and Kevan Pipe (Canada), who will work in the Boston and Chicago venues.

Organised matches
    The General Co-ordinator is CONCACAF's official representative in the venue and is in charge of the entire venue administration. He is responsible for ensuring that every match is perfectly organised. These duties include, but are not limited to, marketing/commercial-related matters, accommodation for teams and officials, transportation, security, stadium and training venues, VIP protocols, medical and media protocols, as well as accreditation and pre-game team co-ordination meetings.

To assist the General Co-ordinator, each venue is also assigned a CONCACAF media officer, a member of the Technical Study Group (TSG) and a CONCACAF Marketing Venue Manager and two administrative assistants.

Appointments
    Apart from Reid, three Jamaican match officials have also been appointed to officiate at the 2007 Gold Cup. They are FIFA referee, Courtney Campbell, and assistant FIFA referees Anthony Garwood and Ricardo Morgan. Campbell will be joined on the referees list by Guyana's Carlos Batres and Lee Davis and Neal Brizan of Trinidad & Tobago.

Michael Ragoonath of Trinidad & Tobago will join Garwood and Morgan as assistant referees. Campbell, who will be officiating in his biggest tournament to date, said he was happy to be among the officials, especially since Jamaica's Reggae Boyz would not be participating.
    "I feel very elated knowing that I will be representing Jamaica in that tournament," he said.
    "To date, this is my biggest tournament and I am very anxious and awaiting this venture. I hope to perform at the highest level," said Campbell, who started refereeing in 2000.

Campbell, who was appointed to the FIFA list in 2004, has officiated in the CAC Games, the Digicel Cup, and Under-20 World Cup qualifying matches.

Twelve CONCACAF teams, equally divided into three groups of four, will participate in the 2007 Gold Cup between June 6 to 24. They are Group A - Costa Rica, Haiti, Canada and Guadeloupe; Group B - USA, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala and El Salvador; Group C - Mexico, Panama, Honduras and Cuba.

The USA are the defending champions, having won the 2005 finals on penalty kicks against Panama. The 2007 finals is scheduled for Chicago (Soldier Field Stadium) on Sunday, June 24.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X