• Show
Clear All

• US Soccer launches Development Academy

From the U.S. Soccer Communications Center:

U.S. SOCCER LAUNCHES DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY
    TO EXPAND OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYERS NATIONWIDE

Grassroots Development Academy Will Provide Improved Soccer Environment
    for Thousands of Players, Coaches & Referees from Coast-to-Coast

CHICAGO (June 4, 2007) – In a move designed to improve the development environment for players throughout the country, the U.S. Soccer Federation has taken the initiative in formalizing a nationwide development academy slated to begin in the fall of 2007. The U.S. Soccer Development Academy will begin with up to 80 elite youth soccer clubs from around the country being selected to join the program.

Created to provide players with the best possible opportunity to develop, the U.S. Soccer Development Academy is being initiated after a comprehensive review of player development systems in the United States and around the world.

Player Development Academy Links
    Quote Sheet on Development Academy
    Q & A with U.S. U-17 MNT head coach John Hackworth
    Academy Overview (.pdf - 1 page)
    Program Technical Specifications (.pdf - 1 page)
    Academy Presentation (.pdf - 24 pages)
    Academy Application (.pdf - 10 pages)

Each Development Academy club will not only serve as a home for many of the nation’s top players, but also as a destination point within their community for shared learning and experience. One of the major advantages of the program will have players receiving integrated oversight from both youth club coaches and U.S. Soccer coaches, while training in their home environment. In turn, the Development Academy will provide an improved scouting environment for college, professional and U.S. National Team coaches.

“After completing an extensive review and discussion across the country, we feel that it is the right time for U.S. Soccer to lead a change in the sport at the youth level,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “We need to shift the focus of our young elite players from an ‘overburdened, game emphasis’ model to a ‘meaningful training and competition’ model. This will ultimately lead to more success and will allow players to develop to their full potential.”

To begin that process, U.S. Soccer is using the Development Academy to create a wide-reaching movement within the grassroots soccer environment that will educate parents, coaches and players on the value of expanding national player development directly to the clubs. Using the current U.S. Under-17 Residency Program as a model, the youth clubs chosen to be part of the Development Academy will increase the amount of time spent on meaningful training while also increasing the quality of their matches.

"It's a concept that youth soccer in this country desperately needs and our goal is to truly shift the focus towards increasing player development,” said U.S. Soccer’s Under-17 National Team head coach John Hackworth. “I think it will create a day-to-day training environment that will allow players the opportunity to develop to the best of their ability. Right now we have only 40 players in that type of environment (at the U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla.), but this Academy will allow us to put thousands of elite players in a similar environment, which will help us raise the entire level across the nation."

With an emphasis on creating a superior everyday training environment, teams in the Development Academy will have a clean slate for a calendar and will be required to train a minimum of three times a week, eliminating the growing trend of clubs playing an excessive quantity of games in lieu of consistent training patterns. To maintain an emphasis on training, Development Academy teams will compete against other teams in the program and will not play in any other leagues, tournaments or State Cup competitions, and players will only be allowed to compete on their designated Academy team (with exceptions for high school soccer and national team duty).

Clubs that are not part of U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy will continue to play in traditional youth soccer competitions, with the longtime Olympic Development Program also continuing unimpeded. With Development Academy players no longer being seen at ODP events, those spots will now be open for additional players to be seen at an elite level.

"I'm very excited about the establishment of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Program,” said U.S. Men’s National Team Head Coach Bob Bradley. “It is very important for U.S. Soccer to work with our top clubs to ensure that our best young players are constantly being challenged in an environment that best promotes player development. With a tremendous amount of reach, this program will help focus training sessions and matches on the areas that are critical to elevating our young players' ability to compete at the elite levels of the sport."

The Development Academy will be divided into regions and will play home and away matches against other Academy teams across a complete season. Each Development Academy region will be comprised of up to 15-20 teams based on geographic proximity, with the winner of each region participating in the annual Academy Finals at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. The Academy clubs will be comprised of Under-16 and Under-18 age groups, with a minimum of 22 players on a roster. Younger players in the Academy system will also be allowed to be play “up” within their club.

Clubs will have the opportunity to apply for membership in the Academy program beginning June 1, and teams will be selected by U.S. Soccer’s National Team coaches. U.S. Soccer’s coaches will evaluate prospective clubs on a number of criteria, including a club’s history of elite youth player development and past success in elite competitions.

"The Academy is a comprehensive approach to help develop some of the top players across the nation, but it is also designed to be a working model for the grassroots level,” said U.S. Soccer Director of Coaching Education & Youth Development Bob Jenkins. “All the clubs involved will be moving in the same direction giving us a similar approach to player development, and then these clubs will act almost like satellites out in the country helping to spread the message out to the clubs around them."

The Academy will also serve as a better coaching development platform, with each participating club receiving two invitations to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Best Practices seminars. The development platform for U.S. Soccer referees will also be enhanced in the program, with U.S. Soccer assigning referees to all Academy matches.

With the framework of the boys Development Academy serving as a starting point for discussion, a similar initiative to enhance the development of female players will also be explored.

U.S. SOCCER DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY – STRUCTURE

Objective: The focus of the Academy is on player development and providing players with the best possible opportunity to develop to the highest level they are capable of achieving

Standards: A minimum requirement of three training sessions and one rest day per week

Teams: Up to 80 of the top youth soccer clubs in the U.S.

Selection: Clubs will be selected by U.S. Soccer coaches

Age Groups: U-16 & U-18 teams (minimum roster of 22 players); providing opportunities for more than 2,000 players

Competition Format: Divided into regions with each team playing between 30 and 38 home and away matches during an eight-month season.

Each region will be comprised of approximately 15-20 teams based on geographic proximity. The winner of each region will play in the Academy Finals at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

Last edited by Karl; June 4, 2007, 11:14 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Shatta is going to read this and then burst into tears.
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Comment

good idea. let see how the clubs buy in to it. I think they will see some opposition

Comment

Their idea of developing players is just to
        churn out robots. One of my players, who plays for college told me playing it's different the coach just wants her to stay up in forward (granted this player was my defensive mid) and play a define role. With me players were encouraged to express themselves, left could interchange with right (in mid and forward) the only thing I was against is when my star midfielder would try to run the flanks, I would scream because I know just didn't have the speed. I would say stay in the middle of the field thats where you rule, hold the ball and when you get the feel to release you release (a death man) yes my team played the passing game and on good day you can't distinguish them from Brasil. I went upstate and an italian coach congratulated me saying they like to play with the ball, it's joy to see them play (I had to play with nine that day). For me the greatest moment as a coach is to see a player that was nothing (could not kick the ball) dribble and mesmermised the field , spraying passes here and there. I am totally responsible for this player, good ball control (hey taught the art of juggling) excellent passing ability (yes because I said before you could dribble you must know how to pass) and shoots with both feet, reading the game was coming but I stopped coaching. I just hate to see robotic football it detracts from the beautiful sport. Go play chess, tennis or something else.

Comment

Hmm. How are those grapes tasting right about now?

Pretty sour, it seems.
          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
          - Xavi

Comment

The structure is still good.

Comment

Working...
            X