Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'We need more quality pitches'

'We need more quality pitches'
    Brancourt man emphasises need for proper facilities BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, June 03, 2007

SITTING not far from a field in Clarendon Park where papayas once grew is one of the country's most in-demand football grounds, renowned for its level surface and lush grass.
    Brancourt Sports Complex has in the last few years become the home ground of daCosta Cup champions Glenmuir High and South Central Confederation winners Sporting Central Academy.
    It's also sometimes the training ground for national football teams and has hosted friendly matches as well as local and school competitions.
    "Good quality fields, good quality game," Complex boss and Sporting Central Academy team manager Brandon Murray told the Sunday Observer.
    Brancourt Sports Complex boss Brandon Murray (right) speaks with Al Hamilton at Brancourt while John Barnes looks on.
    Sporting are one of four teams battling for a spot in next season's Wray and Nephew National Premier League.
    Murray developed Brancourt as a field for a six-a-side competition in the 1990s after returning to Jamaica from the United States where he studied history while on a football scholarship at Erskine College in South Carolina.
    "What I saw there (in the US) was that they were well equipped in terms of facilities; they had good playing surfaces, and lights - it was just a different experience," Murray said of how his desire to develop Brancourt came about.
    "Going to the United States and seeing all these nice facilities that people play on and... coming back here and seeing it... I said to myself, 'how am I going to give back to my country and help to solve this problem'. I wanted to be able to give back something to my community and now it has grown and I'm giving back to other communities," Murray added.
    He believes poor pitches is one of the problems affecting the sport in Jamaica.
    "It's like we're entertaining our primitive status in terms of field development. We're not realising that in order for us to compete on the international stage, we have to get accustomed to conditions at the highest level," Murray said.
    He referred to an AFP report published in last Friday's Observer in which Brazil coach Dunga expressed concern that Wembley's sub-standard pitch could spoil his team's clash with England later that day.
    The game, which ended 1-1, was the first senior international played at the renovated home of English football. The stadium had previously hosted eight matches - including the FA Cup final between Manchester United and Chelsea - in a two-month period
    "At the highest level teams aim at playing one- and two-touch football... it's so fast it requires high luvel of organisation, fitness, skill and awareness and you cannot play that kind of game on a surface that is inferior," Murray explained.
    "When players see a good surface it's like heaven for them because they can dribble properly, pass the ball and control properly."
    Though Murray has never had any formal training in field preparation, he is from a farming background and years of farm experience, observation and personal practical work and research led him to develop his own system for preparing fields.
    "I grew up on a farm from I was 10, so I've seen what it's like to prepare land. I know the importance of irrigation and nutrition, so it wouldn't be hard for me to apply that knowledge because it's very similar," he said.
    Murray, who has since been certified by the HEART Trust/NTA and the National Contracts Commission, discussed the key elements involved in renovating and maintaining a proper field.
    "Level surface. If the surface is bumpy you cannot play good quality football. Coverage, because grass gives the field cushion and drainage, which is important because if it rains, the water needs to be able to run-off properly."
    He also stressed the importance of water as pitches need to be properly irrigated for the grass to maintain its lushness.
    "Everybody needs to understand that you can't have a good field with an even, smooth, grassy surface if you don't have water," he told the Sunday Observer last year.
    Murray was instrumental in the 2006 resurfacing of the St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) football field, which cost $3 million and four months to complete.
    "This is now the best field in the parish...," referee Dwight Royal told the Sunday Observer following the first daCosta Cup match played there after it re-opened last September.
    Murray, through contracts with the Sports Development Foundation (SDF), has since done work at Clembhard's Park in St Mary, Clarendon College and the UDC field in Montego Bay.
    He has also helped renovate the Snow Hill and Boundbrook fields in Portland, as well as Bray's River and Munro College in St Elizabeth, Carder Park in Portland, Winchester Park at St George's College, and the UWI Bowl.
    He is currently renovating the Ferdie Neita Park in St Catherine, which is home ground of Naggo Head and Portmore United.
    "You'll see a different Ferdie Neita Park for September," Murray promised.
    Murray said the key is to have more football pitches so that there could be time for each field to be rested and recover.
    "In Jamaica we need to apply the principles that are going to ensure the longevity... we need more playing surfaces so we can have more reservation," he said.
    "The more reserve venues that you have, the better it will be for match purposes... because they (players) would be able to exhibit a high level of skill on the better surfaces."
    "Reservation, preservation, rotation, recovery," Murray emphasised.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Good article..what ever happened to the Munro field?..last time I saw it...it wasn't there yet....
    Murray is smooth..mentioning Dunga and Wembley along with locall pitches....whoee....

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
      Good article..what ever happened to the Munro field?..last time I saw it...it wasn't there yet....
      Murray is smooth..mentioning Dunga and Wembley along with locall pitches....whoee....
      Right in line with you on the article and the Munro fields.

...now the Munro fields is 'another matter'! In August last I was there watching Herbert Morrison and Munro footballers run around on an untended cow pasture. How the managers at Munro managed to ruin the A & B fields I cannot understand. That destuction of the fields must have been hard work.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I hope his knowledge is retained by the proper authorities.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Murray had started work on the Munro fields, but without the support of the headmaster, the project failed. Maintenance is important and Brandon could not be up there 24-7 to water the fields and do other maitenance stuff.

But cow pasture, Karl? That's a little rough.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

As good a job as he is doing, I still think he needs to take his craft to another level.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hopefully Mosiah will explaine this superiority complex from this bredda Murray and his crew from Clarendon. I heard the coach 'Sensi' Williams on a radio show one night comparing the Brancourt pitch with the one at Old Trafford...I was a bit puzzled until I heard him again one day explaining how the team got its name and he mentioned they borrowed the Sporting "from Sporting Lisbon of Spain" then I realised he is a damn dunce.
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Bwoy Sickko, yuh rough sah. Maybe he is just geographically confused. As the coach though, you should at least know the origins of the team's name.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

heheheheheeeeee
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Come on, Sickko. How many of us know that Sporting Lisbon is not in Spain? They both start with "Sp" afterall!

Hey, some of us thought that Leyton Orient was a Chinese team and you don't hear me calling HL dunce!

Anyway, what superiority complex yuh talking bout? I fully side with Sporting Central for complaining about some of the fields they have to play on. The other day they lost 3-0 to Granville on one of the worst pitches I have seen in years!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Stating the obvious. No?

Comment

Not sure if I am to take your post serious or not but the firts part was funny as hell...This is not the first time Murray has run to the media, even the JFF people tired of him as he tries to teach the rest of us how real football is played or managed.

Laughable seeing he played for some pitiful Munro teams and was never good enough to play serious club football, typical rich boy who can buy a team because he cant play that well and starts acting like he is God -sent to save the sport in Jamaica.

If you saw my column last Thursday, I pointed out that the field was indeed in a bad state but the referee and the match commissioner said it can be played on and so they did...I did not recall Granville running on the dry grassy spots and leaving Sporting to run in the mini-ponds that were created after very heavy rains fell earlier in the day.

Fact is both teams played on the ame field and Granville adopted better, instead of trying to dribble in the mud and water they scooped and passed- all three goals were long range and by the way Sporting wa snot complianing at half time when it was 1-1 and they had the better of the game.

Another fact was the coaching staff who thinks their turf is equal to that at Old Trafford, made bad changes- first they took off Learmond who was a thorn in the Granville side- even the Granville fans were asking to have their photos taken with him while he was on the side lines.

The Granville team had an outstanding afternoon especially in the sceond half where they rendered Ford almost invisible and in one sequence blocked him three times with three different defenders rotating on and off.

But Monday afternoon we have Brandon squealing to the media about how they had to play on substandard pitches and even questioning the qualification of the match commissioner....rude and out of order.

BTW, if they qualify for the NPL as I think they will..Brandon will get to see some talent upfront and they wont be on his bench..they wont stay up..their only quality player Learmond goes back to school and those they have now are at least three seasons away from being quality enough for the NPL.
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Thats is too funny.. Sorting lisbon of Spain.. Ah boy....

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                            Not sure if I am to take your post serious or not but the firts part was funny as hell...This is not the first time Murray has run to the media, even the JFF people tired of him as he tries to teach the rest of us how real football is played or managed.

Laughable seeing he played for some pitiful Munro teams and was never good enough to play serious club football, typical rich boy who can buy a team because he cant play that well and starts acting like he is God -sent to save the sport in Jamaica.

If you saw my column last Thursday, I pointed out that the field was indeed in a bad state but the referee and the match commissioner said it can be played on and so they did...I did not recall Granville running on the dry grassy spots and leaving Sporting to run in the mini-ponds that were created after very heavy rains fell earlier in the day.

Fact is both teams played on the ame field and Granville adopted better, instead of trying to dribble in the mud and water they scooped and passed- all three goals were long range and by the way Sporting wa snot complianing at half time when it was 1-1 and they had the better of the game.

Another fact was the coaching staff who thinks their turf is equal to that at Old Trafford, made bad changes- first they took off Learmond who was a thorn in the Granville side- even the Granville fans were asking to have their photos taken with him while he was on the side lines.

The Granville team had an outstanding afternoon especially in the sceond half where they rendered Ford almost invisible and in one sequence blocked him three times with three different defenders rotating on and off.

But Monday afternoon we have Brandon squealing to the media about how they had to play on substandard pitches and even questioning the qualification of the match commissioner....rude and out of order.

BTW, if they qualify for the NPL as I think they will..Brandon will get to see some talent upfront and they wont be on his bench..they wont stay up..their only quality player Learmond goes back to school and those they have now are at least three seasons away from being quality enough for the NPL.
                            Sickko, a few things:

Munro's players don't usually look to play club football. I think you know why. Brandon and his brother had more than enuff talent to play club football in Jamaica. By far! They both were on the national U-17 so they had some use.

The fact that they both play on the same field does not mean that it is a level playing field, regardless of the half-time score. Same way that D-Cup final in 2000 should never have been played on that swimming pool called Jarrett Park. Even when dry, Jarrett Park is the pits!

The fact that the referee and the match commissioner said the game could go on does not make their judgment correct. We are used to substandard fields and to not play this game would have caused a small riot, so they went for bad football instead of doing the right thing (i.e. causing a small riot ).

Sickko, I have no problem questioning the qualifications or the abilities of our football officials. Most of them suck!!! Then again, who am I to say so? Maybe it's a Munro thing. Wi tink wi bettah dan everybody else.

If the JFF has been so awful for most of us in the local football world, why is it strange when anybody takes them on for anything? The fact that Brandon gets into heated arguments with them all the time might mean that he gets support from other people in local football. Or is it a case where no one likes Brandon because him chat too much and him white (or at least not black) and him have money?

I do hope that Sporting Central makes it to the NPL, and stays there for years! Yes, because Brandon is a Munro Old Boy, and because they have taken the time to invest in a half-decent playing surface, and because Brandon is committed to raising the level of our infrastructure. And I don't care if he is getting richer while doing so.

And of course he can compare his field to Old Trafford, because that is how it appears when put up against 99% of the fields around Jamaica.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post

What does this diatribe have to do with the article which I believe is about the need for proper pitches and certain efforts to improve such ?

'Typical Rich boy'

You remind me of certain market women.. except that market women have more use..

I hope yuh weight training helping you with all that useless baggage yuh carrying around...

Comment

Working...
                              X