Clear All

• Terry determined to save McClaren

Terry determined to save McClaren

Terry (left) will lead out England against Brazil and Estonia

England v Brazil (Fri 1 June)
    Live on BBC ONE from 1930 BST & Radio Five Live

Estonia v England (Wed 6 June)
    Live on Sky Sports and BBC Radio Five Live, highlights on BBC ONE

England skipper John Terry has admitted coach Steve McClaren could lose his job if they lose in Estonia.

England face Brazil in a friendly on Friday before a must-win Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia five days later.

"Will there be a question mark over him if England lose? Possibly. But we are not thinking like that," Terry said.
    "We need to go there and get a win. It is as simple as that. We are fully behind the manager and we are going to do our best to keep him in his job."

Interview: England captain John Terry
    Interview: England striker Michael Owen

England head to Estonia for Wednesday's game in fourth place in Group E and knowing only a win will do after some disappointing results.

Terry added: "We need to go there and perform. The Brazil game is a chance for us to get our sharpness back and make sure we are ready for the game on Wednesday."

Terry is pleased to have David Beckham - the player he replaced as skipper after the World Cup last summer - back in the squad.
    He said: "It is great to have him back. We all know his quality and he has brought that into training and we look forward to seeing him training.

"It is not strange for me. We are all important players in the squad and it is just great to have him back.

"I had a few chats with Steve and the form he has been in is exceptional since he came back from injury. It couldn't go unnoticed. The manager has brought him in and rightly so."

I will stand or fall by this decision
    Steve McClaren on Beckham's recall

McClaren has praised David Beckham for earning a recall to the national squad.

Real Madrid midfielder Beckham, 32, was named in a McClaren squad for the first time - his first inclusion since the 2006 World Cup.

McClaren said: "He showed great hunger and desire to get back. He didn't moan, just got his head down and worked hard.
    "I have not made this decision for anyone, it is about form. He is the fittest I have seen for a long time."

Beckham last played for England in the World Cup quarter-final defeat against Portugal last July, after which he resigned the captaincy and has not been selected in any of McClaren's nine previous squads.

He was also dropped by Real Madrid in January after agreeing to join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy when his contract with the Spanish side runs out at the end of the season.

But coach Fabio Capello eventually recalled Beckham and he has produced some stunning displays to lead Real to the top of La Liga, with two games left.

McClaren added: "You've got to respect the work Fabio Capello is doing at Real Madrid.

"He has had the same problems as me. He had no hesitation about bringing David back when he was on form and that has changed the fortunes of Real Madrid.
    "I would be very foolish to ignore that.

I have played against them a couple of times and scored both times
    Michael Owen on facing Brazil

"After one match, Capello said David ran 15 kilometres and the next highest figure was 12km. In another he ran 80 yards in the last minute to create a winning goal.

"I will stand or fall by this decision but anyone who has watched David closely over the last few weeks and months must understand why he is in the squad."

Also returning to the England squad is Michael Owen, who has been ruled out since the World Cup after injury.

The Newcastle striker is delighted to be back playing for his country and taking on the might of Brazil at Wembley.

He said: "I feel fine. It feels great to be back in the fold. I played in the England B game last week but obviously this is the real stuff now.

"The way Brazil play, the stars they produce, their kit - everything about them means you couldn't wish for a more exciting game to start off with at Wembley.

"I have played against them a couple of times and scored both times." Owen scored in a 1-1 friendly draw with Brazil in one of the last England's last games at the old Wembley stadium in 2000 and in their World Cup quarter-final defeat in 2002. He also scored against Brazil for England Under-15s on his first ever appearance at Wembley.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X