• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linker sickened by FIFA!!!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28632355

Lineker

Comment

Attacker and Defender too... LOL I love typos...

Bottom line is as Lineker says, is that Football means too much to too many for a concerted drive against FIFA's stranglehold on the sport.
      Peter R

Comment

This damn iPad rearranges the words that I type all the time, I have not figured out how to fix it yet except wait for the spell check to do its thing, I thought it was my mistake but when I retyped It it just changed it back to linker.

Yes, but if ever there was a time for football to split along some line I am thinking we have a nice number of loops being thrown into one intersection. FIFA is so successful it might be tough but Blatter needs to go and Russia and Qatar need to be reassigned.

Comment

The problem is, "pot cuss kettle for being black".

Gary Lineker is one who acted in an official capacity in a long line of England officials who are peeved at not having won the last bid for holding the World Cup...and further, the cries of corruption rings hollow in light of Englishman Sir Stanley Rous' period as president of FIFA during which Europe ruled the roost to the detriment of countries 'outside of the loop'.

Could that then actual ruling inner circle be termed a cabal and be considered a corrupt or dishonest or tyrannical or morally bankrupt entity? ...did that group act as the first such entity and as fact laid the ground for the succeeding regimes? ...an argument could be made!

Rous stood for re-election as president in 1974, but was defeated by the vigorous canvassing of João Havelange, in the context of discontent of other nations at European domination of FIFA as well as opposition by African & Asian countries due to the pro-apartheid stance of Rous.[6] Upon his retirement as president, on 11 June 1974, he was nominated Honorary President of FIFA.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Rous
          Last edited by Karl; August 4, 2014, 03:29 PM.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            Gary Lineker is one who acted in an official capacity in a long line of England officials who are peeved at not having won the last bid for holding the World Cup...and further, the cries of corruption rings hollow in light of Englishman Sir Stanley Rous' period as president of FIFA during which Europe ruled the roost to the detriment of countries 'outside of the loop'.

Could that then actual ruling inner circle be termed a cabal and be considered a corrupt or dishonest or tyrannical or morally bankrupt entity? ...did that group act as the first such entity and as fact laid the ground for the succeeding regimes? ...an argument could be made!
            Karl, you have to be careful not to conflate the "cause" with the appropriate course of action "going forward". Whether Rous laid the ground work for current corruption or not is immaterial imo to right-setting the organization. The first thing that is needed is a far more transparent and a better vetting process for appointment of FIFA officials and appointment of the games. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a litmus test for both, so no official should be eligible for any FIFA position if they do not have a long history of volunteerism, altruism and a track record of success and leadership. Secondly, a condition of appointment should be full personal financial disclosure. According to celebritynetworth.com:

Joseph Sepp Blatter net worth and salary: Joseph Sepp Blatter is the eighth and current president of FIFA and has a net worth of $20 million. Joseph Sepp Blatter has made his net worth through his years with the International Football Federation, and has been serving as president since 1998.

How does the head of a "not for profit" amass a networth of $20m? Are you kidding me? The details of FIFA's largess vis a vis Blatter should be fully disclosed.

With respect to appointing the games, I see the need for far further transparency and a clear - unambiguous - set of criteria, e.g.

1. Ability to pay for the games
            2. Accessibility to the world
            3. Existing and planned infrastructure
            4. etc.

The point is, that all bidders should be evaluated against public and transparent criteria. That would save a whole heap of people time and money. Anyway, I could go on. Your point about Rous being the fountainhead may be accurate, but I fail to see its relevance going forward. We have to focus on the road ahead and root out Blatter and the rest of these criminals. They should all go to jail.
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
              Karl, you have to be careful not to conflate the "cause" with the appropriate course of action "going forward".
              That must be aim!
              Agreed FULL 100!

Whether Rous laid the ground work for current corruption or not is immaterial imo to right-setting the organization.
              Granted but we must be absolutely fair and transparent. Hiding from ones own faults is remaining rooted in actions of the past.

- The first thing that is needed is a far more transparent and a better vetting process for appointment of FIFA officials and appointment of the games.

- In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a litmus test for both, so no official should be eligible for any FIFA position if they do not have a long history of volunteerism, altruism and a track record of success and leadership.
              Addressed below - AWARD PROCESS/Bidding process

- (Secondly,) a condition of appointment should be full personal financial disclosure. According to celebritynetworth.com:

Joseph Sepp Blatter net worth and salary: Joseph Sepp Blatter is the eighth and current president of FIFA and has a net worth of $20 million. Joseph Sepp Blatter has made his net worth through his years with the International Football Federation, and has been serving as president since 1998.

How does the head of a "not for profit" amass a networth of $20m? Are you kidding me? The details of FIFA's largess vis a vis Blatter should be fully disclosed.
              Re: Disclosure
              Agreed!

Re: The how of Blatter's current net worth
              It is unfair to cast aspersions on his character by manner in which you question how he gained his net worth without your provision of his net worth prior to his becoming FIFA president and information on his salaries and investments over the years.

...and even providing that information as stand alone set of financial statements may not be enough as it would have to be measured against his accomplishments at FIFA and viewed within context of what holds in the private market-place for heads of comparable entities and FIFA's compensation packages for its employees.

With respect to appointing the games, I see the need for far further transparency and a clear - unambiguous - set of criteria, e.g.

1. Ability to pay for the games
              2. Accessibility to the world
              3. Existing and planned infrastructure
              4. etc.

The point is, that all bidders should be evaluated against public and transparent criteria. That would save a whole heap of people time and money.
              Re: Awarding of World Cup tournaments
              You infer your points are not already the norm.

Selection process

Wikinews has related news: FIFA receives eleven bids for 2018 and 2022 World Cups

Early World Cups were given to countries at meetings of FIFA's congress. The locations were controversial because South America and Europe were by far the two centres of strength in football and travel between them required three weeks by boat. The decision to hold the first World Cup in Uruguay, for example, led to only four European nations competing.

The next two World Cups were both held in Europe. The decision to hold the second of these in France was disputed, as the South American countries understood that the location would alternate between the two continents. Both Argentina and Uruguay thus boycotted the 1938 FIFA World Cup.

- Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Wo...ection_process
              ...and...

Remember it is a bidding process?

May I point you to the process via a set of documents which on review allow for conclusions to be drawn on the involved detailed thoughts and actions that go into a country being awarded rights to hold a FIFA World Cup and other FIFA final tournaments?

Source: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...report_eng.pdf

Source: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/russia2...nts/index.html

Anyway, I could go on. Your point about Rous being the fountainhead may be accurate, but I fail to see its relevance going forward. We have to focus on the road ahead and root out Blatter and the rest of these criminals. They should all go to jail.
              As per where we started, as you were!
              Agreed FULL 100!
              Last edited by Karl; August 4, 2014, 07:58 PM.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Come on now Karl. Does one sin justify the repeated sins of others in the future, does not each man stand account for his own sins. Blatter has been found to cross many lines and in terms of what is required for a FIFA president has been found to be fundamentally 'short and wanting' lineker was running around in short pants in 1974 what does he have to do with this guy. Karl sound like you have some serious axe to grind gainst the English FA.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                  Come on now Karl. Does one sin justify the repeated sins of others in the future, does not each man stand account for his own sins. Blatter has been found to cross many lines and in terms of what is required for a FIFA president has been found to be fundamentally 'short and wanting' lineker was running around in short pants in 1974 what does he have to do with this guy. Karl sound like you have some serious axe to grind gainst the English FA.
                  See: http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...125#post490125

Re: Axe to grind
                  That is over...but you are mistaken on challenging England. Cho wrote on "The European dominance". Sir Stanley had the backing of the Europeans. ...and they were then the largest bloc.

Jean-Marie Faustin Goedefroid "João" de Havelange came in a 'kicked over the traces'. He started a process that "Jack" and Blatter capitalized on....hence our visit to the World Cup and the award of many benefits to the then lesser nations from the multiplicity of FIFA development programs, and other acts.

Football has truly become a global game during the Havelangue and Blatter regimes.

Comment

Paul you may find this interesting - FIFA Financial Report

FINANCIAL REPORT 2013 -
                    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...en_neutral.pdf

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...en_neutral.pdf

Comment

Hmm interesting!!!

Comment

...and in that context, soaring words of inspiration or...

...words of a charlatan? or ????

My vision for FIFA in this changing world is this:
                        We must become one of today’s pioneers of hope – just like those seven
                        original pioneers who started everything for us.
                        We must carry that flame of honesty, responsibility and respect.
                        If we do not, we will betray the true spirit of this game we all love.
                        · The simple spirit of fair play.
                        · The simple spirit of solidarity.
                        · And the simple spirit of integrity.
                        It is that spirit that has made football the people’s game, from the street to the palace.

Source: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...en_neutral.pdf

What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                        X