Michigan- 109,000 + wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan- 109,000 + wow!

Record crowd for a "soccer" match in the USA! Congrats MenUre...
    Peter R

109,318 to be exact!!
    Peter R

Comment

That was some figure!
      Clap dem!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Quite a sight

"‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

None of the players have ever played in front of a larger crowd...irony is that when Rooney is asked 10 years from now " what's the biggest crowd you played in front of in your career " his answer will most likely be " Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA " ...sure to stun more than one trivia buff of the future.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Good insight, sah!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

That it was! ...that it was!

Comment

Oversight too,Nike's!

Comment

Does not look like a well-designed stadium, however. The seating seems to slope back too much so if you are at back you are very far from the field. I prefer the steeper seating arrangements. But that could be my preference.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Does not look like a well-designed stadium, however. The seating seems to slope back too much so if you are at back you are very far from the field. I prefer the steeper seating arrangements. But that could be my preference.
                    The stadium has a capacity of 109,901. It originally opened in 1927 with 72,000 capacity, so I suspect that the engineering of 1927 and the multiple renovations resulted in several constraints.
                    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Also, if you make it much steeper, you run the risk of altitude sickness among patrons. you definitely will have nose bleed sections.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The one football match I watched in Michigan was a World Cup match between Brazil and Sweden in 1994. I bet the atmosphere yesterday was 100 times better than the one I saw! The entire city of Detroit was as dead as it is now, you'd never believe a World Cup match was taking place there.

It was at the Pontiac Silverdome, just outside of Detroit, and the first indoor stadium for a World Cup match. I think 50,000 plus spectators were there.

The next World Cup held in the USA will be fantastic! There, I said it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"The next World Cup held in the USA will be fantastic! There, I said it! "

Glad you say that finally. MO a different time form 1994. WorldCup vibes was not like Jamaica in certain quarters but definitely in some. I sneak out to watch the USA game. Sports bars, pizza shops, and other places were rocking. I can bet the next world cup in the US going to be a very quick sell out of pretty much all the games.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In 94 the games were pretty much sold out; don't forget PLENTY "farriners" travelled to the US to see their team play. And feel no way, Europeans, South Americans and every one else wants to visit America.

However, the towns were totally devoid of any kind of vibes or atmosphere. I went to Pontiac Silverdome to see three first round matches; were it not for the the football the place would have been like a ghost town... I couldn't even tell you where Pontiac started or ended... the Stadium just rose up out of the bushes in the middle of nowhere it seemed.

On the way to the matches we found a bar that had satellite dishes and so we would leave early, and take in a match that was being played out west on the TV; we'd have to ask them to change the channel to WC football; everyone was watching NASCAR or some such thing.

What I'm getting to understand is that that has changed... a WC in the US, particularly in the larger centres would probably be a blast!!
                            Peter R

Comment

Next World Cup in the US, you can bet Kansas City's Arrowhead will be among the sites. Kansas City have the atmosphere and the support for this, much more, an 80K capacity stadium in Arrowhead. The only problem I find is the excessive heat during the summers. Someimes for days weks we are over 100° and even nights are hot. So far this summer we have has a pretty mild summer in terms of temperatures. Only a few times so far we have seen 90°F which is unusual.
                              I am getting the feeling that we are going to pay for this beautiful weather come winter.
                              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                              X