Soccer Fever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When? I take it you mean NFL...

BTW, The comparison should be: what is the viewership of "the best league" relative to others over the last five years? I think that is what Paul's links refer to.
    The point really is that the increased viewership and attendance at MLS games does not necessarily mean that the NFL or other leagues will lose anything; America have plenty people who looking for something to call their own
    Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
      seem ike the regular desire to see the best teams in the world. that growth needs to be at the MLS level. they are doing a good job. not quite at fever levels yet, but on the right path.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW-yioRo6JU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRd3d8Q2tDo

Last edited by GazX; July 29, 2014, 04:37 PM.

Comment

the point is thaty Mmericans have not caught "football fever"...they have TEAM USA fever and that's it...the proof is there for everybody to see...why yuh keep bringing up MLS when Mexican League has more viewership in the USA than MLS?

Comment

i don't understand...the word "soccer" is English in origin but is frowned upon by the anglophiles who now prefer to use the word "football"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Here! Here!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Here! Here!
              why yuh uh trying to make Peter R heel? he is not a dog...i think the expression you are looking for is "Hear...Hear"...yuh went to good school?

Comment

Great post, Paul
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                  why yuh uh trying to make Peter R heel? he is not a dog...i think the expression you are looking for is "Hear...Hear"...yuh went to good school?
                  You are correct!
                  Hear! Hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    i don't understand...the word "soccer" is English in origin but is frowned upon by the anglophiles who now prefer to use the word "football"?
                    So soccer is a nickname for the sport, but the official name is football. The sport is an international sport and no longer just English, although it has its origin in England. FIFA stands for Fédération Internationale de Football Association and not The Fédération Internationale de Soccer Association.

One of the thing I had problem with is when I first got to the US. I had this American roommate where if I made the mistake and said football and I was not talking about American football, he would always correct me and said "it is soccer, not football". For that reason, I usually do not conform to anyone telling me not to use the name football for the sport and to use soccer. It would be like me telling Americans that their game is Grid Iron when they use the word football to describe American football. If that is being an anglophiles, then consider me guilty and I have no apologies.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

check out the history of the word "soccer"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                        check out the history of the word "soccer"
                        I know the history. I am saying that since Americans have adopted "Soccer" as the name they want to call the sport, I will not be forced to using it. I am not disputing the fact that Soccer has its origins in England.
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

oh .... ok.

Comment

Anyone ever challenge you to a game of Checkers? or Parcheesi? If they did, what would you tell them?
                            Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                              Anyone ever challenge you to a game of Checkers? or Parcheesi? If they did, what would you tell them?
                              I get where you are coming from.

I think my main problem though was my American roommate constantly getting on my case that "it is soccer!". I never had that problem with Parcheesi.

So my former Indian coworker tells me that the snake and ladder game like Parcheesi is of Indian origin too. She also said so was Karate.

Comment

Working...
                              X