RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the best goal of the world cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Paul, are you engaged in conversion with a casual observer?

Have the observer know that James was pretty much stationary throughout the entire execution. Players practice that in training all the while. And James was under no pressure whatsoever.

Goetze executed his at full blast down the field. It's the sort of thing you can't practice but, come game time, you put together all you have learnt over the years to execute such a shot. Likewise Cahill's, you can't practice that in training.

I would tell him myself, Paul, but I do believe you have more practice dumbing down discussions, what with your dialogue
    with X in recent times.
    Jesus..."dumbing down" man is now what I have become? Lord help me...no wonda Karl end up in Shady Pines...the brain pain too much. Anyway, this is not an argument to be won. I liked both goals but I think Cahill's (and RVPs) were both more technically difficult than James's. Lazie thinks different (remember, he is a Manu** supporter, so you haffi 'low him).
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
      1st: Tim Cahill
      2nd: Rodriguez
      3rd: Goetze
      4th: RVP

THis is how I would rank them. I think the RvP goal got a lot of press because his goal looked spectacular. If one should take some time to look at the mechanics of the header a bit more, he made the header, then hurled himself in the air following the ball. Most people you hear said he ran and hurled himself in the air to make he header. That is not the case.

It was a good play still, shows good timing and anticipation, but I think the embellishment (flying Dutchman), really occurred after he contacted the ball and it was on its way to goal.
      Tilla, I think you should watch RVP's goal again. I agree the "dive" embellished the header, but he actually used the head, body and feet to make that goal happen. It was NOT easy to lob the goalie with a header that had that trajectory from a pass from that distance. Give unto Ceaser (as Lazie would say).
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
        Lazie, what made James goal "look" good was that it hit under the crossbar. But you can't tell me that weak foot volleys from the top of the area (receiving the ball over your shoulder) is more prevalent than chest to foot volleys. The former is far more rare a sight. Anyway, to each his own. I don't think that Cahill could repeat that strike given 10 chances...can't say the same for James.
        ... I have been trying to word my posts carefully bcuz I don't want to be accused of berating any of the goals. But since you talk bout rare sight ... check Rvp for Arsenal v Charlton. Check Rvp for MU v Aston Villa. Regular ting.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post

THis is how I would rank them. I think the RvP goal got a lot of press because his goal looked spectacular. If one should take some time to look at the mechanics of the header a bit more, he made the header, then hurled himself in the air following the ball. Most people you hear said he ran and hurled himself in the air to make he header. That is not the case.

It was a good play still, shows good timing and anticipation, but I think the embellishment (flying Dutchman), really occurred after he contacted the ball and it was on its way to goal.
          Can't remember scoring a header like that, but didn't he do that to get the ball over the keeper?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

RVP's most difficult...and technically most demanding!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilla

Originally Posted by Paul: Tilla, I think you should watch RVP's goal again. I agree the "dive" embellished the header, but he actually used the head, body and feet to make that goal happen. It was NOT easy to lob the goalie with a header that had that trajectory from a pass from that distance. Give unto Ceaser (as Lazie would say).
            Normally playing with the head is the most difficult of the technical areas to master.

RVP's timing was as good as the others on getting off the striking of the ball...he also had to launch himself in the air at the correct trajectory and apply the correct weight to the ball to have it loop over the goalkeeper at the correct height so it could not be caught...and for it to come down at the right time so that rather than sailing over the goal it landed inside!

Perfect movement, timing and execution!!! Out of this world.

RVP's less than stellar performance during the World Cup should not detract from that magnificent goal-scoring moment!
            The #1 goal - RVP's - http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2014/0...der-world-cup/
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Tim Cahill and Rodriquez a two gem, dem goal deh. Rodriquez especially special fi a yout a wonderful strike.

Comment

One more vote for Rodriguez. Difficult enough technically and also the most spectacular.

Confession: I am not among the cognoscenti. It look wikid and dats all me know!
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  One more vote for Rodriguez. Difficult enough technically and also the most spectacular.

Confession: I am not among the cognoscenti. It look wikid and dats all me know!
                  We can't all be!

Humblecente status is quite noble, however!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                    Jesus..."dumbing down" man is now what I have become? Lord help me...no wonda Karl end up in Shady Pines...the brain pain too much. Anyway, this is not an argument to be won. I liked both goals but I think Cahill's (and RVPs) were both more technically difficult than James's. Lazie thinks different (remember, he is a Manu** supporter, so you haffi 'low him).
                    Yes, but he is supporting James as the best one, not RVP...

My picks are with a score out of 100 beside them: (Totally arbitrary, but really to demonstrate how close I thought they were )
                    1. Cahill -98
                    2. RVP - 97.8
                    3. Goetze 97.2
                    4. JR - 97
                    Peter R

Comment

For me RVP's header was the goal of the WC. It was not just a header but a measured one that required intelligence to beat the goalkeeper and the skill to execute it to perfection. All the others were instinctive. The next one in line was Rodriguez. But RVP's required greater skill AND intelligence to pull off.
                      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Agree with you Jangle.

The fact that this was not scored with the foot (but the head) made it more difficult to execute.

A goal scored with the foot can be outstanding like Rodriguez or Cahill.

But using the head in the technique that RVP employed--added several degrees of difficulty.

RVP's goal is my #1

Cahill and Rodriguez tied for the #2 spot.
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

HL meet me next door.
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post

Please try slow-mo and pay particular attention to movement before header...and position of his body on contact - (You can stop the play with the ball on his head=contact) - and the position of his feet when that contact occurred?

btw - Many were of the opinion when this site became 'live' that heading was merely to prevent a ball getting to an opponent. There was great disbelief when it was said that the aim on heading was to replicate aims of using the feet on playing the ball - accurate passing (to teammate, assist on attack, assist on defense. The head should be used to 'make the ball walk and talk' in like manner as the feet. ...at times to 'catch the ball', to cushion pass, to pass firmly, make killer passes, pass short, pass long and of course to score goals.

For all the foregoing the degree of difficulty to master heading when compared to master using the feet can be argued is as far as East is from the West. Many players gain high degree of competence using the feet ...the head? That is a whole different ball game!

PS: Just a note - (Not saying this goal is the best of the tournament. As fact, I do not think it is...Hey, if you forgot, my vote is on RVP's header versus) - Spain! . - Why isn't Green's goal scored for the USA against Belgium in the mix?

Our perceptions of 'best' coloured by...?
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Another thing that made that goal a great goal, was RVP's bravery to head the ball one-time instead of taking it down on his chest. He had the time to control the ball and then shoot.

Comment

Working...
                                X