Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-finals – 2014 World Cup

A look back -

Costa Rica: We have to lift our hats to the Costa Rican team. They ended participation in the tournament two matches away from in the finals and never being defeated during play. It took penalties at the end of play against the Netherlands to end the determined run. The Costa Ricans did themselves and all who had invested in their preparations for this tournament, proud.

Netherlands: The hardest working TEAM in the tournament? That is a question best left to the fans…but it is fact the players work their socks off and none more so that Arjen Robben. Robben reminds of the energizer bunny. In matches, he just keeps going and going and going…

Before a ball was kicked I relegated the Dutch to outsiders. I openly spoke of the players of the Netherlands not lifting the FIFA World Cup trophy. It took penalty-kicks shootout from their players to advance instead of Costa Rica.

My thinking has been sorely tested. Based on the quality in the team, strength of character and physical strength shown, one would think that they are surely in with a chance of lifting the ultimate prize.

Argentina: I continue to be amazed at Argentina’s progress. One broken play by the Belgians on which they capitalized and the Argentineans find selves in the semi-finals. The Argentineans have not played good football but have been resolute on defense and have ridden the play of Angel di Maria and infrequent flashes of brilliance by Lionel Messi to advance.

Belgians: Loaded with brilliant players…and with play in their previous match holding promise of formation into TEAM unit. Sadly in the last match a TEAM was still not created. The post-mortem will be seeking to find out what happened within the camp that caused that potential of excellent TEAM unit to not materialize.

Brazil: Another team loaded with brilliant players but underperforming. In the last match created many chances most of which fell to the feet of "Hulk" - Givanildo Vieira de Souza.

Has not performed anywhere near good TEAM unit but have always created many chances in its matches.

Germany
    The Germans are simply the best organized and best at TEAM-play. A TEAM with which it is difficult to find any weakness. End of Story!

On 10 10 June, 2014 immediately before the start of the tournament my first prediction was -
    Based on watching many of the qualifying matches and more recently numerous practice matches/pre-tournament 'International Friendlies' my first prediction shall be: I would be surprised if the World Cup trophy winner is not one of Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Belgium or the Ivory Coast.

I have eliminated from that group Spain and The Dutch.

See: http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...561#post481561
    Three of my pre-tournament favorites shall be battling for a FINAL place.

The Dutch which I had dismissed as not having a chance at lifting the trophy is here and now has a better chance than the other three of making the final. The Dutch meets the team I now think is at the bottom of the totem pole of teams still standing.

The matches:
    Brazil v Germany
    Brazil has so far still continued to underperform. The unfortunate injury to Neymar rules him out.

See: http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...969#post485969

The question is, can Brazil improve such that it can defeat the seemingly near impregnable and unbeatable Germans? I do not think so.

To win and advance the well prepared and smooth German machine – GERMANY!

Netherlands v Argentina

The Netherlands have performed as attacking threat far better than Argentina over the course of the tournament. They have potent attackers in Robin Van Persie and Arjen Robben but the player that provides the glue that holds the team together and who also when he is not providing top quality shots, ensures continuous service to the strikers, is Wesley Sneijder, the best attacking midfielder of the tournament. He has been “doing it all”.

Sneijder epitomizes the determination with which the players of the Netherlands approach each match. He works his hardest while covering the entire pitch. His coach, Louis Van Gaul, describes him thus,
    Sneijder is one of the most on-form players in my team: he is the one who covers most kilometers and his technique is outstanding.
    Argentina’s secret weapon, that is not so secret, must be Lionel Messi. Messi must be a well rested man as he has played in spurts showing only the occasional flash of brilliance. Can he produce a ‘blinder’ of a match and give a performance that from the first whistle to the last burns brightly at his brilliant best?

The defense is one of the best in the tournament having allowed only 3 goals. For all that Argentina cannot survive the expected onslaught of the Dutch players without Messi at his very best.

To win and advance the determined and relentless Dutch – NETHERLANDS!
    Last edited by Karl; July 7, 2014, 04:43 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Wow! you are calling Netherlands versus Germany! Incredible. I am calling Brazil Netherlands and that was my pick from the start, it will be tough as Oranje has always been my team but Brazil also has a piece of my heart as well, Oranje to win!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
      Wow! you are calling Netherlands versus Germany! Incredible. I am calling Brazil Netherlands and that was my pick from the start, it will be tough as Oranje has always been my team but Brazil also has a piece of my heart as well, Oranje to win!
      Nope!
      Germany is still my #1 pick...but in the 2 semi-finals matches it is the Netherlands with the better chance at winning and advancing to the finals.

...put it another way: Of the 4 teams still standing Argentina is weakest. The others on strength would see me saying #1 - Germany, #2 - Netherlands and #3. Brazil.

So...my #2 on strength plays the weakest & thus #4 Argentina. I call it that Argentina is some way behind the other 3 on strength. So #2 - Netherlands has the easy opponent and as I see it most likely of the 4 teams to advance to the finals.

#1 - Germany & #3 - Brazil should have a tectonic fight!

mmmm?
      I re-read your post...and it is saying that the call I made was for a Germany v Netherland final. You are correct, sir!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Wesley Sneider kicked out of the game...

...and down went the Dutch!

OK! - Penalties now!

Comment

another incorrect prediction from karl...you should be an octopus somebody might actually care what you have to say
          Last edited by Bricktop; July 9, 2014, 09:28 PM.

Comment

They won the penalty kicks?
            My eyes must have fooled me.

---- ...and yes, some of the predictions were wrong. You never expected me anyone to get them all right, did you?

I knew some would be wrong. I just did not have your special powers to enable a different outcome. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Netherlands v Argentina

The Netherlands have performed as attacking threat far better than Argentina over the course of the tournament. They have potent attackers in Robin Van Persie and Arjen Robben but the player that provides the glue that holds the team together and who also when he is not providing top quality shots, ensures continuous service to the strikers, is Wesley Sneijder, the best attacking midfielder of the tournament. He has been “doing it all”.

Sneijder epitomizes the determination with which the players of the Netherlands approach each match. He works his hardest while covering the entire pitch. His coach, Louis Van Gaul, describes him thus,

Argentina’s secret weapon, that is not so secret, must be Lionel Messi. Messi must be a well rested man as he has played in spurts showing only the occasional flash of brilliance. Can he produce a ‘blinder’ of a match and give a performance that from the first whistle to the last burns brightly at his brilliant best?

The defense is one of the best in the tournament having allowed only 3 goals. For all that Argentina cannot survive the expected onslaught of the Dutch players without Messi at his very best.

To win and advance the determined and relentless Dutch – NETHERLANDS!
              Wrong Again

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Nope!
                Germany is still my #1 pick...but in the 2 semi-finals matches it is the Netherlands with the better chance at winning and advancing to the finals.

...put it another way: Of the 4 teams still standing Argentina is weakest. The others on strength would see me saying #1 - Germany, #2 - Netherlands and #3. Brazil.

So...my #2 on strength plays the weakest & thus #4 Argentina. I call it that Argentina is some way behind the other 3 on strength. So #2 - Netherlands has the easy opponent and as I see it most likely of the 4 teams to advance to the finals.

#1 - Germany & #3 - Brazil should have a tectonic fight!

mmmm?
                I re-read your post...and it is saying that the call I made was for a Germany v Netherland final. You are correct, sir!
                Wrong Again

Comment

Working...
                X