Brazil appeal Thiago Silva's yellow card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil appeal Thiago Silva's yellow card

Brazil have lodged an appeal against captain Thiago Silva's yellow card, shown during Friday’s World Cup quarter-final victory over Colombia in Fortaleza.

Thiago received his second booking of the tournament after blocking Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina, which means he is suspended for the semi-final against Germany in Belo Horizonte on Tuesday.

http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-World...as-yellow-card
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Idiots!

When you make a stupid appeal you should be slapped with more sanctions!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When is it a foul? Did Thiago block the goalkeeper from releasing the ball or did he intercept the ball just as the GK released it.

Was that a cardable offense?
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I cannot recall what team it was againt, but Samuel Eto'o scored a goal off a similar situation for Chelsea last season. Well, he intercepted the ball just as the GK released it. The referee allowed the goal, although some people were saying it should have been a foul.

Comment

Different thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jODt0wuaV0

What Eto'o did was legal. What Silva did was not, and he should have known that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
            When is it a foul? Did Thiago block the goalkeeper from releasing the ball or did he intercept the ball just as the GK released it.

Yes, yes, yes and YES!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sorry, not EPL it was Champions League against Schalke. I think it was a goal kick if I am not mistaken. You should be able to see it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihXTQP4xSCM

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post

No foul!
                ...in fact, penalty. At least it would have been so in my days. The 'keeper released the ball and on release it was there to be legally played by any player.

--- Analogy: If it were an out-fielder who 'threw' the ball up with a foot or other part of his body it would have been counted as being there to be legally played by any other player.

Context: 'keeper releases ball. Silva never touched the 'keeper. As fact, the 'keeper kicked him.

Well...the goalkeeper is, unlike other players legally allowed to play the ball with his hands in his own penalty-area. ...like the outfielder mentioned above he released the ball and thus it was there to be played by anyone.

What that ruling tells me - ...is no one is legally entitled to play a released ball - What if the goalkeeper had not attempted to play the ball? ...no other player could? ...or no attacking player could? - after a 'keeper has released the ball there is now a pre-determined distance within which an attacker cannot - (and therefore logically an area where the attacker can...) - legally play the ball.

...or is it that after the 'keeper releases the ball it can only be played once it hits the ground? ...as done by E'oto? TH14? ...and if the ball was released and launched into the opposing players' penalty-area? ...no heading by defenders as it must hit the ground before being played by an attacker?

btw - In days gone by the 'keeper would have been faulted by his teammates and the fans of being guilty of being stupid as it was not considered a sensible move to release the ball into an area where it could be won by an attacker.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Hmmm, everyone on the ESPN panel disagrees with you.

I guess I will have to reconsider my opinion.

NOT!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

12.17 PREVENTING THE GOALKEEPER FROM RELEASING THE BALL INTO PLAY
                    An opponent may not prevent the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands. While players have a right to maintain a position achieved during the normal course of play, they may not try to block the goalkeeper's movement while he is holding the ball or do anything which hinders, interferes with, or blocks the goalkeeper who is throwing or punting the ball back into play. An opponent does not violate the Law, however, if he takes advantage of a ball released by the goalkeeper directly to him, in his direction, or even deflecting off him nonviolently.
                    This could be old, of course!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      12.17 PREVENTING THE GOALKEEPER FROM RELEASING THE BALL INTO PLAY
                      An opponent may not prevent the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands. While players have a right to maintain a position achieved during the normal course of play, they may not try to block the goalkeeper's movement while he is holding the ball or do anything which hinders, interferes with, or blocks the goalkeeper who is throwing or punting the ball back into play. An opponent does not violate the Law, however, if he takes advantage of a ball released by the goalkeeper directly to him, in his direction, or even deflecting off him nonviolently.

This could be old, of course!
                      ...and when did this become law?
                      ...and is there comparable IFAB decision? If there is, and would think there is, that would prove interesting as among other things there is that releasing the ball to the ground...
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Watch Silva foul Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina here.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/DF2B1...hmI.OnMleiW2VB

Comment

Karl, yuh know how di ting set - come wid fi yuh rule dat would suggest that Thiago did nothing wrong, and wi tek it from dere.

Simple!

And nuh bodda try write dis ting to death, so by di time yuh done, not even me know where mi stand pon di issue!

I am saying, unequivocally, right now - FOUL. I have seen refs give yellow cards for this before but I am not going to swear and say it is an automatic yellow. So maybe there is hope for Thiago. Doubt it very much though, but is FIFA wi dealing wid. If we nuh mind sharp, dem postpone di semifinals until Neymar back get better!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And nuh bodda try write dis ting to death, so by di time yuh done, not even me know where mi stand pon di issue!
                            Unuh Munro men just don't know when to stop.
                            Karl putting together one of his epistles right now, with points i) to ix) and a) to f). Watch and see.

Comment

Mek him gwaan. Him one read dem!

And, yuh know Tilla, him was a FIFA ref, yuh know. Mi did actually rate him one time. But lawks, look what him come to!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X