RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please explain this for me......................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain this for me......................

How can someone say that a team that looses a game is better than the winning team???

The ULTIMATE GOAL of any team in football/soccer, or any sport, is to WIN. The player selections, formations and game plan/tactical plan is to give the team the best opportunity to WIN. In its basic form, to achieve this you convert your chances or most of them & prevent the opposition from converting theirs.....The team that LOOSES failed to achieve their ULTIMATE GOAL, so how can the loosing team be considered the BETTER team???

***As a coach once said in a press conference, "You play the game to WIN. Nothing else matters."

Well the better team can lose on a specific day for various reasons...poor officiating, loss of composure/patience, overconfidence, etc.

However far too often we confuse the better team with the more entertaining team or the team with more possession. Then when they lose we say the other team was "lucky".
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Weaker teams win against better teams all the while. US beating Brazil in Gold Cup (or was it a friendly) for example is one such situation. I might say Jamaica's win against Japanin World Cup 98 could be considered another such games. A one off win does not necessarily mean that the winning team is better.

It is a part of the reason why we play games. As the good book tells us, the race is not to the swift, nor is the battle to the strong. . . On any day, any team can win. Good teams on the other hand will win more consistently.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
        Weaker teams win against better teams all the while. US beating Brazil in Gold Cup (or was it a friendly) for example is one such situation. I might say Jamaica's win against Japanin World Cup 98 could be considered another such games. A one off win does not necessarily mean that the winning team is better.

It is a part of the reason why we play games. As the good book tells us, the race is not to the swift, nor is the battle to the strong. . . On any day, any team can win. Good teams on the other hand will win more consistently.
        Tilla - Jamaica was better than Japan in '98. No question. Try a nex' example u hear 'fore me start treat yu like yu name X!! Nah...jes' jokin' ... dat could neva happen!
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
          How can someone say that a team that looses a game is better than the winning team???

The ULTIMATE GOAL of any team in football/soccer, or any sport, is to WIN. The player selections, formations and game plan/tactical plan is to give the team the best opportunity to WIN. In its basic form, to achieve this you convert your chances or most of them & prevent the opposition from converting theirs.....The team that LOOSES failed to achieve their ULTIMATE GOAL, so how can the loosing team be considered the BETTER team???

***As a coach once said in a press conference, "You play the game to WIN. Nothing else matters."
          Ask the Dutch when their game against Costa Rica is finished!!

Comment

If Ticos win today... we are now set for extra time... would they be considered the better team??
            Peter R

Comment

I remember in college playing a number 1 ranked team and I tell you, it was one way traffic. I tackled till I was tired. The goalie made saves all day and we got two chances. One in regular time and it scored. they scored one and then we got the other in sudden death play off. We won but we knew we were far from the better team.

Belgium was a better tam than US but US could have stole it in the last minute. Better team doesn't mean winning it depend on the day, luck and effort.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Trying to pull out some folks Paul.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                  Trying to pull out some folks Paul.
                  You are an evil man - evil!!! LOL!!! All me know seh is dat Jamaica neva finish last in fi wi group...and the group had two big time teams in there with Croatia and Argentina (a game I have chosen to forget). Ah so me seeit.
                  "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Dunny et al, you can continue to proclaim the team that only dominates the stats in ball position, creating scoring chances, corners & free kicks as the BETTER TEAM.

I will stick with the team that has the better goals for vs against ratio, as well as scoring & WIN percentage, as the BETTER TEAM.

Comment

LUCK is when OPPORTUNITY meets PREPARATION & EXECUTION.

The world is FULL of people with stories of Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda. Belgium WON, U.S. LOST - Fact, case closed!!!

Comment

You LOOSE if you FAIL to EXECUTE.

Comment

LOSE.

Loose is more like Suarez' behaviour. Lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility; idle: loose talk.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Can't call the team that FAILS to EXECUTE (convert their chance) the BETTER TEAM.

Comment

I would not be surprised if Suarez was not set up to do that biting thing. I believe there are powerful forces that know how to get many players to do things, even very bizarre things.
                              "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Working...
                              X