• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarters...Brazil, Germany...

...Costa Rica & Belgium to advance.

----

Introduction: Phew! &

Eight matches? Eight thrillers!
    ..but there is no doubt that the most balanced displays have been from the Germans and the Belgians.

How did I arrive at making what I think were three difficult choices?
    The selection of Argentina's good-bye and the advance of her next opponent, Belgium, was straight-forward.

France v Germany

We have here comparison between the efficient and creative perpetual motion Germany with its X1 attackers (yes...please include goalkeeper, Neuer) and its X1 defenders. Germany presents goal-scoring threats...constant goal-scoring threats...from among its forwards and midfielders versus a French TEAM that is not at 100% as unit.

In this tournament, the French have not had the baptism of fire the German have had. The French had it easy in the group stages and if it was not noticed that they were less than well organized and balanced in the earlier rounds, they were found out and displayed as such in the just concluded Round of 16 match by Nigeria.

The French still have too many passes going astray in crucial areas. Good possession becomes more and more crucial as the standard of play moves closer to the TOP OF THE WORLD status. That good possession was not displayed. It is also worth noting that the French made heavy weather of getting by a Nigeria rocked with internal conflicts and less committed to playing football.

Stats: Scroll down to> Scoring - Attacking - Defending - Passing
    France - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...tatistics.html

Germany - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...tatistics.html
    To win and advance - Germany
    Last edited by Karl; July 2, 2014, 10:55 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Would love to see that.

Belgium has a good chance, but I fear for Costa Rica.

Argentina has not impressed. Neutralize Messi and there's no one else!

Netherlands has more aces up their sleeves than C.R. They'll have to play out of their skin to advance.
    Peter R

Comment

Costa Rica's win would be BIG for CONCACAF.......I'm FULLY in their corner.

Comment

Quarters - Brazil v Colombia

Brazil v Colombia
        Brazil has been on the improve. The key is the team has been creating many good opportunities on goal. Still presenting disjoined displays but has been steadily on the rise.

We have come to enjoy the attacking Colombians but we have seen how that leaves the team open to counter-attacking opportunities.

The Brazilians have in the past been great at counter-attacking and their collection of individuals are good at it.

I think we have not seen anywhere near the best of Brazil and have already seen the best of Colombia.

The battle shall pit Brazil's stars individual brilliance v Colombia's pace on attack.

Brazil - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...tatistics.html

Colombia - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...tatistics.html
        To win and advance - Brazil
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Argentina v Belgium

Argentina v Belgium
          Belgium has found its stride and the collection of TOP OF THE WORLD individuals has become TEAM. The match versus the USA was just what the doctor ordered. The USA presented strong, hard-running, combative and resilient opponent that forced the Belgians to be at its best on organization, defending and attacking, movement and passing. Were it not for Tim Howards magnificent display in goal the USA would have been swamped.
          The best unit display the Belgians have presented and one of the best in this tournament. A repeat performance could see Argentina not just defeated but over-run.

In this tournament Argentina has not played as well as we would expect of an Argentine team. In terms of organization and tactics this is the poorest team left in the competition. The Belgians should provide pressure and probes in every area of the field for each Argentine player's weakness.

Argentina - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...tatistics.html

Belgium - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...tatistics.html
          To win and advance - Belgium

Comment

Colombia to down Brazil
            Belgium to take care of Argentina
            Costa Rica to out Holland - my heart said so but my head says otherwise
            Germany to put France in their place - whoever win this game will win the WC

Comment

Netherlands v Costa Rica

Netherlands v Costa Rica
              A match that causes any who thinks on predicting the result to have sleepless nights.

Netherlands wacked the immediate former double European Champions and immediate past World Cup Champions 5 goals to 1. A Netherlands with a flying Arjen Robben's and the feared striker, Robin van Persie. ...but one that has been flattered by its opponents woeful finishing.

A Costa Rica that is well organized...far better organized that the Netherlands...but has no outstanding striker. The stats suggest Costa Rica was outworked by the Netherlands but I wonder on allowances for playing with 10 ten men?

This Costa Rican outfit is as composed as their opponents. They shall best organized team the Netherlands has faced in this tournament.

The unknown variables include: a Costa Rica that is drained by its last encounter and complacent as its progress into the hitherto uncharted waters of the quarter-finals infuse the players with a sense of accomplishment that takes the edge off...a lowering desire...a mental and thus physical letdown.

...and on the side of the Netherlands an over -reliance on Arjen Robbens and what the missing Nigel de Jong does to team balance, midfield structure and defense.

Which team shall prevail, the Netherlands with its vaulted attack or Costa Rica with its well tested organization?

Netherlands - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...tatistics.html

Costa Rica - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...tatistics.html
              To win and advance - Costa Rica

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                Colombia to down Brazil
                Belgium to take care of Argentina
                Costa Rica to out Holland - my heart said so but my head says otherwise
                Germany to put France in their place - whoever win this game will win the WC
                No surprise that I with you on leaning Germany to win it all. As I have been saying Germany is currently the best TEAM in the world

...with you on 3 out of 4!

We shall see
                Last edited by Karl; July 4, 2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                  Would love to see that.

Belgium has a good chance, but I fear for Costa Rica.

Argentina has not impressed. Neutralize Messi and there's no one else!

Netherlands has more aces up their sleeves than C.R. They'll have to play out of their skin to advance.
                  What weight do you put on Netherlands win over Mexico? Labored win? Mexico gave it away by thinking defense - for

...and Costa Rica's heroics against a well structured...mechanical...Greece?

Comment

Semi finalists

Brazil
                    France
                    Netherlands
                    Belgium

Comment

Wrong Again

Comment

Working...
                      X