• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's getting hot!!!

Clarendon All-Stars prepare for tour of Cayman

By Bev Melbourne
    Sunday, May 27, 2007

Captain Horace Burrell, vice-president of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) and the Clarendon Football Association, has spearheaded an 18-man Clarendon All-Stars team's two-match tour of the Cayman Islands in an effort to boost football development in the parish.

The squad, which is expected to arrive in Grand Cayman on June 8, will match skills against Grand Cayman Digicel Cup champions Scholars FC and FA Cup champions Latino FC.

"I contemplated long and hard on my decision and then gave the board my word that I would use my influence in every possibble channel to improve all aspects of the game and its administration, and most importantly, exposing the referees from the parish in an exchange programme so that they would get the experience of another Caribbean island as a plus in their carreer," Burrell stated.
    He said five referees from Clarendon - Kevin Morrison, Michael Wong, Kedlee Powell, Jason Jackson and Lloyd Reader - have benifitted from this exchange programme, while three officials from the Cayman Islands have fulfilled their part of the exchange programme.

Another batch of referees is expected in the island soon.
    Former FIFA assistant referee, Dave Meikle, who is the general secretary of the Clarendon FA, travelled to Grand Cayman recently to participate in a FIFA administrative seminar, while Garfield Robinson went on a coaching course - both of which were organised and conducted by FIFA instructors from Zurich as part of Burrell's initiative.
    Burrell described the Clarendon FA excecutives as a well-rounded, intelligent and hardworking group who remained faithful to their dedicated president Michael Ricketts.

"The feedback I received relating to the performance of the Clarendon referees from the Grand Cayman FA made me proud as they have proven to be true ambassadors," Burrell added.
    The touring squad comprises players from the eight Major League clubs in the parish which participated in the Captain's Bakery Clarendon Major League.

Their attack will be led by leading striker Jamie Fothergill (13 goals), along with Dwayne Ballentine (10 goals). Midfielder Winston Gilzene will be supported by Rickert Graham of Major League champions Morgan's Pass.

The team's defence will be marshalled by goalkeeper Noel Austin, who has only been beaten eight times in 22 matches.
    Clarendon FA third vice-president Ewan Scott, Meikle, treasurer Garrett Williams, manager Lance Robinson and coach Garfield Robinson will travel with the team.
    Last edited by Siya; May 27, 2007, 10:15 AM. Reason: Highlight points
    SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

anyone can tell us what happened?

Comment

Working...
    X