X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Tracey Reid and Granville's success

Of Tracey Reid and Granville's success

western bureau

Most football fans in St. James dearly want to see Granville FC qualify for the 2007-'08 Wray & Nephew National Premier League (NPL) Football Competition primarily because they want the parish to have a replacement for the relegated Wadadah FC.

However, for me, I want to see the Granville team qualify because I want to see Tracy Reid, their hard-working coach, achieve the enviable distinction of becoming the first female coach in the annals of national football to qualify a team for the NPL competition.

case of good luck
    Within recent times, I have heard several persons, including some coaches with far less success, questioning Mrs. Reid's competence as a coach.

I have even heard persons intimating that her success is more a case of good luck than any sound tactical and technical know-how on her part.

However, having been privy to the interesting story behind Mrs. Reid's elevation to the position of coach of the Granville team, instead of questioning her knowledge of the game, I would rather to heap praise on her for her courage, commitment and sense of purpose.

Three years ago, the irrepressible Mrs. Reid, who was at the time the administrator for Granville, found herself facing a serious dilemma. Because the team was perceived to be undisciplined and hard to coach and its supporters considered among the most hard to please, the team had a problem attracting a coach.

wholehearted support
    With no coach expressing a willingness to work with them, the Granville players insisted that since Mrs. Reid had chosen not to desert them as administrator, she should take on the coaching duties as well. They promised her their wholehearted support and she accepted the task.

While her tenure as coach has not always been smooth, no one can seriously question that Mrs. Reid, who has coached Granville to their first Captain's Bakery Western Super League title, has had a positive impact on the team in terms of discipline, commitment and results.

In fact, in looking at the Granville team in recent competitions in which they have been involved in, one gets the distinct impression that they are on a mission to reward Mrs. Reid for sticking with them through the rough and the smooth.

respect and admiration
    As a fan looking on, I have nothing but total respect and admiration for Mrs. Reid. Despite the hectic job as coach, she is still the team's administrator, handling issues such as venue preparation, transporation and just about every other administrative function.

While other persons have been stepping up to the plate within recent times and offering some much-needed assistance, on Wednesday afternoon as I watched Mrs. Reid remarking the lines at the Catherine Hall Stadium prior to the game between Granville and St. Georges, I could not help but marvel at the level to which she has taken commitment.

In looking at Mrs. Reid's devotion to football as not only the proverbial head cook and bottle-washer at Granville, but also as an executive member of the St. James Football Association, I think a place in local football history would be more than deserving.

NB. send your feedback to adrianfrater@hotmailcom
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I wish her all the best!

Is she going to sit any coaching exams one day?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nice

That's what you call drive and determination. What would her kids really try to tell her if they bring home a bad report from school ?

I really hope she is not too busy to go take a higher level coaching and management course whether Granville makes it to the NPL or not because with her attention to small things (club exec marking the field) we could use her higher up the football hierarchy (and I don't mean just for women's football) because it's not lack of knowledge that's killing us -we know how the thing suppose to look - its rather our national disregard of attention to details that's stopping us at all levels. Too many NPL coaches still bemoan the lack of finishing in in the post game interview then dont follow up and do anything about it the week after in practice.
      SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

I dont hink commitment is why she was left to mark the field but it is wutlissnes by the men and others around her like her husband who plays for the team. Why couldnt they attend to it.

Why was it left so late and the field wasnt marked earlier...that it was left so late speaks of poor management.

Sorry to pour cold water on this but her being a one man band is nothing new in football, matter of fact this is the reason why so many clubs including Wadadah has failed.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
        X