• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPL dream team of the season?

Garth Crooks' team of the season

By Garth Crooks
    BBC football reporter and Score pundit

As another brilliant season comes to an end, I have picked my Premiership team of the year.

What do you think? Do you agree with my choices? Click on the link and tell me who you think should be involved instead of the players below.
    I have plumped for a 4-3-3 formation, with maybe a surprise or two thrown in there...

BEN FOSTER (Watford)

Ben has been magnificent - just pipping David James for me - and he has shown everyone why Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United - his parent club - has invested so much faith in him.

He will soon be the number one goalkeeper in England, if he continues to progress in the way he has.
    I think his season with Watford has benefited him and the club. They went down because they did not score enough goals, not because they let in too many.

EMMANUEL EBOUE (Arsenal)

Emmanuel is a prodigious talent, one of the best right-backs I have seen for some considerable time.

He is audacious in attack and uncompromising in defence. There are not many full-backs who can defend and attack with the same intensity and he has displayed that time and time again.

The Ivorian displays the style of a Brazillian player and we are not used to seeing someone like this in the Premiership.

NICKY SHOREY (Reading)

Nicky has perhaps been the outstanding find in the Premiership this season. He has been truly magnificent.

He has been almost ever-present and his standard of football has earned his selection in the England B international later this month.

There is Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge and I think you have to now add Nicky Shorey to that list. He is very capable of stepping into the breach if needed by England.

RIO FERDINAND (Manchester United)

What can you say about Rio that has not already been said? He is the consummate defender, a player almost Alan Hansen-esque, very different to the likes of John Terry, say.

He has had an outstanding season and has held the captain's armband with distinction when Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs were not available.

For me, he has done as much as anyone else to ensure the Premiership title ended up back at Manchester United this season.

NEMANJA VIDIC (Manchester United)

I think Rio has been instrumental in bringing on his defensive partner's game this season and Vidic has all those aggressive qualities that maybe are not attributed to Ferdinand.

Vidic is the one who attacks everything, he is very committed and this partnership reminds me very much of Gary Pallister and Steve Bruce.

I think Vidic and Ferdinand have formed a relationship very quickly and they seem to complement each other very well indeed.

MICHAEL ESSIEN (Chelsea)

Michael is phenomenal. What a remarkable season he has had! He is a quietly spoken young man off the field and a pocket battleship on the field.

He has played in every position, bar that of goalkeeper, and has played in each of those roles with distinction. This kid is the closest thing I have ever seen to Bryan Robson, in terms of commitment, tackling ability and getting from box to box.

Michael is an all-round footballer, he can just do it all. He can play in any position and play there to a very high level.

STEVEN GERRARD (Liverpool)

I think Steven and Kaka are the two best midfield players in the world. When Steven is playing at his best for Liverpool or England, neither of those teams are going to lose.

I wonder sometimes why, when he is so dominant for Liverpool, he does not quite seem to be able to do the same for England as often.

Steven is such a phenomenal player, a marvellous talent. England are very lucky to have him and should be building a team around the ability of Steven Gerrard.

CRISTIANO RONALDO (Manchester United)

The Professional Footballers' Association Young Player of the Year, PFA Player of the Year, the Writers' Association Footballer of the Year - the accolades tell the story of Cristiano's season.

He is without any doubt one of the top three players in the world at the moment. What he has to do now is try to maintain his extraordinarily high level of performances.

He is at the top of his profession and what he needs to do to join the greats like Diego Maradona and Johan Cruyff is win things consistently throughout his career.

CARLOS TEVEZ (West Ham United)

The man in the headlines. Whatever you think about this situation, if you just look at his return of goals and the impact he has had on West Ham, it has just been remarkable.

Tevez, Mark Noble and Robert Green are the three reasons West Ham are staying up but Tevez's goals and his all-round inspirational performances have been extraordinary.
    It is just better than fiction, this story. If you had taken this script to a film production company they would have told you this sort of thing does not happen.

DIMITAR BERBATOV (Tottenham Hotspur)

We are talking about a player who is cultured, sophisticated, a footballing artist. He is just so pleasing on the eye to football fans.

He has been magnificent and he is getting better and I believe the Spurs players have benefited from playing with him, especially the likes of Robbie Keane and Jermaine Jenas.

It will be very interesting to see if Spurs can hold on to him because I think he is the one player that all the top clubs - in England and Europe - would want to sign.

DIDIER DROGBA (Chelsea)

Last year Didier was the subject of some mirth but I always believed he was the best centre-forward in the Premiership since Alan Shearer. He leads the line so well, never shirks his responsibility and is used as a battering ram by Chelsea, who play to him all the time and use him so relentlessly that he never gets a real rest.

He has proved what a great goalscorer he is and he has scored some truly magnificent goals too, as well as all-but ironing out the flaw in his game where he falls over easily.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

4-3-3! Okay! Garth Crooks drunk or something? No Paul Scholes? No Ryan Giggs?

4-3-3 and no Benny McCarthy?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      4-3-3! Okay! Garth Crooks drunk or something? No Paul Scholes? No Ryan Giggs?

4-3-3 and no Benny McCarthy?
      Put up fi yuh team, nuh sah?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Season done .. suh i can acknowledge the insurgents now!

4-4-2
        Cech

Eboue Rio Vidic Evra

Essien Scholes
        Ronaldo Giggs

Drogba Berbatov

4-3-3

Cech

Eboue Rio Vidic Evra
        Essien
        Ronaldo Giggs

Berba Drogba Benny
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Season done .. suh i can acknowledge the insurgents now!

4-4-2
          Cech

Eboue Rio Vidic Evra

Essien Scholes
          Ronaldo Giggs

Drogba Berbatov

4-3-3

Cech

Eboue Rio Vidic Evra
          Essien
          Ronaldo Giggs

Berba Drogba Benny
          Good!

Mine! ----->

James

Eboue (The one before he got injuried. After injury he tended to be too casual...which led to multiple mistakes) Terry Vidic Clichy (Best defender/most consistent player at the back on the left - end of story)

Essien Fabregas (Day in-Day out, night in-night out this guy made the most goalscoring opportunites for TEAM) Makelele

The good thing about this trio is each is not rooted to operating on any particular side of the pitch - They would be attacking, defending - right, left in the middle - each right at home!

Drogba Rooney

Here I have my dream team where formation is an after-thought! Perfect members -perfect fit for rotation of entire outplayer(s)TEAM...with behind them a goalkeeper in absolutely 'fantabulous' form as shot blocker, starter of attack...and courageous and dependable last defender!

...ooooh! My "Best player in the EPL" for the just concluded season - MICHAEL ESSIEN! ...in my mind, winnaaaaaaaaaaah by the proverbial mile!

Comment

Karl, a only 10 players me count!

Comment

There is a bit of a problem -

Ronaldo - forward who is equally effective on either side of the field...and, who does a good job at defending...

Scholes - who is all over the field -...attacking and defending...and

Steven Gerrard?! - I guess I'll flip a coin....no hold that...saying Steven Gerrard and thinking that is enough on this guy...then Gerrard it is!

So the correction is -

James

Eboue, Terry, Vidic, Clichy

Mekelele

Essien, Gerrard, Fabregas,

Drogba & Rooney

Thank you, sir!

Comment

A wah do yuh Mr. President? Yuh nuh see seh de man select Essien and Michael Essien? Yuh caan count?!!!!
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  A wah do yuh Mr. President? Yuh nuh see seh de man select Essien and Michael Essien? Yuh caan count?!!!!
                  Ah think yuh have a point! Good one!

Comment

Kuszczak, Rio, Brown, Fletcher(Alves), Evra,Smith, Scholes(Kaka),Ronaldo, Rooney,Saha and Giggs.
                    EPL Dream Team!

Blessed

Comment

Working...
                    X