Don't expect England winger Raheem Sterling to dazzle like I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't expect England winger Raheem Sterling to dazzle like I

John Barnes: Don't expect England winger Raheem Sterling to dazzle like I did in Brazil
    Barnes says Hodgson’s teams just don’t let flair players flourish
    Former Liverpool star pleads with fans to be patient with Sterling
    Barnes says Sterling was the best attacking player in England
    By ROB DRAPER
    PUBLISHED: 16:06 EST, 31 May 2014 | UPDATED: 18:46 EST, 31 May 2014
    18 shares 43View
    comments
    John Barnes rejects the similarities instinctively, as though fearful of the debate becoming trite.

Both he and Raheem Sterling were born in Jamaica, played as wingers for England and Liverpool and have borne the nation's hopes for the team's creativity and flair at the World Cup finals.

'We're both from Jamaica and that's about it,' says Barnes dismissively 'He's right-footed and small. I'm left-footed and average size.' However, having established the differences, he warms to his theme.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wor...#ixzz33R8ZYE3I
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by Karl; June 2, 2014, 01:08 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

I like how Barnes zoned in in the 1 -2 intelligence ,something we lack on the midfield and attacking 3rd.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Sterling not quite as skilled as Barnes but Barnes nowhere as fast as Sterling.
      Too bad the English manager gas no idea how to use these most unusual talents england has assembled for this cup.

Lallana, Sturridge, Sterling, Rooney can alll create, carry and cause mayhem individually and in combination if they can get on the same page England's weak points are an exaggerated fascination' with certain 'homegrown lads' specifically Rooney and Gerard are overexposed and under protected in their specific roles. Gerrard in order to succeed must have some cover in the firm of a aggressive ball winning, good passer dm which England doesn't really have, they need to play 4-5-1 to survive their group and need that killer dm which potentially a converted Shaw could provide or some say a jack wilshire not sure about that! Terry would have been the man to fill that role, even at 33. Rooney also needs some protection which Sturridge can provide as front man and let Rooney run attack out of mid or switch it around between Sterling, Lilliana and Rooney throughout the game that will really create mayhem for opposing sides.
      Johnson is also a weakness in defense and the extra dm in 4-5-1 could be some help there.

The side has great attacking potential if the manger can unleash the right players, I suspect he will not and we will be instead seeing lampard and welbeck etc.

Comment

Working...
      X