AC Milan v Liverpool

Champions League final
    Date: Wednesday, 23 May
    Kick-off: 1945 BST
    Venue: Olympic Stadium, Athens
    Watch (in UK): ITV1 and Sky Sports One
    Listen: BBC Radio Five Live
    Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile
    AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti must decide between Filippo Inzaghi and Alberto Gilardino to play up front in the Champions League final in Athens.

But he has been boosted by the return from a knee injury of Paolo Maldini, who will play in his eighth final.

Boudewijn Zenden and Momo Sissoko are slight doubts, although both are expected to be fully fit by Wednesday.

Xabi Alonso's inclusion could depend on whether Steven Gerrard plays on the right or in central midfield.

News conference: Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez
    Report: Anfield faithful descend on Athens
    Interview: Owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks
    Interview: Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry

Liverpool's first-choice keeper Jose Reina and back-up Jerzy Dudek have both been passed fit.

Bolo can bring character, experience and tactical knowledge to the team

Rafael Benitez

Reina injured a shoulder at Fulham and was left out of the final home league game against Charlton as a precaution.

But the Spaniard trained normally last week in La Manga and is available - as is Dudek who has been suffering with a groin problem.

Manager Rafael Benitez will make no decision on Zenden until further checks on the injury.

Benitez said: "It will be difficult to say Boudewijn will be fit for the final now, but I won't say 'no' yet.

"He is strong and determined and it may recover quickly. I still hope he will be OK.

"It will be a big disappointment for him and for us if it's not possible. He can bring character, experience and tactical knowledge to the team."

Liverpool go into the game definitely without injured duo Luis Garcia and Fabio Aurelio, but Benitez is also hopeful Mohamed Sissoko will be available.

Milan fielded virtually a second-string side in their 3-2 defeat to Udinese at the San Siro on Saturday.

606: DEBATE
    Are you an AC Milan fan going to Athens?

And coach Ancelotti admitted he has already decided on his team, and on who will partner Kaka up front.

"Inzaghi scores more goals, but Gilardino's support work is better," he said. "I've already decided on my team but I haven't told the players yet.

"Everyone deserves to play, not only the eleven who start the match. We will have to play our own game in the knowledge it will be difficult to play the ball around against a team that gives very little space.

"But I can say that the squad is in good shape. We have worked well, and we are ready for Wednedsay."

German official Herbert Fandel will referee Wednesday's game in the Olympic Stadium.

Fandel, 43, has been in charge of three of Liverpool's Champions League matches - the last being the 1-0 defeat by Barcelona at Anfield in March - and he has handled five Milan matches in the European Cup.

Carsten Kadach and Volker Wezel are assistant referees, with Florian Meyer the fourth official.

BIG MATCH STATS
    Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.
    Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.
    European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).
    Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

AC Milan and Liverpool's only previous meeting in European competition was the epic Champions League final of 2005, which ended in a 3-3 draw. The English club had recovered from a 3-0 half-time deficit, and eventually won 3-2 on penalties.

Eight of AC Milan's starting eleven that night - Dida, Cafu, Maldini, Nesta, Kaka, Pirlo, Gattuso and Seedorf - are still with the club, as is second half substitute Serginho. Milan's opening goal in that final was scored by Paolo Maldini after just 53 seconds and is one of only two first minute goals in a Champions Cup/Champions League final, the other (timing in seconds is unknown) was scored by Real Madrid's Enrique Mateos in the 1959 final. Maldini's goal also made him the oldest Champions Cup/Champions League goalscorer at 36 years 333 days. Nine of Liverpool players that started that final - Dudek, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Alonso, Luis Garcia, Gerrard and Kewell - are still at the club.

AC Milan have played one other European final against an English club. They defeated Leeds 1-0 in the 1973 Cup Winners' Cup. Liverpool have played two other European finals against Italian clubs, winning one and losing one. They won the 1984 Champions Cup against AS Roma 4-2 on penalties, having drawn 1-1 after 120 minutes. The Merseysiders were defeated 0-1 by Juventus in the climax to the 1985 Champions Cup.

European history

AC Milan have played in 13 European finals, winning eight and losing five. In the Champions Cup/Champions League, they have played in 10 previous finals, winning six and losing four.

Liverpool have played in 10 European finals, winning eight and losing two. In the Champions Cup/Champions League, the Merseysiders have only lost once in six finals.

Current European form

Both clubs have lost three Champions League matches this season. Milan succumbed to AEK Athens, Lille and Manchester United, while Liverpool were defeated by Galatasaray, Barcelona and Chelsea.

Both clubs entered the competition in the third qualifying round, and repeated history. The last two teams to reach the final coming from qualifying were Liverpool in 2004-05 and AC Milan in 2002-03.

Player and disciplinary info

Paolo Maldini will be playing in his eighth Champions Cup/Champions League final, equalling the record set by Real Madrid's "Paco" Gento in the 1950s and 1960s.

Alessandro Costacurta can become the fourth man to play in at least six finals and Clarence Seedorf can become the 11th to play in at least five.

Both Costacurta and Maldini can win the competition for the fifth time, one short of Gento's record of six. The only other players to have won it five times are Alfredo di Stefano and Jose Zarraga.

Paolo Maldini (38) will be the oldest player ever to captain a Champions Cup/Champions League team if he plays. He will break the 46 year old record set by Barcelona goalkeeper Antonio Ramallets (36) in 1961. Alessandro Costacurta (41) can become the oldest outfield player ever in a Champions Cup/Champions League final.

Maldini is the only Italian to have played 100 Champions League matches. He reached his century in the first leg of this year's second round match against Celtic.

Clarence Seedorf can become the first player to win four Champions League titles.

Jamie Carragher is Liverpool's most experienced player in the Champions League with 52 appearances, one ahead of his team mate John Arne Riise. Luis Garcia has scored 10 goals in the Champions League, more than any other Liverpool player.

Other miscellaneous facts

This match will be AC Milan's 300th in European competition. If they score two goals they will have recorded 500 in European competition. They also need to score three times to record 350 in Champions Cup/Champions League matches.

The 2007 Champions League final will be the 58th match of the season for both clubs.

Six Liverpool players have played in at least 48 matches for the club this season. The list is headed by Jermaine Pennant (50) and completed by Reina, Carragher, Gerrard (49 each), Xabi Alonso and Peter Crouch (48 each).

The AC Milan players with the most appearances this season are Clarence Seedorf (49), Andrea Pirlo (48) and Marek Jankulovski (47).

AC Milan head coach Carlo Ancelotti is one of only five people to have won this competition as a player and a coach. He won as a player with AC Milan in 1989 and 1990 and as a coach in 2003.

Both head coaches are going for their second triumph in the Champions Cup/Champions League. Liverpool's Bob Paisley is the only manager to have won the competition three times (1977, 1978 and 1981). Current head coach Rafael Benitez has now reached a European final in three of the last four seasons. He won the previous two with Valencia (Uefa Cup 2004) and Liverpool (Champions League 2005).

Liverpool can equal AC Milan's six Champions Cup/Champions League wins. Only Real Madrid (nine) have more. The Spanish record of 11 Champions Cup/Champions League titles will be equalled, regardless of which club wins the match. Both Italy and England currently have 10. If Liverpool win, Spain's record of 29 European titles will be equalled by English clubs.

Venue

Athens is the third city to host the Champions League Final twice. Munich (1993 and 1997) and Saint-Denis (2000 and 2006) have also served as the venue on more than one occasion. In 1993-94, AC Milan thrashed Barcelona 4-0 in the final at the Athens Olympic Stadium.

The Greek capital also welcomed the 1982-83 Champions Cup final (when Hamburg beat Juventus 1-0), and the 1986-87 Cup Winners' Cup final (when Ajax prevailed against Lokomotive Leipzig 1-0).

Players with fond memories of the stadium are Paolo Maldini, who played in the 1993-94 final, and Alessandro Costacurta, who was a part of Milan's winning campaign that season, but was suspended for the final. Also Liverpool's Javier Mascherano, because on 28 August 2004, he won an Olympic gold medal for Argentina, beating Paraguay in the final of the Athens Summer Games.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

No special Kaka plans - Benitez

No special Kaka plans - Benitez

Benitez does not expect a repeat of 2005 final
    Champions League final
    Date: Wednesday, 23 May
    Kick-off: 1945 BST
    Venue: Olympic Stadium, Athens
    Watch (in UK): ITV1 and Sky Sports One
    Listen: BBC Radio Five Live
    Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile
    Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez says his team will not man-mark AC Milan forward Kaka in the Champions League final.

The Brazilian has scored 10 times in the competition this season - with three of those goals coming against Manchester United in the semi-finals.

Ahead of Wednesday's game Benitez said: "We know Kaka is a very good player but our system is to mark in zones.

"We'll do the same in the final. We'll try to control the player, for sure, but also the ball and the space."

News conference: Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez
    Report: Anfield faithful descend on Athens
    Interview: Owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks
    Interview: Former Liverpool star Steve McManaman

Two years ago when the two sides met in the Champions League final in Istanbul, Kaka had a superb first-half as the Italian side took a three-goal lead, before Liverpool scored three goals in six minutes and went on to win 3-2 on penalties.

"We cannot just worry about Kaka," Benitez added: "Milan are a very good team, in defence, in midfield. But we must concentrate on our own game.

We also don't want to concede a goal in the first minute as we did last time

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez

"Compared to two years ago we're stronger and have more experience. We've a stronger squad and better players."

Liverpool and Milan might have shared six goals in the 2005 final, but Benitez predicted this year's Champions League showpiece would be a low-scoring affair.

"I prefer to think that Wednesay's match is going to be very tough, very close and with not many goals.

"We also don't want to concede a goal in the first minute as we did last time.

"Before the last final I was asked what I thought the score was going to be and I said 1-0, so what do I know.

"For me, 2005 the best final in the history of the competition.

Kaka celebrates after scoring against Man Utd in the San Siro

"Although I don't think we'll see a game like that again, I would take it if the score was the same but I would probably need a doctor."

Meanwhile striker Craig Bellamy says he is desperate to play in the final to silence his critics.

Bellamy, 27, has been a controversial figure for much of his career but he believes Wednesday's game will be his defining moment.

"If it happens, everything I have done, all the rubbish I have gone through, it all becomes worthwhile," he said.

"Then it doesn't matter what anyone has said or written about me, I'll have the biggest trophy of all in my pocket."

Bellamy has endured a chequered career and was forced to leave Newcastle in 2005 following arguments with team-mates.

Apart from the World Cup final, which I will never play in, this is the biggest event of my life

Craig Bellamy

He was also at the centre of controversy after allegedly hitting Liverpool's John Arne Riise with a golf club during a training camp in Portugal in February.

"There is no guarantee I will be involved but I aim to be in the squad, grasp the opportunity and relish being in such a final.

"It is something I have been working for all my life. This has always been my goal, my aim to play in the biggest competition in the world.

"Apart from the World Cup final, which I know I am not ever going to play in, this is the biggest event of my life."

Bellamy also played down reports he will be sold by Liverpool in the summer after only one season at Anfield.

"I'm used to it. No matter where I have been, whatever club, I'm used to it," stated Bellamy.

"It was always the same at Newcastle. I have always seemingly been about to be off somewhere else.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Tactical Analysis from the BBC

AC Milan and Liverpool meet in the Champions League final on Wednesday in a repeat of two years ago and Mark Lawrenson provides a tactical analysis.
      I don't think it will be 3-3 like the last time these teams met - when Liverpool won on penalties.

I expect a slightly attritional game. Liverpool don't want an open game and will not allow it because they don't play that way and Milan can be the same.

I don't envisage many goals, if any, and I certainly see it going to extra time, maybe penalties.

There is one key battle, which is in midfield.
      When AC Milan beat Manchester United in the second leg of their semi-final, Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs did not influence the game but the thing is they never had the ball.

I thought the four Milan midfielders and Kaka - because of where he was situated - did a fantastic job of winning possession and having far more of the ball than Manchester United, especially in the danger areas.

If Liverpool are going to win the competition that is where they need to be at their most competitive and keen.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez might spring a surprise with his team selection. He has done it quite a few times.
      We had Harry Kewell starting a couple of years back and he threw Boudewijn Zenden in against Chelsea in the semi-final.

I was at Liverpool's last game against Charlton and Kewell looked fit and fresh so that's a possibility.

One thing about Benitez is that you can rarely guess his team for these really big games.

You can get eight or nine but it is very rare you can guess his 11. He

is not rigid "

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez might go with striker Dirk Kuyt up front on his own and Steven Gerrard in a free role.
      If Milan play Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Nesta you might want Craig Bellamy in for his pace but I don't think he trusts him.

And I can't see him playing Kuyt and Peter Crouch together.

He might play one striker and have the insurance of Gerrard in a floating position.

He can be a bit like the really good boy in the school playground who goes wherever the ball is, which might not be a bad thing.

AC Milan play either Alberto Gilardino or Fillipo Inzahghi up front but they are sacrificial lambs.
      They don't play anything up to them, everything goes through the midfield - the real core element of the team.

The midfield is so strong and the balance is fantastic.

Massimo Ambrosino and Gennaro Gattuso are good at getting the ball back and they protect Andrea Pirlo, who is a bit like the quarterback.

For five years I wondered what Clarence Seedorf did but he was great against Manchester United, up and down all the time.

When Milan played Manchester United the plan was to surround Cristiano Ronaldo when he got the ball, stop him playing or, even better, not let him get the ball.
      If they have the same idea for Steven Gerrard you might want to let him roam if you are Liverpool.

If you play Gerrard on the right he will have Kakha Kaladze and Clarence Seedorf to face.

In a way, it will be like Kaka but coming from deeper and having licence and freedom to roam.

For Milan it is all about when Kaka wants the ball, where he wants it and how you get it to him.

Comment

This is the type of teaching we need in
        Ja to mark zones and not players. I don't think we have the training and discipline to mark zones. This is why Mexico and the US is now getting the better of us. We give them too much space. The prof. had us doing this but ah well. Brasil deals with Zones, I can recall a game with JA and Brasil and everyone was saying that Fuller should pass into space to Ralph. For the life of me they could not understand when I told them that cafu et al was waiting for the pass (guys have a lot of Brasil games) they already closed out that zone and set the trap. Brasil has a way forcing you into a play then taking the ball; it's called forward thinking and anticipation. Only creativity can defeat these schemes. We need teachers to teach us football.

Comment

Jus move an g'wey JAWGE.

Yaard man already know how ball fe roll. Bout "we need teachers".

Juss move an g'wey with dem argu'ment dey.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

dem did run mi aready

Comment

Yep yuh caan tell C.B nuttin ask BURELL !

Comment

PENNANT: IT'S A DREAM COME TRUE
                Lee Brown in Athens 22 May 2007
                Liverpool midfielder Jermaine Pennant looked forward to tomorrow's Champions League Final against AC Milan and declared, "It's a dream come true."
                Speaking in front of the world's media at Athens' Olympic Stadium, Pennant said he couldn't wait for the game to begin and he's equally determined to make an impact should Rafa put him on the biggest stage of his career so far.

"Anyone would love to be involved in a Champions League Final," said Pennant. "Not many players get the opportunity to do it so it's brilliant for me. To play in one in my first season is a great achievement for the club and for me personally.

"It's a great honour to be involved and it's something you dream of. Liverpool have shown a lot of faith in me and hopefully I can repay that faith if I'm picked tomorrow. Being at a big club like this gives me a chance to shine."

Tomorrow's game will bring to end Pennant's first season as a Liverpool player and having now settled, he is hoping to sign off by helping the Reds make it six of the best.

"I think I've settled in well now," says Pennant. "I just can't wait for the game to kick off. AC Milan have got some great experience and they showed what they can do against Manchester United, but we've got our game plan and we'll stick to that. Hopefully it will be a great night the clubs and our fans."

'WE DESERVE TO BE HERE - NOW LET'S WIN IT!'
                Paul Eaton in Athens 22 May 2007
                Rafael Benitez has told his players not to waste their opportunity to seize more Champions League glory inside the Olympic Stadium tomorrow night.
                At a light-hearted and occasionally jovial pre-match press conference deep in the bowels of the Athens stadium, the Liverpool manager spoke passionately about his determination to bring European football's most important trophy back to Anfield once again.

Benitez fielded numerous questions from journalists from many countries during his half hour in front of the cameras - but his message throughout to his players remained the same: 'Make yourselves heroes'.

"We are here because we have been doing the right things and we deserve to be here," he said.

"The players have worked hard all season and I will be telling them before kick off not to waste this opportunity. If we can play well and win then it will be perfect, but if not then they must come off the field knowing they have done their best.

"We worked hard in the training camp to prepare the game and the players are focused on ready. We know what we need to do but playing a Champions League final is never easy. It wasn't easy last time and it won't be easy this time.

"We have a lot of respect for Milan, they are a very good side with a lot of experience and we saw from their game against Manchester United what they can do. If they play like that again and have a lot of the ball then it will be harder for us, but we have prepared how to control their players, the ball and the space on the pitch. We are ready now."

Benitez isn't anticipating another Istanbul-style thriller - but believes whichever team strikes first will hold a big advantage.

"It is going to be a tough match and I think the team who scores first will have a great chance," he said. "Our plan definitely doesn't include conceding in the first minute again!

"If you said to me now it will be the same as Istanbul and that we will win again then I'd take that. But I don't want to go through that kind of match again because I think I'd need a doctor this time!

"The key tomorrow is remembering why we are here and playing the way we have done in Europe all season."

Asked by different reporters to explain his secret in enjoying such great success in European competition, Benitez was keen to pay tribute to his backroom team.

"My staff are the key," he said. "We have good people, good workers. When you have a good staff then you can be successful. Of course we have good players as well. Everything is good.

"I know there has been talk about what we'll do after the game but, believe me, I'm not interested in that at the moment. All I am doing is concentrating on tomorrow's game. We have 90 minutes of our season left and we're focused on winning one more match."

The Reds will have a final training session at the stadium this evening, when fitness checks on Bolo Zenden and Momo Sissoko will be made.

Harry Kewell is definitely available, with Benitez revealing he is fit enough to play 90 minutes if necessary.

"I have decisions to make on the team," he added. "We have 22 players here so four of them won't be involved at all tomorrow.

"Of those who will be in the squad I have good options, but we'll decide later on after training."

Comment

Seriously though: I feel it
                  wid the same zone thing. It's engrained in our psyche. Why? because it's easier to mark the man (not much thought involved here) Okay I had a game and instructed my central defender about the importance about marking the space around the box (even practiced it) in game guses what? Attackers kept moving around in the box I'm on the sideline shouting mark the space mi central literally follwed a player out of the box, guess what the corner was floated over and the opposition headed home for goal Just rush in and took the frebie.Now our local experts would have said how nobody nuh mark that man? How when they are constantly moving; discipline and concentration mark your space. One second and a leap in the air and your mark is lost. ah well

Comment

Pennat is not top notch quality,
                    you will see Wednesday.

Comment

Rafa Benitez In Barcelona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHF5OvjAxgU

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SHF5OvjAxgU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SHF5OvjAxgU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

We will talk after the game , i want to hear all the excuses.3-0 0r 3 -1, pool , Kuyt 2 , 3rd will be anyone goal.

Balance!

Comment

lightening rarely strikes twice

Comment

Working...
                          X