X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake up call from Warner

Wake up call from Warner

Western Bureau
    While some people might want to accuse CONCACAF boss Jack Warner of meddling in the affairs of Jamaica's football, in declaring that we are not getting value for money from coach Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, I totally agree with the sentiments he expressed.
    While I could accept Bora's going to Hong Kong with the national team for the 'friendly' Lunar Cup instead of making the important trip to Mexico with the Under-20 team for their World Cup qualifiers, his low-keyed role in the recent Under-17 World Cup qualifier, which was staged right here in Jamaica, is much cause for concern.
    Although I have never had the good fortune of hearing the details of his job description, which the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) is treating like a state secret, unless the federation is extremely daft, I could not see them paying Bora so much money without a carefully crafted plan to ensure that he earns every cent.

bora too expensive
    As I wrote in a previous column, I believe that Bora's four-year $263 million price tag is far too much money for a poor country like Jamaica to be spending on a football coach, when we are here struggling to offer our taxpayers a proper health service, good roads and a decent education system.
    However, in view of the fact that coach Bora is already here and is obviously being paid, I believe we should be milking out every bit of the considerable expertise, which he has reportedly used to guide teams such as Mexico, Costa Rica, the United States and China to the World Cup.
    As I also stated in a previous column, I cannot understand why we have coach Bora here in Jamaica looking at players who are unlikely to figure in the upcoming 2010 World Cup qualifiers, instead of having him setting up regular training camps in the United Kingdom and the United States, where the real candidates for consideration are playing in the various pro leagues.
    Unless Bora is capable of transforming our ordinary crop of local players into stars overnight, I believe the nucleus of Jam-aica's team for the 'Back to Africa' campaign should come from the likes of Donovan Rick-ettes, Tyrone Marshall, Claude Davis, Jermaine Johnson, Luton Shelton, Ricardo Fuller, Ricardo Gardener, Jason Euell, Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Shane Crawford and Fabian Dawkins, who are all based overseas.
    With Bora here in Jamaica twiddling his thumbs and our various national teams - women's, Under-17 and Under-20 - all falling by the wayside in the various tournaments, it would appear that our football is in a free fall, especially if one should add the fiasco with the academy in St. Elizabeth to the mix.
    While one could argue that there is some amount of truth to the current administration's claim that their detractors have been constantly giving them a hard time, their current lame-duck posture is certainly not helping their cause.
    Regardless of what direction the tide is turning ahead of the upcoming JFF voting in Nov-ember Congress, this admin-istration was elected to serve our football and they have an obligation to do so, regardless of whether they are getting phe-nomenal or marginal results. That is why I support Mr. Warner's sentiments that we need to get coach Bora to start doing some real work. If he is going to stay here in Jamaica, instead of going on the road as he should be doing, then his presence should be felt in all our football endeavours.
    Last edited by Mosiah; May 21, 2007, 01:16 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

When Prof.Simoes would run around with all
    the national teams, unnuh would ah cuss an say him fi leff dem alone an stap micro manage. Now that it is plain as day on coaching unnuh want Bora fi tek all di teams dem. Wha dem say cow neva know di use ah him tail till........ Weeping, wailing, moaning an gnashing of teeth. Prof.Simoes is a child of God, di man did see wi an luv wi an wi diss so now why complain.

Comment

I'm personally going to spearhead that campaign for his statue.

Mi cyaan tek it nuh more from yuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And a second coming would
        suffice too.

Comment

Yuh a aks fi too much now!

But Jawge, if Canada reject him, wah mek we haffi scrape him up?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
            When Prof.Simoes would run around with all
            the national teams, unnuh would ah cuss an say him fi leff dem alone an stap micro manage. Now that it is plain as day on coaching unnuh want Bora fi tek all di teams dem. Wha dem say cow neva know di use ah him tail till........ Weeping, wailing, moaning an gnashing of teeth. Prof.Simoes is a child of God, di man did see wi an luv wi an wi diss so now why complain.
            Not only that Jawge, but the Prof. made himself available for the job recently (asking for less than a half of what Bora was asking for), and it seem many here werent too keen on him coming back to work with our footballers.

Rene came and identified the need to bring in additional support staff to help out with the development of our football, he brought in physical trainers, Youth Trechnical directors, goal-keeping coaches etc, he mangede every aspect of our football.

Whil eI'm not writing off Bora at all, and i have faith in his abilities...I am not sure he will ever be able to do this thing on his own. And quiete frnakly, I do not see him being able to be afforded the luxury of brining in support staff from overseas. It should be plain for everyone to see by now that the local coaches are not up to scratch. Our failed under-20s and under-17s proves that fact.
            President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Yuh a aks fi too much now!

But Jawge, if Canada reject him, wah mek we haffi scrape him up?
              Canada rejected Simoes at their own perril. Rumors have it that he is on his way to Haiti. Watch Haiti qualify for Africa 2010!
              President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Repeating untruths often enough turns it into fact

"...which he has reportedly used to guide teams such as Mexico, Costa Rica, the United States and China to the World Cup. "

When are we ever going to learn to stop believing this myth used to justify US$1M per year in non-performance-based salry?

BORA DID NOT GUIDE OR QUALIFY ANY NATIONAL TEAM TO A WORLD CUP.

In ALL cases, he was given a team after they had already qualified. He has great tournament experience, but hardly any experience in the rough and tumble world on WC qualification.

Puss in bag, again......but one of the most expensive pussies in the world.

Comment

So dem fi suffa then, ah
                  so wi stay wi nuh waan good. Imagine if the Prof was here; our youth team would be in Brasil, YES BRASIL going up against quality competition. Instead they played the Parsih all stars and thought they are ready for INT'L ball. Mi nuh haff nutten more fi say. Lord, Lord forgive them for they know not what they do. Nuh sarry fi wi cause is dat wi choose.

Comment

HAHAHA!

Yes, it's time our news people get this right. Still, accuracy has never been important for many of them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Were we already qualified when di Prof. came?

Comment

I'm shocked you don't already know the answer to your question!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

di bigga shock ah come nuh worry

Comment

Originally posted by DweetSweet View Post
                            "...which he has reportedly used to guide teams such as Mexico, Costa Rica, the United States and China to the World Cup. "

When are we ever going to learn to stop believing this myth used to justify US$1M per year in non-performance-based salry?

BORA DID NOT GUIDE OR QUALIFY ANY NATIONAL TEAM TO A WORLD CUP.

In ALL cases, he was given a team after they had already qualified. He has great tournament experience, but hardly any experience in the rough and tumble world on WC qualification.

Puss in bag, again......but one of the most expensive pussies in the world.
                            Well, never mind the fact that he didnt actually qualify these teams to the world cup...the important thing here is that the man has coached all of the top teams in CONCACAF (Mex, US, CRC - he also coached Honduras too), and has coached at the world cup finals on with 5 different countries. any way you choose to look at it, the man's resume is VERY impressive! I am pretty sure that he will want to add Jamaica to th eleist of sides he has coached at the finals.

Comment

But is there a difference between taking a side to the WC and coaching a side already there? I think the difference is huge. In fact, no guarantee that a coach that qualifies a side to the World Cup can do anything meaningful with them at the WC. Likewise, a coach who can bring results with a side already in the WC, may not be able to qualify a side to it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X