X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched that game again - Wenger

Wenger - Chelsea can box clever in the FA Cup Final

By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger believes Chelsea’s comeback at Emirates Stadium proves they are capable of landing a knockout blow against Manchester United in the FA Cup Final on Saturday.

The Frenchman argues that winning the title has given Sir Alex Ferguson’s side a slight psychological edge but, at the same time, the Stamford Bridge side have a mentality of a boxer. They are happy to soak up punishment then seek to capitalise when their opponents are weary. Their 1-1 draw with Arsenal on May 6 was the perfect example.

“I watched that game again,” said Wenger just before the end of the Premiership campaign. “You always leave the pitch with your last impression and that is sometimes dangerous.

“In the first 25 minutes of the second half we dominated the game. But then it became too easy, too show-off. When it came back to 1-1 our heads dropped and they thought ‘oh maybe we can do something special here and keep it all alive’. They had a fantastic response.

“That is a little [characteristic] of Chelsea. I feel they are like a boxer. They let you box, box, box then when you are half-dead they kill you off because they have that natural individual strength in their bodies. Take Essien, Mikel or Lampard. In the 85th minute they can go through you like [a knife] through butter.”
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X